PDA

View Full Version : Mark VIII internals for Marauder?

95chickn
12-03-2016, 02:50 PM
I just brought a 98 Mark motor and was wondering if i could use all internals from it. I just found out the oil pump is better also. Are pistons and rods the same as Marauder? This mark motor was low mileage and cleaner than my Marauder internals.

FordNut
12-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Lots of differences.

Turbov6Bryan
12-03-2016, 08:35 PM
I just brought a 98 Mark motor and was wondering if i could use all internals from it. I just found out the oil pump is better also. Are pistons and rods the same as Marauder? This mark motor was low mileage and cleaner than my Marauder internals.

You can use the short block, bolt marauder crap on it

95chickn
12-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Lots of differences.

Whats different???... my old piston rings (marauder ) are siege on piston and i cant get off. Thats why i want to use mark pistons. Also crank.
Please be more specific

Bad_S55
12-03-2016, 10:57 PM
The pistons, rods, & crank are all interchangeable. It's the top end that's different, but you wouldn't be using that anyways.

Also, there's no difference between the oil pumps. They're both the same high flow pump with the 13mm pick-up port.

Turbov6Bryan
12-04-2016, 06:32 AM
The pistons, rods, & crank are all interchangeable. It's the top end that's different, but you wouldn't be using that anyways.

Also, there's no difference between the oil pumps. They're both the same high flow pump with the 13mm pick-up port.

I believe the stock MM piston is 3mm dish to achieve our 10.1:1 compression ratio, where the other motors are 9.8:1 , either the piston or head has more cc to give less CR

I wouldn't swap the parts, there's no need for that... just USE the mark 8 shortblock and bolt your marauder crap onto it

massacre
12-11-2016, 11:30 AM

Early Teksids have the small pump. If his Mark is a '93-94-95/96, it will likely have the smaller oil pump and pickup tube. Only '97-98 and some '96 got the high flow pump. Only way to be sure is to measure it.

Danger Cart
12-13-2016, 11:26 PM
Why re-use the same crap rods & pistons? No sense in doing all of that work just to use parts that are not only used, but really weren't stellar quality in the first place.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Turbov6Bryan
12-13-2016, 11:39 PM
Why re-use the same crap rods & pistons? No sense in doing all of that work just to use parts that are not only used, but really weren't stellar quality in the first place.

Not everyone wants to drop the $$$$.$$ into rods, Pistons, rings, machining , down time etc

Using a used shortblock gets the car back up and running within a week or less

Most here just do a aviator swap

Danger Cart
12-14-2016, 12:30 AM
Used shortblock, ok. I wouldn't swap stock guts back into a block that needed to be done over, especially used.

massacre
12-14-2016, 03:50 AM
Mark viii pistons have the thickest stock ring lands.
OP it might behoove you to go to a website where the members know Teksids a little better. Some of the advice given here has been 100% wrong.

GoldPanther
12-18-2016, 07:57 AM
From what I've read a teksid mark 8 block is a much better design and has better built quality than a marauders WAP block.

massacre
12-18-2016, 09:45 AM

Sorry about this, it was my mistake, it clearly states that the engine is a '98 in the OP. I totally missed that, and you are totally correct on this. My apologies to you and everyone else. The '98 Mark will have the big pump with 13mm gears.

I did want to clarify that not all Marks have the same pump though, lot of people miss that. The 4v really needs the extra flow with twice the valvetrain.

OP, is there a reason you wouldn't just use the short block if it is in good shape?
Also keep your chain guides and tensioners, they are Teksid specific unless you change out the pivot pins.
C heads will bolt right on to that short block and then you could run regular MM upper/lower intake/TB/zip tube /air box , plus MM headers/exh manifolds will bolt right up too.

Glitch would be the x-over tube, exits on driver's side for Panther, pass side for Cobra, Mark, etc. so an MM tube or on3 would work, there are a couple ways to accomplish this.
'98 Mark already has COP ignition so you wouldn't have to change that. As long as you don't expect to be racing the car and just be content with it's relatively stock performance, it's simple and it works.

The early Teksids were stout on the bottom end but the top end with the dual ports and all that, the engine never lived up to its potential in a street car. The C heads will help with this, although with a slightly lower compression ratio, because of the Mark Pistons. The breathing of the C head intake/heads is way better for street use and less complicated, no IMRCs, etc. for better power and to make up for the lower compression, '96-'98 Cobra intake cams can be used in the C heads, but then you would have to degree the cams to make the most of the swap. I'm not getting into a big discussion about cam degreeing on this website.

Don't forget we are talking about what is now old technology, first Teksid came out in 1993, a full 10 years before the MM. And even the MM stuff is now old tech too.

Turbov6Bryan
12-18-2016, 10:45 AM
Why not use the teksid as a rotating shortblock, then use the MM heads?

That would be the easiest way to do it right?

I always enjoy reading your posts on modular motors, I'm always learning something from you when you post :)

massacre
12-18-2016, 12:38 PM
Why not use the teksid as a rotating shortblock, then use the MM heads?

That would be the easiest way to do it right?

I always enjoy reading your posts on modular motors, I'm always learning something from you when you post :)

If the OP has a Teksid short block that is in good running order, yes it would be easiest to put C heads on his Teksid short block.
But he asked about putting the Mark rotating assembly in a WAP block, which I have never done. It should work, I think they changed the thrust bearing/washer between the two blocks, obviously the Teksid has 4-bolt mains plus the jackscrews. I think the WAP has side bolts?
OP should put new crank/rod bearings anyways, or at least inspect those bearings before assembly. Taking those measurements requires some specialized tools though. You could use plastigauge in a pinch I guess.

Thanks for the kind words BTW. I've done a lot of research and work on Teksid motors (even the Contis) and quite a few C head swaps. Like I said this stuff is pretty much ancient history at this point, glad ppl are still interested lol