PDA

View Full Version : My sons first time driving the 6sp Marauder

justbob
02-26-2017, 10:04 AM
My 14 year old son is my mini me out of the three as he is quite the little gear head and is very mechanically inclined. He has driven my crew cab in parking lots off and on for about two years now (my daughter as well since turning 11) and both have always displayed great attention and alertness.

He's been practicing on my manual shift Yamaha Warrior in my small driveway and finally the street after a big snow storm and excelled better than I had dreamed. Yesterday I asked if he was ready to pilot the car that he has turned down a couple of times and he said sure..

I found him a nice big parking lot and switched seats. OUTSTANDING skills! I think he stalled it only twice. We spent about a little over half an hour doing various stop and goes, slow turns, more aggressive turns (simulating rush hour), slight inclines first utilizing the line lock then without, power stops, engine braking, when to engage/disengage the clutch around turns and the proper gear to be in, and always hovering the brake in a turn for the unexpected.

Being used to the truck he had quite the awakening about throttle control once he thought he was getting comfortable enough to climb to 2nd LOL That gave him the fear we all call adrenaline. [emoji16]Keep in mind I bought this car when he was 2 and he has had plenty of thrill rides and he has witnessed it at the track take out plenty of "fast" cars. So the intimidation I'm sure was nerve wrecking even without the blower installed.. Hell, I don't even let the kids wash the car so if he crashes...

He did a great job! If he keeps his grades C or better I already promised him I'd enroll him into a private drivers ed program immediately into his summer vacation (he turns 15 next month), he can get his permit and serve his Nazi Illinois mandated 9 month permit time, and actually have his license thirteen months from now. Let's see if he keeps his end up unlike his brother who didn't really care and was over 17 before getting his license..

I learned how to drive on grandpas brown '77 column shift F100 Explorer when I was 12 or 13 on the back roads of the Tennessee hills spending summers down there. Those were the best of times. Man I miss that old truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevengerard
02-26-2017, 11:21 AM
I Guess you are keeping the car longer than you thought. Always fun to watch your kids enjoy a car. One of my most enjoyable times was being a passenger experiencing my 17 year old daughter whip around Gingerman raceway smoother than I could.

camelgrundle
02-26-2017, 12:29 PM
Well my car is totaled. My soon to be 2 year old can't control rear wheel drive for ****. Lol but seriously good job dad!

SOSA03
02-26-2017, 01:18 PM
Great Fathering Bob ,Now that's a DAD

1Marauder
02-26-2017, 01:29 PM
GOOD FOR YOU! Great job DAD!

Ambitious1
02-26-2017, 02:19 PM
Awesome job! And very impressive skills! I can't even count how many times I stalled my first 5-speed manual transmission when I was learning how to drive it!

crownvic97
02-26-2017, 03:05 PM
That is awesome! Sounds like you are teaching him well!

JBeezy
02-26-2017, 03:12 PM
When teaching my oldest to drive, she had to learn in a 5 speed before an auto. Now she's 21 and thinks she's the best driver in the world.

Great job Bob!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Mike D Mechanic
02-26-2017, 03:35 PM
Nice story my dad taught me when I was 12, in a 69 3/4 ton power wagon shop truck. He really liked that I took to it and did well at it. Nice job getting your kids with interest started early. :beer:

8UWITH6
02-26-2017, 07:24 PM
What, no video? ;) Excellent job Bob.

guspech750
02-26-2017, 08:32 PM
Awesome Bob!
We just let Taylor drive Heathers SHO last weekend. She enjoyed it.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

lji372
02-26-2017, 10:47 PM
No burnouts?

Cmon!

Teach'm young I say :2thumbs:

Bradley G
02-27-2017, 12:07 PM
all my children learned to drive on a Trilogy Marauder, none of them have the need for speed !:P

jsignorelli
02-27-2017, 01:50 PM
When I was 12 years old, I started driving a Reo pick up truck we used to move horse feed and hay. (we had five horses) I lived in Monmouth county NJ before it was discovered by housing developers. By the early 1960's, many of the farm roads I drove on had been paved, and were now leading up to private homes. When I turned 17, my dad let have the 1960 Austin Healey Sprite. I drove it to school, when all my friends were either in MG-B, Triumph spitfires, or AH Sprites. It was a fun time in my life.
After college (1969) I got married and bought a 1970 Boss 302 (still have it).

I think your son will love driving the Marauder. Worry when he wants to increase the horse power.

Mr. Man
02-27-2017, 02:43 PM
When I was a kid my dad used to let me steer his 1965 Sunbeam Tiger, 1971 Alf-Romeo Spider on the back roads while he controlled the gas and brake. We didn't go very fast and I can still remember him making adjustments to the wheel when I got going off track. My mom used to let me do the same thing in her Volvo 122s wagon.

I learned to drive in a 5 speed 1978 Datsun 720 pickup truck that my dad gave me because he didn't want to be bothered trying to sell it. I was glad because at 16 I didn't have that much money.

Funny Signorelli should mention an Austin- Healey Sprite. My mom has a 1959 (bugeye) project that my dad bought her years ago much to her surprise and dismay. It is still a project 30 years later as are the 1947 MG TC and the 1951 Morris Minor that sit in his barn. Anyways last time I was visiting he had the Sprite sort of uncovered and I tried to sit in it. I no fit. Tried the Morris Minor and it was roomy. That night I started to think about pulling the drive line out of the Morris and dropping a V-8 into it.

Bob your kids will remember fondly in the future of the driving experience you gave them. Probably make a post like this one on the flying car forum. ;)

TAKEDOWN
02-27-2017, 08:21 PM
Nice!!!!

Mine has been practicing in the 04 CVPI, as for now no MARAUDER for him, lol!!!

Motorhead350
02-27-2017, 09:18 PM
Awesome!

I miss my dad.

Hopefully, I'll be as good as you in the near future.