PDA

View Full Version : JustBob your mailbox is full

Mr. Man
12-18-2016, 07:40 PM
Bob I know you keep it full for a reason. So I'll ask my question here. Any downside to getting a larger than theoretically needed pressure tank for the house? I could get away with a 30gal but a 52 is only a few bucks more. Thought a larger tank might help the pump last longer buy cutting the amount of cycling. Just thought I'd get your take on it.

Thanks,

Eric :)

8UWITH6
12-18-2016, 07:47 PM
He does this for a reason ;)

Mr. Man
12-18-2016, 08:03 PM
He does this for a reason ;)
Yes I know. :)

8UWITH6
12-18-2016, 08:14 PM
Yes I know. :)

He is quite stunning in person. :)

Bad_S55
12-18-2016, 08:45 PM
He is quite stunning in person. :)

He took me for a ride :D

RubberCtyRauder
12-18-2016, 09:07 PM
the pump will run longer when it does cycle, but short cycling is a wear concern. Something to consider is that the pump wont suck air while running longer to fill the larger tank. there are procedures you can do to calculate.

Mr. Man
12-18-2016, 10:47 PM
the pump will run longer when it does cycle, but short cycling is a wear concern. Something to consider is that the pump wont suck air while running longer to fill the larger tank. there are procedures you can do to calculate.
I'm on the cusp of the fixture count. Could go either 30 and be fine, but if 52 has benefits or no detriments I'd do that. Just thought I'd ask the turd whisperer himself. :)

tbone
12-19-2016, 03:46 PM
I have his cell phone number. What's it worth to ya?

justbob
12-19-2016, 05:36 PM

Pretty much spot on ^.

Sorry for the delay, I've been quite busy lately. Pumps love to be ran period. Whether constant or longer cycles. If your not concerned with a slightly higher electric bill and you have the space then by all means go big or go home.

But I'm speaking from having five people in my house and water running from somewhere at all times it seems.. (I'm city water, but if I wasn't, I would have the big tank) With only you and Paula, the small would hold pressure for quite some time I would think?

I think your usage would be more of a deciding factor over anything else.

I do sumps and injectors too if in need! [emoji6]
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161220/4e51f1704a36f5686ae4e6f02ab4f8 ec.jpg

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk

Mr. Man
01-05-2018, 03:32 PM
Hey Bob,

I have a question about well pumps. I finally got around to installing the new pressure tank as the old one was leaking pretty bad. I got a 50+ gallon tank w/ a 30-50 pressure switch. Got it installed and no leaks thank God as I'm not the best solderer. Everything is working fine, but the other night I noticed the tank was cycling when there is no draw on the house side. I'm thinking the check valve on or just above the pump is shot. Tank cycles about 2 times an hour. I watched the pressure gauge and it loses 10lbs about every 10 minutes +/- with no house side draw.

Question is; Am I right in thinking the pump check valve is kaput? Is that a job for a plumber or a well digger to replace the pump? I have no idea how deep the well is. Figure if the check valve is just above the pump or the valve is somehow w/in the pump might as well replace it all when it's out of the hole too, right?

Thanks for any advice you can send my way. :)

Eric

justbob
01-05-2018, 07:54 PM
You have a small leak somewhere. If your sure it’s not on the house side, then next bet would be the check valve either at the incoming line (assuming you have one) or at the pump itself.

I would just add a check valve right after the point of entry Ball Valve. If it still loses pressure, go back and take a second look around especially at the flush valves in the toilet tanks.

I prefer to use spring checks over swing style checks for an even better seal.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camelgrundle
01-05-2018, 10:07 PM
Off topic but do you approve? Way better then the maxed out Leonard mixer we had before. Have not even had to look at it since install. FYI I only ran power to this. It saves me lots of headaches.47162

justbob
01-05-2018, 10:16 PM
Looks good! That’s a few bucks in ProPress fittings right there!

We have adapters up to 4”. I cringe at ordering those.

camelgrundle
01-05-2018, 10:23 PM
Yeah they are pricey. The sub contractor wanted about a Marauder to install so we did it in house lol.

Mr. Man
01-06-2018, 12:59 AM
You have a small leak somewhere. If your sure it’s not on the house side, then next bet would be the check valve either at the incoming line (assuming you have one) or at the pump itself.

I would just add a check valve right after the point of entry Ball Valve. If it still loses pressure, go back and take a second look around especially at the flush valves in the toilet tanks.

I prefer to use spring checks over swing style checks for an even better seal.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYou gave me an idea. I'll isolate the house side and if it still bleeds down I'll know it's the feed side. Never considered a slow bleed at the commodes.

If it's the feed side do I call a plumber or a well digger to pull the pump out? Not sure how deep it is, and I don't know if plumbers are equipped to pull a 400 foot length of pipe.

martyo
01-06-2018, 06:57 AM
When you have a big package, your mailbox is always full.

justbob
01-06-2018, 07:23 AM
I would call a Plumber and at least ask. Especially if wells are common in your area.

When it comes to well water, I have no experience at all south of the concrete...

Here is a decent write up I found that explains what’s involved in swapping it.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Replace-a-Submerged-Well-Pump/%3famp_page=true