PDA

View Full Version : Oil question?

Mr. Man
02-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Ha sucked you in with that title :P

I found an old can of unopened oil the other day that I probably bought 30 years ago. I was wondering if oil has a shelf life. I wouldn't use it in a car, but what about a lawn mower? Anybody have a thoughts?:)

88LTDCV351
02-09-2017, 02:00 PM
Interesting question. Considering its been under ground for millions of years....but I assume the refining process might make it more complicated? Can't wait to hear the answer.

kirk
02-09-2017, 02:25 PM

I found an old can of unopened oil the other day that I probably bought 30 years ago. I was wondering if oil has a shelf life. I wouldn't use it in a car, but what about a lawn mower? Anybody have a thoughts?:)

30 years old?
In an old paper can, not plastic?
If yes and yes, I would think it's worth more money in the can than in your engine.
Not an expert, but just a thought.

crouse
02-09-2017, 02:28 PM
What's the API rating on the outside of the can. I think we're up to SG now. It might be OK in a lawn mower.

RubberCtyRauder
02-09-2017, 03:04 PM
oil turns back into dinosaur poop after 30 year shelf life.

fastblackmerc
02-09-2017, 03:11 PM
Can you pour it out or scoop it out?

RF Overlord
02-09-2017, 03:54 PM
I think we're up to SG now. SG went obsolete in 1993...we're at SN now. (There was no SI or SK)

Eric, most of the major oil companies claim around 5 years is the shelf life of their oils. Having said that, I used a jug of Mobil 1 from 2004 in my DD a couple of years ago. No apparent effects, but I wouldn't have used it in the Marauder.

Fastbob
02-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Don't use it, oil and additives have changed over the years and lawn mowers need quality oils just as badly as cars need it.

Mr. Man
02-09-2017, 04:34 PM
Sounds like it's going to be a novelty item.

Mike D Mechanic
02-09-2017, 05:00 PM
back in the day when I was lead tech for a group of cat marine experimental engines that question came up sort of. no one had 30 year old oil but self life. self life by cat, shell, mercury marine (among others) is 2 years. not the oil but the additives cause the toxic soup

Bluerauder
02-09-2017, 05:03 PM
Sounds like it's going to be a novelty item.

Sounds like it should be a garbage item. Of course, you could always put it on E-Bay as a rare item and hope some damn fool gives you 10 times what it is worth. BTW - I found a 30 year old 12-pack of beer in the back of my garage. What's it worth ??

FordNut
02-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Sounds like it should be a garbage item. Of course, you could always put it on E-Bay as a rare item and hope some damn fool gives you 10 times what it is worth. BTW - I found a 30 year old 12-pack of beer in the back of my garage. What's it worth ??

Reminds me, I've got some beer from the 1982 World's Fair.

MyBlackBeasts
02-09-2017, 05:41 PM
No need to trash it, there are other uses.
Use it to fill the oil can you squirt hinges with or fire pit fuel, etc.

RF Overlord
02-09-2017, 06:05 PM
I found a 30 year old 12-pack of beer in the back of my garage. What's it worth ??Charlie, please tell me it's not Billy Beer...

Turbov6Bryan
02-09-2017, 06:26 PM

Depends.... is it billy beer?

Turbov6Bryan
02-09-2017, 06:27 PM
Charlie, please tell me it's not Billy Beer...

Great minds think alike. Just noticed you posted that too :lol:

RubberCtyRauder
02-09-2017, 06:29 PM

Bring it to Louisville, someone might be thirsty, one late night, in the lobby

Bradley G
02-09-2017, 06:36 PM
O'rielies has a oil change special in my area 5 qt. jug and K &N filter for $45.00
im going for it ! my issue is I have to get two jugs because I have a custom oil pan . thanks to this site !

BAD MERC
02-09-2017, 07:14 PM

OMG so do I!! I am sure it's probably tar or cleaning solution now.

Mr. Man
02-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Sounds like it should be a garbage item. Of course, you could always put it on E-Bay as a rare item and hope some damn fool gives you 10 times what it is worth. BTW - I found a 30 year old 12-pack of beer in the back of my garage. What's it worth ??Rex and I had this conversation a few years back about the shelf life of beer. Seems to me he said if it lasts more than a few weeks I'm doing it wrong.:lol:

RF Overlord
02-09-2017, 09:08 PM
5 qt. jug and K &N filter for $45.00
K&N oil filters are nothing special. When they were made in the USA by Champion Laboratories they were OK, but they are now made in Korea and Mexico and the specs have gotten worse. Motorcraft, WIX, NAPA Gold, AMSOIL, and the FRAM Ultra are all superior to the K&N.

Bradley G
02-09-2017, 10:21 PM
K&N oil filters are nothing special. When they were made in the USA by Champion Laboratories they were OK, but they are now made in Korea and Mexico and the specs have gotten worse. Motorcraft, WIX, NAPA Gold, AMSOIL, and the FRAM Ultra are all superior to the K&N.

I wont discard what you researched, but I have bought them before , they look and feel like a quality product.
care to show some evidence to support that claim?

tobiasg1995
02-10-2017, 04:31 AM
O'rielies has a oil change special in my area 5 qt. jug and K &N filter for $45.00
im going for it ! my issue is I have to get two jugs because I have a custom oil pan . thanks to this site !
If you have a Sam's club or rural king check their prices on Mobil 1, rural king has some decent prices on all oils

There is no off position on my genius switch.

L.Mark
02-10-2017, 05:51 AM
Bring it to Louisville, someone might be thirsty, one late night, in the lobby

Haggis will drink it...he'll drink aaaaannnnnyyyything...

RF Overlord
02-10-2017, 06:33 AM
I have bought them before , they look and feel like a quality product.
care to show some evidence to support that claim?There has been a lot of discussion on BOBISTHEOILGUY about this. Jay Buckley, quality control manager from FRAM, has provided insight into the old Champ-made version and the newer versions, specifically the reduction in quality of the filtering media.

MERCMAN
02-10-2017, 06:54 AM

Use it in the mower if it is a 2 stroke. If I ever have any oil questions, I ALWAYS defer to Bob(RF Overlord) as I believe he is the last word on any oil related topic on this forum:up:

tbone
02-10-2017, 08:11 AM

I gotcha beat Brad. Amazon has Castrol Extended performance synthetic oil 5 qt. jug for $27.99 free shipping for prime members. $5 anywhere for a FL820 = $33.

Mr. Man
02-10-2017, 09:14 AM
Haggis will drink it...he'll drink aaaaannnnnyyyything...True dat, didn't think of him, but yes if he can survive drinking his "Flaming Skull of Death' concoction on a daily basis what's a little motor oil.

Use it in the mower if it is a 2 stroke. If I ever have any oil questions, I ALWAYS defer to Bob(RF Overlord) as I believe he is the last word on any oil related topic on this forum:up:I refer to Baub when there is a 'snake oil' question on the table. :D

88LTDCV351
02-10-2017, 10:08 AM

There was an episode of Diggers on National Geographic channel. They dug up the time capsule with Steve Jobs first computer mouse in it. One of the guys said he had put a six pack of beer in the time capsule way back when so they pulled it out also. They actually drank it. They said it tasted gross and they joked about having to go to the emergency room to get thier stomachs pumped. But they were fine. Just thought that was funny that they actually considered and did drank the old beer. They said it was still cold from being underground. lol

Turbov6Bryan
02-10-2017, 11:22 AM
Use it in the mower if it is a 2 stroke. If I ever have any oil questions, I ALWAYS defer to Bob(RF Overlord) as I believe he is the last word on any oil related topic on this forum:up:

You mean 4 stroke right?

I wouldn't mix engine oil with gas for my 2 stroke stuff

RF Overlord
02-10-2017, 11:23 AM
I refer to Baub when there is a 'snake oil' question on the table. The only snake oil I use is for my pompadour.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/kingofthehill/images/a/af/Kh1.png/revision/latest?cb=20130413121520

TJCOX
02-13-2017, 04:59 PM
If the oil is non-detergent you could use it in a 2-cycle, however if you put it in a 4-cycle engine it may cause it to burn oil as my wife's uncle found out in his 66 Mustang.
Back in day when it was difficult to find 2-cycle oil, non-detergent was what I used and had no problems with it. If you used detergent oil in a 2-cycle the spark plug would foul out.
If you want you can possibly exchange it for a replacement of the same brand. (HaHa) What brand is it? I have a quart of Castrol GTX 20W/50 that I wouldn't hesitate to use in an older 1950-1980's vehicle or Motorcycle. My cycle could use it and the brand was recommended by Honda. Some of the additives may break down, but it still will lubricate the engine safely.
I have an empty quart can of Medalist SAE 20-20W that happens to be non-detergent and
I used it to lube electric motors with, that required n/d oil.

I found an old can of unopened oil the other day that I probably bought 30 years ago. I was wondering if oil has a shelf life. I wouldn't use it in a car, but what about a lawn mower? Anybody have a thoughts?:)///////////////////////

Turbov6Bryan
02-13-2017, 05:41 PM
LOL. My girlfriend ran her Briggs mower motor to the point it locked up and seized from the lack of oil

I kicked the blade about two hours later to free it up, added what ever oil she had in the trunk of the car, and the mower lasted 5 more years

I'm sure 60 year old oil that looked good would have been fine for that Briggs

FordNut
02-13-2017, 05:52 PM
I used to have an old mustang that was a real oil burner. It was my second car so anything to keep it running was good enough. I would change the oil in my primary car (and motorcycle, mom's car, etc) and save it to top off the mustang. I wouldn't have worried at all about a fresh can of 30 year old oil going in it!