PDA

View Full Version : tweaked frame

Chayton
04-21-2017, 10:40 AM
hey all

my buddy got into a bit of a fender bender in his lincoln town car

said the frame is a little "twisted." And sent me a picture asking if it can be fixed. ( see below)

However I am a poor mechanic. I was hoping someone on here could tell me if this is repairable and or how much it would cost thx

http://i.imgur.com/Brx1O9K.jpg

Zack
04-21-2017, 10:40 AM
I've fixed worse

Mr. Man
04-21-2017, 10:45 AM
That's a little more than tweaked. Can it be fixed? Yes. Is it worth it? Probably not.

Spectragod
04-21-2017, 10:49 AM
That's more than tweaked, to meet ICAR standards, the frame will need pulled and measured, and the left rail most likely replaced either entirely or from the torque box back.

Cost..... thousands to make it right.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk

RF Overlord
04-21-2017, 10:50 AM
What year LTC and what was its condition before it got "a little twisted"?

my buddy got into a bit of a fender bender I nominate this for "Understatement of The Year".

*EDIT* Sigh...I think Zack's right. (see below)

Zack
04-21-2017, 10:51 AM
This is a troll post. Seems he's won

Mr. Man
04-21-2017, 10:56 AM
This is a troll post. Seems he's won
Maybe today he's channeling Aron Jay? :dunno:

Spectragod
04-21-2017, 10:59 AM
Waiting for the obligatory VW Phaeton post.

Chayton
04-21-2017, 11:03 AM
shhhh im serious. Bubba wants it fixed

Chayton
04-21-2017, 11:03 AM
What year LTC and what was its condition before it got "a little twisted"?

I nominate this for "Understatement of The Year".

*EDIT* Sigh...I think Zack's right. (see below)

From what I can tell its a 2002... I more pics I will upload l8r

Spectragod
04-21-2017, 11:08 AM
From what I can tell its a 2002... I more pics I will upload l8r

It'll cost more than the value of the car to fix, end of story.

88LTDCV351
04-21-2017, 11:21 AM
"Restore em, don't crush em" - Dennis Gage.

I think it also depends on how much your buddy loves the car and how much money he has. Seems there are plenty out there to just buy a replacement though.

Chayton
04-21-2017, 11:23 AM
"Restore em, don't crush em" - Dennis Gage.

I think it also depends on how much your buddy loves the car and how much money he has. Seems there are plenty out there to just buy a replacement though.

Ya I dont think its worth it. Now that I look at it the trunk looks very frumpled

mm svt
04-21-2017, 12:33 PM
I've seen better cars at LKQ

MOTOWN
04-21-2017, 12:48 PM
That is not worth repairing.

RF Overlord
04-22-2017, 12:17 PM
It'll cost more than the value of the car to fix, With the frame as badly mangled as it appears, I have to agree, especially on a 15 year-old car that wasn't worth a lot even when new.

Unless the car has extraordinary sentimental value or your buddy is a collision repair expert, part it out.

Chayton
06-05-2017, 03:53 PM
Hey all,

so my buddy was able to get the frame repaired. albeit very expensive, the car is dear to him and in his opinion the money well spent. However, there is now apparently a loud "knocking/metal grinding" sound coming from underneath the car. Below is the picture he sent... Now again I am no mechanic so I am not sure if this is fixable or not. He asked if me if he could just "dab some jb on the shattered pieces" and put it back together...!? what are your thoughts. Not quite sure what im looking at here.

http://i.imgur.com/GY4KQy5.jpg

gdsqdcr
06-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Was Bubba running kerosine? It may just be low on coolant.

Spectragod
06-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Im starting to put you in the troll category......

Chayton
06-05-2017, 04:09 PM
Im starting to put you in the troll category......

Now why would you do that.... :confused:

Joe Walsh
06-05-2017, 04:17 PM
He asked if me if he could just "dab some jb on the shattered pieces" and put it back together...!? what are your thoughts. Not quite sure what im looking at here.

http://i.imgur.com/GY4KQy5.jpg

JB Weld works great....but I don't see anything wrong here.....:dunno:

Just retorque the main's cross bolt and fire her up....then rev it to get the oil pumping properly!

RubberCtyRauder
06-05-2017, 04:17 PM
is he "f'n" serious???? jb weld it? your buddy is a moron, and you might be one too for asking such stoopid stuff.

Joe Walsh
06-05-2017, 04:20 PM
is he "f'n" serious???? jb weld it? your buddy is a moron

It's obviously a joke.

RubberCtyRauder
06-05-2017, 04:36 PM
he does not do joking or sarcasm well. i wonder how his b head dohc swap into a vic will pass emissions in nazifornia, unless he plans to trailer it to drifting events.

justbob
06-05-2017, 04:58 PM
is he "f'n" serious???? jb weld it? your buddy is a moron, and you might be one too for asking such stoopid stuff.

You took the time to answer this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chayton
06-05-2017, 05:01 PM
It's obviously a joke.

lol Joe gets it!

Sorry if I disappointed you guys, I figured it was pretty obvious that I was joking. Saw it on Instagram and couldn't resist, figured it'd be funny. For what it's worth, that really is the underside of a 4.6. No need to get worked up about it, if you laughed great

Chayton
06-05-2017, 05:02 PM
he does not do joking or sarcasm well. i wonder how his b head dohc swap into a vic will pass emissions in nazifornia, unless he plans to trailer it to drifting events.

It will pass. Honestly it could have long tubes and no cats and it would still pass. For the right price anyways.

Chayton
06-05-2017, 05:03 PM
JB Weld works great....but I don't see anything wrong here.....:dunno:

Just retorque the main's cross bolt and fire her up....then rev it to get the oil pumping properly!

thanks I will let him know!!! :lol: :lol:

Joe Walsh
06-05-2017, 05:04 PM
lol Joe gets it!

Sorry if I disappointed you guys, I figured it was pretty obvious that I was joking. Saw it on Instagram and couldn't resist, figured it'd be funny. For what it's worth, that really is the underside of a 4.6. No need to get worked up about it, if you laughed great

I'll post up pictures of my split big bore block when I pick up the aluminum carcass from the machine shop.
I might try to JB Weld the crack between cylinders #1 & #2.....:D

RubberCtyRauder
06-05-2017, 05:24 PM
You took the time to answer this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's been partially one of those days, short fused, i perused it fast, and it rubbed me the wrong way. it is what it is. chayton got my venting today. he was the winner. :beer:

and i thought nazifornia doesnt allow non model motors swapped. of course if you know someone that's another story. even if the results are good, they can deny if anything catches them on that it is not a direct replacement. obd2, a monitor etc.