PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Ford Focus - No Key Detected

crouse
01-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Wondering if I might be able to get some help on my daughter's 2013 Ford Focus. She attends college in Grand Forks, ND and this morning.

Here is a copy of her text to me.

My car would not start this morning. I suspect is has something to do with the auto start. I started it with the auto start, then later went down to start it with the real key like normal and it wouldn't start. It didn't click or try to turn over at all. The air & lights and all of that worked when I turned the key to the second click, but then when turning the key all the way nothing happened and it said No Key Detected. I tried both sets of keys, tried turning it off and locking the car then getting back in, and nothing worked!

The local Ford dealer is booked up and can't get it in for 4 days. Seems weird that it shows No Key Detected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hadamustang1
01-13-2017, 12:07 PM
REBOOT? THE BATTERY AND THEN GIVE IT A GOOD KICK..

Ambitious1
01-13-2017, 12:16 PM
Some ideas from other owners. Seems to be a common issue:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/11082-no-key-detected-and-car-wont-start/

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/302180-key-not-detected.html

One did mention disconnecting the battery and trying again. Another owner mentioned issues with using the Valet key by mistake. Another mentioned a dud key.

Spectragod
01-13-2017, 12:43 PM
The last one that did that to me was Jerry's Edge when I was programming the remote start, the car would remote start but when the key was used is said no key. If the battery trick doesn't work, a trip to the dealer may be necessary.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk

crouse
01-13-2017, 01:31 PM
Does the key need a strong battery to provide the link between the key and the vehicle? It was about -20 degrees in Grand Forks this morning and the battery in the keys are over 4 years old. I might have her stop at an auto parts or hardware store and have the batteries in the keys replaced.

Thank you for the help.

Spectragod
01-13-2017, 02:41 PM
I can tell you that a low battery in the car will cause said failure. All the newer cars are can bus, and delicate, they don't play well with fluctuations in voltage

crouse
01-13-2017, 02:48 PM
Just got a text from her and she said it started just fine a short time ago. Maybe it's a safety thing in case someone was trying to steal it?

Spectragod
01-13-2017, 02:52 PM
If the pats was activated, it will inhibit the vehicle for a short period of time. My best guess is the car battery is compromised and the low temps made it fail.