PDA

View Full Version : OK, don't lynch me . . .

duhtroll
05-29-2004, 10:34 AM
I may get some crap for this, but I know there are some of us on this board who appreciate ALL types of American muscle. And there are some Chevy types on board, as well as those who have more money than they know what to do with (you know who you are) ;)

Anyway, there is a very nice black 1996 Impala SS near my house with about 19K miles on it. Excellent condition. Spoke to the owner about it and his reply about the care was "it's only been rained on by accident - no snow and no salt."

If I had seen this car when I was looking for the MM I might have purchased it. He is asking about 18K for it - didnt' try to haggle with him because I'm not looking to buy.

If anyone is interested I would be happy to go-between.

Thanks,
-A

Haggis
05-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Ok I won't lynch you, how about tar and feathering instead. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BruteForce
05-29-2004, 02:52 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
http://www.touchdownlakers.com/images/noose.JPG

Fourth Horseman
05-29-2004, 04:25 PM
If anyone is interested I would be happy to go-between.

If I was a rich man I'd love to find a '96 like that in great shape to park next to my Marauder. *sigh*

BillyGman
05-29-2004, 04:57 PM
I'd buy it if I had the money. I was never impressed by their body style, so I wouldn't even try to put aftermarket wheels or wide tires on it, nor anything to make it look sportier. I'd make it look as mild mannered as possible to use it as a sleeper car to surprise people with. I've raced a half dozen of those cars on the dragstrip, and they are no slouches. I can assure you that. They really go, and I've driven a Roadmaster that has the same engine in it as they do, and let me tell you, I was also impressed w/that too.

Marauders look a lot better w/out even doing anything to them than any Impala does IMO. But those Impala SS cars can really move too. Let me add that any car that old w/such few miles, should be in question. If it was started up atleast once every few weeks and taken to operating temprature, then it's a great find. But if not, then you could have problems by purchasing it. A good way to tell is if you look at the car while the engine is cold, and run your fingure around the inside of both tailpipes. If there's a lot of rust on your finger after that, then stay away from that car. That would indicate that it was only driven on very short distances, that never got it to reach full operating temperature, and that's not good since the moisture and condensation never fully was worked out of the engine and the exhaust (which explains the rust on the inside of the tailpipes). In that case, the inside ofnthe cylinder walls might not be so great either.

Ofcourse, this simple test would only be valid providing that he hasn't changed the tailpipes in the past year or so. So I'd first ask him if he's had any exhaust work done to it in the last couple years, and if so, exactly what was replaced.

CRUZTAKER
05-29-2004, 05:40 PM
No matter how nice it looks....it's old.....OOOOLLDDDD. Start daily driving it and everything under the sun is gonna start failing. Nice car though, always liked them, but it will come with a hidden price ....repair.

When the state of Florida told my 91 year old grandma "we're taking your license" for berating a highway patrolman, I got the call to fly to Florida and adopt the '80 Olds Cutlass.

I found the car in theoretical pristine condition and with 17,600 miles. My calculations were that it was driven 2.5 miles a day over the course of some 15 years. The drive home from Florida it broke two belts, threw a check engine light, a front left spring broke, both rear wheel cylinders started to leak, and the seals on the carberator were shot and it needed rebuilt to the tune of $700.

Cars stored extensively can have some real hidden issues. I ended up selling the car for what grandpa paid for it in 1980. Go figure.;)
Still a nice find though, it will sell....they ALL do!

RF Overlord
05-29-2004, 07:32 PM
No matter how nice it looks....it's old.....OOOOLLDDDD. Start daily driving it and everything under the sun is gonna start failing.

Now wait just a cotton pickin' minute...just 'cuz it's more than a few years old doesn't necessarily mean it's an unreliable junker...

My first car was a 1960 Chevy Biscayne that I bought from my high school history teacher for $95 in 1972...other than what I chose to do to it, it needed nothing for the 2 years I beat the ****zot out of it, OOPS I MEAN owned it (until a telephone pole broadsided me one winter :( )...same with my third car, a '68 Buick Skylark convertible I bought in '78 with 165,000 miles on it...and which I still own. Although the Buick is now a summer-only car, both of these vehicles when purchased were my only cars and were driven daily...

BTW, duhtroll, you won't get any crap from me...I think the '94-'96 Impala SS definitely paid homage to its namesake...unlike the current wrong-wheel drive version... (speaking of junkers...)

CRUZTAKER
05-29-2004, 07:38 PM
I hear ya RF, but you actually drove those cars, not park them for ultra sunny days and posterity. Look at the Vic, 135,000 miles12 years old. It runs nice...every day.:D

RF Overlord
05-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Look at the Vic, 135,000 miles12 years old. It runs nice...every day.:D

Yes. Yes, it does...thanks again for the use of Beater Vic last weekend...you SURE you don't want to sell it? :)

Redster
05-29-2004, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=duhtroll]I may get some crap for this, but I know there are some of us on this board who appreciate ALL types of American muscle. And there are some Chevy types on board, as well as those who have more money than they know what to do with (you know who you are) ;)

When I went to the Muscle Car drags last month, the SS crowd was there in force. And they all ran their cars down the strip. They don't seem to be an all show, no go group.

RCSignals
05-29-2004, 08:47 PM
I agree with Billy, the looks of the Caprice are less than exciting, however, in Impala SS form, all black, it looks pretty good.
A '96 is the year to have, it has the floor shift and console, and should have the better engine controls, OBDII.

I really don't know about the price, with the mileage it's probably good. Locally there has been a very nice dark red Impala SS for sale, (might be a '95) for going on 2 years now. Originally for sale by the owner, now it's been on a specialty used lot for almost a year.

MENINBLK
05-29-2004, 09:37 PM
...there is a very nice black 1996 Impala SS near my house with about 19K miles on it. Excellent condition. Spoke to the owner about it and his reply about the care was "it's only been rained on by accident - no snow and no salt."

That is not a bad price for the mileage.
I have seem the same exact cars with over 100k miles go for MORE...

But the problem with late model cars, rather than the cars of the 60s era and earlier,
is that the seals and gaskets tend to DRY ROT, where the seals and gaskets
of older vehicles had more asbestos and metal in them and they didn't
succumb to the same dry rot as the vehicles of today do.

Lots of the gaskets used today are made with paper, cork and silicone.
These tend to last longer, as long as they are lubricated.
If a car stands for more than 2 years without every being started
at least once a week, you are asking for a lot of trouble.

Even tires will dry rot over time...

AlabamaSS
06-02-2004, 07:32 AM
If I was a rich man I'd love to find a '96 like that in great shape to park next to my Marauder. *sigh*

I agree. If one had the money and means it would be great to have a one of each (Marauder and Impala SS) side by side in the garage. What a wonderful tribute to true american muscle--in sleeper mode that is. :up: