PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on my next mod

JBeezy
12-21-2016, 10:50 PM
I have a few extra funds laying around and I can't decide if I want to spend it on my car, but if I do, what should it be? I was thinking maybe upgrade the front suspension, or upgrade my axles and carrier... I'm not sure. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

MOTOWN
12-22-2016, 05:09 AM
I would install a set of adjustable Ride Techs! no need to touch the rear axle unless its broken , also consider Jerrys big brake kit.

camelgrundle
12-22-2016, 07:43 AM
^ this and torque converter if you don't already have one

JBeezy
12-22-2016, 08:26 AM
I would install a set of adjustable Ride Techs! no need to touch the rear axle unless its broken , also consider Jerrys big brake kit.
I was considering the Ride techs as well. I jumped on the big brake kit early on. One of the best mods so far. I love big brakes. I was thinking axles and carrier so I can launch it at the drag strip with some sticky tires if I wanted to.

^ this and torque converter if you don't already have one
I just recently installed a 3500 torque converter. Loving that as well

MOTOWN
12-22-2016, 09:02 AM
I was considering the Ride techs as well. I jumped on the big brake kit early on. One of the best mods so far. I love big brakes. I was thinking axles and carrier so I can launch it at the drag strip with some sticky tires if I wanted to.

I just recently installed a 3500 torque converter. Loving that as well

Its going to require a considerable amount of rwhp , and more importantly traction to actually snap an axle , you will be fine with what you have.

sailsmen
12-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Dual AeroForce gauges.

Updated list of mods in your sig.;)

stevengerard
12-22-2016, 11:49 AM
Based on what you already have, I'd save the money for repairs, what else do you need, SC, better brakes, 4:10s and a converter. As said your axles should be fine and if they break, then repair them. Maybe add the control arms, it made a noticeable difference in my car. I put QA1s on my front when they wore out I went back to stock shocks and cut the springs 1.5 inches. Lowered the car to a nice stance and handles just as well as when I had the QA1s on. Better stereo system maybe? I've been fine with mine until recently, as I should really have hands free phone connection. Though I hardly use the phone even when driving a hands free car.

JBeezy
12-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Oh, I do have control arms built by Bob. My stereo is good as well. Double din with all speakers upgraded and 2 10s in the trunk. I cut a coil on the front and lowered the rear.

loud2004marquis
12-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Is the rotating assembly forged? If not, you could start buying parts for that.

JBeezy
12-22-2016, 01:00 PM
Is the rotating assembly forged? If not, you could start buying parts for that.
Great idea, but I have a forged engine ready for the day this one goes. Just really don't want to pull the stock engine out with 62k miles

stevengerard
12-22-2016, 01:44 PM
Hmm, seems like you are in a good position with the car, may I suggest sending those extra funds to me :D If not for my car for my kid's college:banana:

Actually that is awesome, even have a backup engine. I'd be doing the same thing, enjoying it and just waiting it out. My engine lasted @ 90k supercharged miles and it was the timing chain that went not anything down below.

Mr. Man
12-22-2016, 01:45 PM
Have you blinged up the engine compartment yet?

JBeezy
12-22-2016, 01:47 PM
I know about the kids college fund. I have one in college and one in the 10th grade. I don't have that much saved up, but I can do a little something for myself every now and then.

The engine is not blinged up, but I like the look of it. Not really into all the chrome and such.

stevengerard
12-22-2016, 02:27 PM
The engine is not blinded up, but I like the look of it. Not really into all the chrome and such.

Same here, though I am starting to like the chrome caps I see on some engines. Just a touch of chrome and class

Mr. Man
12-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Have you done powdercoating of various parts?

JBeezy
12-22-2016, 03:31 PM
I had my pipes for the SC powder coated black but that's it.

Turbov6Bryan
12-22-2016, 05:08 PM
If I had a built motor waiting for my car, I would buy long tube headers and swap in the forged motor. Then I would retune the car with methanol injection, and up the boost to 15 or more :)

Then you can keep the original running motor as a spare, before it eats a connecting rod :lol:

Do it!!!

JBeezy
12-22-2016, 05:13 PM
If I had a built motor waiting for my car, I would buy long tube headers and swap in the forged motor. Then I would retune the car with methanol injection, and up the boost to 15 or more :)

Then you can keep the original running motor as a spare, before it eats a connecting rod [emoji38]

Do it!!!
I like the way you think for sure... I've thought about it. My car is probably making 8 psi and I barely get to use it around here. Now if I didn't have the mustang, I probably would do the swap and track it more

I'm interested in the aeroforce gauge setup. I assume I only need one and it will read just about everything I want it to or need, correct?

sailsmen
12-22-2016, 06:19 PM
Correct, each gauge has 2 displays. You can set 2 red lites to flash at a point such as coolant at 230*, etc.

It won't read Oil press or boost.

I mounted mine in an A pillar pod for an easy read.

Go with black or sliver.

JBeezy
12-22-2016, 06:23 PM
It will read A/F correct? I have a Automator Pro Comp Ultra lite Boost gauge.

Turbov6Bryan
12-22-2016, 06:25 PM
Yeah I hear ya. I moved to this house cause the track was 5 miles away, then the city bought the land. Closest track is 50+ miles away now

I have quite a few fast cars here I don't enjoy anymore, just because I can't do it at the track, it didn't stop me from building another car

When someone local talks smack on how slow your marauder is, if you had all the goodies on it then you can prove them wrong :lol:

That's usually what motivates me.

JBeezy
12-22-2016, 06:28 PM
Yea, enough smack talk motivates me to do just about anything. Right now my eyes are on the SRT guys. Only a few, but they won't run for real.

Turbov6Bryan
12-22-2016, 06:37 PM
Correct, each gauge has 2 displays. You can set 2 red lites to flash at a point such as coolant at 230*, etc.

It won't read Oil press or boost.

I mounted mine in an A pillar pod for an easy read.

Go with black or sliver.

Actually if you wire in a map sensor it will read boost

A 2 bar map is 15 inches of vacuum 15 psi of boost
A 3 bar map is 15 inches of vacuum 30 psi of boost

The 1989 turbo trans am came with the GM 3 bar map, so if you choose to run over 15 psi get a 3 bar map

Even AM sells the 2 bar if you want to read up on it ...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/aeroforce-boost-sensor-9612.html#productInfo

I may have a few brand new 89 TTA 3 bar maps here in my garage

sailsmen
12-22-2016, 07:09 PM
Good info.

Thank you.

sailsmen
12-22-2016, 07:13 PM
Here is a good read on a Marauder showing them;
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90621

JBeezy
12-22-2016, 09:05 PM
Was a good read. I wish my car would hook like that, especially with the stall added.

8UWITH6
12-22-2016, 10:05 PM
Buy rear tires, duh ;)

JBeezy
12-22-2016, 10:34 PM
Buy rear tires, duh ;)
Yea, I know. I haven't had the 295s on there long enough to get rid of them. I hate that.

The article read he was in Stock form. Wishful thinking that's all.

loud2004marquis
12-22-2016, 10:58 PM
Save the money for a rainy day?

JBeezy
12-22-2016, 11:03 PM
Oh, trust me, I do. Savings come first.