PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Problems

ledzilla
10-31-2016, 10:11 AM
This is not for my Marauder, another car. But I went to install a new fuel level sender/pickup tube. There's no electric fuel pump, it has a carb. The opening is on the side, facing the front of the car. When reinstalling the retainer ring, one of the flanges bent out of shape, specifically the one at the bottom of the opening, so now it doesn't sit correctly and fuel leaks out if filling the tank too close to that level.

I plan on replacing the fuel tank anyway, as it does have some damage to it. But in the meantime until I'm prepared to do the replacement, I'd like to get this secured in such a fashion that I can still remove the sender since it wasn't cheap.

I thought about bending the flange back, but given how easily it bent out of shape, I'm not confident that it will hold when I put the retainer back in. I had a thought about using some JB Weld to attach some sort of hooks to the outside of the tank in order to strap down the sender, and then close it up with some Seal-All.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Also, what's a good way to get a rubber gasket to hold in place on a vertical surface? I had a lot of trouble keeping the gasket for the sender in place during installation.