PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Town Car (03-11)

primuspilum
02-23-2017, 05:12 PM
My brother bought a low mileage Crown Vic LX last year and wants to upgrade to a Town Car. He's getting ready to retire and is sold on the Panther platform.

He wouldn't pass up a marauder, but performance is not his primary concern: he's looking for luxury.

Looks like last gen TC (03-11) can be had, inexpensively, and low mileage too.

(there are several low mileage <40k miles, Ultimate or Limited Signature within a hundred miles of here for under <$8k).

Any words of wisdom for the TC's of that era as the search begins?

EricGrain
02-23-2017, 10:27 PM
I used to daily drive a Crown Vic LX too, my original plan was upgrading to a Town Car but rather amazingly, I found a Marauder before a Town Car.... The rest was obvious for me.

But I still did lots of research on the Town Cars, and still love them. My best advice would be to try and get as low mileage as you can because the car is mechanically very similar to a Crown Victoria (Identical), meaning there isn't a whole lot of things to worry about really unless it's older or high mileage. You will get the same quirks the Vic had, probably the same problems down the road as a Vic. Town Car will have Rear Air Suspension which is something a Vic doesn't have (Typically reliable, but check rear wheels clearance for sagging if cars level) Check all the fancy dash lights because they are time consuming and costly to fix.

One thing on panthers I do though, ALWAYS FULLY TEST Climate Control System if your looking to buy. (Heat,AC,Vent,Floor,Defrost,et c) Some parts like that got very minor updates over the years and for that reason I would look for newer model years.

Aside from that all I can really say is they are certainly luxurious reliable vehicles. Good luck on the search!

primuspilum
02-24-2017, 01:14 PM
I used to daily drive a Crown Vic LX too, my original plan was upgrading to a Town Car but rather amazingly, I found a Marauder before a Town Car.... The rest was obvious for me.

But I still did lots of research on the Town Cars, and still love them. My best advice would be to try and get as low mileage as you can because the car is mechanically very similar to a Crown Victoria (Identical), meaning there isn't a whole lot of things to worry about really unless it's older or high mileage. You will get the same quirks the Vic had, probably the same problems down the road as a Vic. Town Car will have Rear Air Suspension which is something a Vic doesn't have (Typically reliable, but check rear wheels clearance for sagging if cars level) Check all the fancy dash lights because they are time consuming and costly to fix.

One thing on panthers I do though, ALWAYS FULLY TEST Climate Control System if your looking to buy. (Heat,AC,Vent,Floor,Defrost,et c) Some parts like that got very minor updates over the years and for that reason I would look for newer model years.

Aside from that all I can really say is they are certainly luxurious reliable vehicles. Good luck on the search!

good info. thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gpfarrell
02-26-2017, 06:44 PM
The Signature Limited is "the nice one". The Executives were geared for fleet/livery use. Basically, find one with wood on the steering wheel and you're getting the other goodies too. Not many options... sunroofs ended in 2007 and the HID headlights seem very rare. Radio and wheel choice seems pretty inconsequential.

Carriage roofs are often in demand but they seem to age and wear very poorly.

Use Fords "ETIS" system to run various VIN numbers and you'll find a thorough (if cryptic) detail of the car's original equipment.

In pictures, the gray and tan (camel) interiors are hard to distinguish. But the Camel has a nearly color-matched dash while the gray has a two-tone dark part that is a very different shade.

Good luck!

Bradley G
02-27-2017, 12:38 PM
May I have a 500 hp cartier L ?

gpfarrell
03-01-2017, 10:12 AM
I'm giving serious thought to a 600 hp Signature Limited.

Bradley G
03-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Crown Vics can't have self leveling rear suspension stock ? really ? Im slipping . I sold Fords for 25 years and I'm not sure LX Sport crown vics had air ride but I'll bet you a beer !

Ambitious1
03-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Crown Vics can't have self leveling rear suspension stock ? really ? Im slipping . I sold Fords for 25 years and I'm not sure LX Sport crown vics had air ride but I'll bet you a beer !

Yes, you're right. :) One of my panthers is a 04 CV HPP. The Handling and Performance Package came with the air ride system.

Bradley G
03-01-2017, 03:02 PM
you can't beat 30 years of ownership ! and my livelyhood for long long time !

Yes, you're right. :) One of my panthers is a 04 CV HPP. The Handling and Performance Package came with the air ride system.

Mr. Man
03-01-2017, 03:21 PM
Your going to have to out bid the limo companies that still seek out low mile newer Towncars. Sky's the limit on higher mileage older ones though.

CoreyM75
03-01-2017, 06:07 PM

You are going to owe a lot of guys a beer. Crown Vic Sports had rear suspension as did the Handling and Performance Package Vic's. So did Grand Marquis LS with the HPP package and the Grand Marquis LSE which was the GM version of the Sport.

My Sport had the rear air suspension which failed and the original owner swapped to poverty coil springs.

EricGrain
03-02-2017, 12:01 AM
I said Crown Victorias don't have Rear Air Suspension for the same reason I say EVERYONE has internet access.

I know the GMQ and TC had Air Suspension and that the CV had it AVAILABLE. But most of Crown Vics out there DON'T have RAS.

Last time I try saving time by skipping typing a story he didn't ask to hear.

Bradley G
03-02-2017, 12:23 PM
then lets agree you are wrong on both accounts!
I said Crown Victorias don't have Rear Air Suspension for the same reason I say EVERYONE has internet access.

I know the GMQ and TC had Air Suspension and that the CV had it AVAILABLE. But most of Crown Vics out there DON'T have RAS.

Last time I try saving time by skipping typing a story he didn't ask to hear.

1Marauder
03-02-2017, 06:15 PM
damn....

Back to the Justified mobile. Get one!

Bradley G
03-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Vic's, GMQ's, & T/C 's all have rear air suspension available. (if equipped).
If you want a beer just show up.

Turbov6Bryan
03-02-2017, 06:34 PM
Find a dark pearl blue one and put marauder wheels on it

A member here has a blue one and I love it, awesome car!!

gpfarrell
03-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Find a dark pearl blue one and put marauder wheels on it

A member here has a blue one and I love it, awesome car!!

I was thinking DBP with FR500 wheels, but the blue one here is what really got me thinking about what abTC could be.

EricGrain
03-03-2017, 05:35 PM
damn....

My thoughts exactly. Ugh.

FW_Linc/Merc
03-03-2017, 07:49 PM
https://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=87807

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=103289&highlight=Town

2003-2004 have the best gauge cluster and steering wheel combo.

gpfarrell
03-03-2017, 08:14 PM
What about the 2006+ clusters with the tach?

FW_Linc/Merc
03-04-2017, 06:11 AM
What about the 2006+ clusters with the tach?

It is still a Town Car. The tach is not that interesting to watch. The main problem I have with the later generation dash is the placement of the speedometer. Depending on where you hands are on the steering wheel most of the time your hand blocks the speedo. The dash is also not centered in the steering wheel opening. This is because they got cheap and used the GM cluster in the TC. The larger steering wheel on the 2005+ also blocks some of button on the dash below the cluster because the button positions did not change when they changed steering wheels.

gpfarrell
03-04-2017, 06:33 AM
Good to know, thanks!

primuspilum
03-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Anyone: what do you consider "high" mileage on a Town Car (or panther in general), assuming the car was regularly serviced?

I don't think 80k miles is a big deal if you have the service history of the car.

gpfarrell
03-05-2017, 06:21 PM
These days, 80k on a panther seems low.

100-120 seems average.

Over 150 is where it gets interesting. Well maintained cars seem to double that without any trouble, but the neglected ones start to fail at some point, and quite subjectively 150k seems to be that point.

loud2004marquis
03-06-2017, 06:12 AM
I bought a 2007 Signature Limited a year and a half ago. The paint is a sparkled white tri-coat that looks absolutely gorgeous after a wash and wax. Nice car, paid too much but it had all the "bells and whistles" I was after with under 100k miles.

I would advise in looking for rust issues especially around the fuel door area. I've heard that they have foam installed under the body panels to damped outside road noise and water gets trapped in the foam. The trapped water typically rusts through the paint. Only other thing is the drivers seat is surprisingly a little uncomfortable. Look up the Lincoln forums where it's discussed in detail as a common issue, but I plan on having mine redone someday. They are very nice cars, do not regret my purchase one bit and wish you the best of luck in your search!

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1069051/fullsize/dsc04055.jpg

Highly recommend the Weather Tech molded floormats, certainly much cheaper then OEM Marauder mats! LOL

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1069057/fullsize/dsc04067.jpg