PDA

View Full Version : My Aviary is back

Pat
04-18-2017, 02:57 PM
This week I have been fortunate to see my birds are back.

The usual wrens, sparrows and mocking birds are present and my Baltimore Oreo in bright yellow and tuxedo black is back. The blue jays, extra large Robbins and neon Cardinals are also present for duty.

Even the hummingbird is back. Doves, both morning and ring necked, are waddling around. The feral cats and ever preset squirrels round out the menagerie. Oh lest I forget, the woodpeckers are also here.

Had to train a new batch of squirrel's on the Bungee cord. Started with the corn cobs just off the ground then raised them up till the squirrels were on tip toe then raised the cobs further to where they had to jump. Now they provide me with a show. Jumping up a couple of feet, latching on to the cobs dangling on the bungee cord, bouncing in the air, ripping off a kernal or two before release.

Only the Thrush hasn't made an appearance.

Shornaday
04-18-2017, 05:22 PM
It's been a long time since I took time out and looked at the various birds. Would've been back in the late 50s to the early 70s. Used to watch a whole lot of barn swallows as they swooped in and out of the farm buildings. Of course there were robins, red winged black birds, Crows, Blue jays, Cardinals, woodpeckers, pheasant and a whole lot of others, especially on the farm. Those were some peaceful years, no hustle and bustle of the big city life like Centerville, Iowa with a huge population near 6500 people. :lol: :baaa:

Didn't know I had it so good.