PDA

View Full Version : Will this wheel fit?

05-28-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm planning ahead a bit. I should be picking my MM up in about 3 weeks. I want to get a set of 16" good old-fashioned Torq-Thrust wheels. I like the looks much better and I'll need a set of something to put winter tires on.

They come with a 4" back spacing. Anyone know if they will work on an MM?

Thanks,

RCSignals
05-28-2004, 08:31 PM
I don't know the answer, but I know this has been discussed here before.

I've seen torqthrust style, and the Mach1 style wheels advertised in magazines in 17 and 18" with varying offsets.

BillyGman
05-28-2004, 10:15 PM
I've always liked the Torq Thrust wheels, although I'm not sure how they would look on a black car, and my car is Black. I'm not sure about the backspacing, but I know that on our cars I've only heard about it being listed in MM rather than in inches. That isn't to say that you neccessarily cannot use those wheels though.

Perhaps you can try doing a search on this board for "Backspacing", and if that term doesn't produce results, then I guess you'll have to broaden the search a bit by typing in "wheels".

CRUZTAKER
05-29-2004, 07:39 AM
We require 50 mm backspacing. Someone do the conversion from 4" eh?

You can put a variety of sizes on, but you will look like those silly 'pants below the waste' wannabes with 13" wheels on a camaro that stick out of the wheel wells 5 inches or so. :puke:

16" rim works great for snow tire applications, most of us snowbirds do it that way. But if the M you purchase has traction control, it'll screw it up and flash a light over about 30 mph. Your speedo will be off by quite the margin as well. Not bad for 3-5 months out of the year. But running 16" tires ALL year long will double the odometer clicks every 18 months or so. A 100 mile trip now logs about 105 miles.

With 16"'s all season long, a gear change will be unadviseable, and a chip or performance flash will likely cause issues with drivability and consistant hitting of the rev limiter.

I don't know much, but I do know, running 16's 12 months out of the year and a desire to further performance mod the car won't mix.

UNLESS!!!: Those pair of 16's are ONLY on the rear with a huge set of Mickey Thompsons!!!:cool:

05-29-2004, 12:04 PM
There's a difference between back-spacing and offset. It the offset is 50 mm (about 2 inches) on an 8" rim, then the back-spacing is about 6 inches.

So these wheels, with a 4 inch back-spacing, will be 2 inches farther from the car's centerline----------or 2 inches closer to the fender. Probably not a good idea. I'll have to search some more.

By the way, there are 16" tires that are close to the 724 revs/mile of the MM's stock rear wheel/tire.

BillyGman
05-29-2004, 05:48 PM
By the way, there are 16" tires that are close to the 724 revs/mile of the MM's stock rear wheel/tire.Yes, agreed. Wweather you have 16" wheels or 18" isn't what's important, but what is important is what the outside diameter is, or the tire "Height". The height of our stock 18" tires is 28", and the biggest or tallest that I've heard anyone going on these cars is 28.7" (as w/the Nitto P305/45/18 drag radials).

U can even put 15" tires and wheels on the car w/out problems if you want providing the actual height of the tire itself is close to 28".

darebren
05-29-2004, 07:26 PM
won't fit.. at least won't look good. stick to something with 50 - 60 offset and 6 to 7 inches of backspace depending on wheel width 8 or 9 inches..

Amsoil_Dealer
05-30-2004, 06:22 AM
What is a torque thrust wheel?

I have been considering new wheels for my Crown Vic. Someone said they have seen 17" and 18" take offs in magazines. Which magazines?

Thanks

Don

gdmjoe
05-30-2004, 07:40 AM
What is a torque thrust wheel?

I have been considering new wheels for my Crown Vic. Someone said they have seen 17" and 18" take offs in magazines. Which magazines?

Thanks

Don
American Racing - wheel link (http://www.americanracing.com/wheels/details.asp?wheelid=29&name=Torq-Thrust%20II&type=2-piece%20alloy,%20polished&picture=Torq-ThrustII).

gdmjoe
05-31-2004, 08:03 AM
... I have been considering new wheels for my Crown Vic. Someone said they have seen 17" and 18" take offs in magazines. Which magazines?
Don - Check Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords -or- 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords; both magazines list vendors with New Take-Offs ( though the tires may be a bit undersized for a Crown Victoria; i.e. 245/45 ).

I've been partial to the Bullitt rims, but alas, because of the 2003+ backspacing / offset they're a no-fit ( they're no problem on the previous years ); that's why I went with the Marauder rims.

Perusing my current issues here are some example vendors:

Dave's Mustang Parts (http://www.dates-mustang-parts.com) *Take-offs
Texas Mustang (http://www.texasmustang.com) *Package
Diversified Products (http://www.BuyFordRacing.com) *Just rims

I also noticed that Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com) sells Ford Racing rims ( IIRC MecuryMarauder.net members can get a deal here ). And don't rule out TheDealer ( a supporting vendor ).

*Caveat - Provided for your consideration; have no interest nor association with the sellers.