PDA

View Full Version : Serious Topic

dwasson
05-31-2004, 06:33 AM
We spend a lot of time and bits discussing cars and how to make them better and we ignore the important topics. I hope that this changes that pattern. this weekend I had some of the best Bar-B-Que I've ever tasted.

Saturday night we were taken to Strawberry's in Holcomb MO (bootheel area, 12 miles north of Kennet). I had a dry rub pork steak that fell apart with a fork and ribs so tender the bones came out with a light twist. The rub was spicy without making your forehead sweat. They have great spicy cole slaw too. If you are within 150 miles of this place it's worth the trip.

Sunday morning we drove to Memphis. After the hillbilly haj to Graceland we drove over to Corky's for communion. As always, Corky's came through. I love the dry rub ribs and the pulled pork. Corky's slaw could be better but the meat is the point of the trip anyway.

Then we pointed the Big Black Car north and we were back home in 12 hours.

We should have MVIII in Memphis and do a Bar-B-Que tour.

Haggis
05-31-2004, 07:05 AM
Dan

My boss says I have to take cultural sensitivity classes. Whatever. I just hope the teacher ain't some stupid foreigner.

Off subject here not to say I don't like Bar-b-Que, but I tried taking one of those tests and failed. Seems I could not read the questions since it was written in a foreign language. Guess I'm not Politically Correct. :D

jgc61sr2002
05-31-2004, 07:13 AM
You are making me hungry. :D

Logan
05-31-2004, 07:20 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm BBQ...

Krytin
05-31-2004, 08:33 AM
Yeah - what Logan & John said! Now I gotta go out and get ANOTHER BBQ going. As if Saturday's & Sunday's weren't enough - it looks like ribs! If I start right now, they should be done by sundown! Gotta go!

Sactown
05-31-2004, 10:01 AM
It all sounds so good! BBQ chicken halves, grilled seasoned 1/2 lb burgers and grilled veggies in the works over here on the left coast. Brisket or baby backs next weekend. Its all good. Any good recipes for cole slaw? I'm lacking in that department.

hitchhiker
05-31-2004, 11:24 AM
Having been raised in the Midwest, Kansas and Missouri, I miss the exceptional Missouri BBQ. Each end of I-70, Kansas City and St. Louis, simply the best BBQ out there!

Going back to get some later this year!

Best Regards,

David

<CENTER><TABLE height=395 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=740 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle bgColor=#800000 height=30><!--webbot bot="Include" U-Include="navbar.htm" TAG="BODY" startspan -->Home (http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/index.htm) Online Shopping (http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/bbqshopping.htm) Our Restaurants (http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/restaurants.htm) Our Traditions (http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/bbqtraditions.htm) Our Fans (http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/bbqfans.htm) About Us (http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/about.htm)

<!--webbot bot="Include" i-checksum="3109" endspan --></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle background=images/brick_strip.jpg bgColor=#800000 height=36>The Arthur Bryant's Barbeque Story </TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#800000 height=320>
<TABLE height="100%" cellSpacing=20 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="50%"> Arthur Bryant, the legendary King of Ribs, is the most renowned barbequer in history. He created a sauce that has attracted the likes of former Presidents Harry Truman and Jimmy Carter to his restaurant . . . considered to be the best restaurant in the world by New Yorker columnist Calvin Trillin.
Since 1930 celebrities such as Steven Spielberg, Michael Landon, Robert Redford, Jack Nicholson, Wilt Chamberlain, Bryant Gumbel, Tom Watson and George Brett — and common folk alike — have made the pilgrimage to Arthur Bryant's to enjoy barbeque that's slow-smoked with a combination of hickory and oak woods, mellowed to the peak of flavor, then splashed with Original or Rich & Spicy sauce. Now you can enjoy these sauces with carefully guarded secret recipes at home, for the authentic taste of Arthur Bryant's barbeque.

</TD><TD vAlign=top width="50%">

Charlie Bryant started the Kansas City barbeque tradition, or some say it was Henry Perry for whom Charlie worked. Arthur visited his brother Charlie in KC and never left. Charlie owned the business after Henry died, then after Charlie died Arthur took over. Arthur first perfected the sauce ("I make it so you can put it on bread and eat it") and then opened the 18th & Brooklyn restaurant that was to become a legend.
After Arthur passed away in 1982 Gary Berbiglia and Bill Rauschelbach acquired the restaurant and have expanded the business while preserving the original Arthur Bryant's traditions and world-famous
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>flavor. Arthur used to mix and store his sauce in big five gallon glass jars. You can still see one in the window of the Brooklyn restaurant today. As Gary Berbiglia puts it, "It's history." <MORE> (http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/bring_sauce.htm)</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/images/jug.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR><TR><TD background=images/brick_strip.jpg bgColor=#800000 height=36> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

dwasson
05-31-2004, 12:51 PM
Here's where the conflict begins.

nslatin
05-31-2004, 12:58 PM
Got any suggestions for bbq in Memphis. We are going to be passing thru on our migration west. We are leaving LI, NY on 6/16 heading out to Las Vagas. Finally!

jgc61sr2002
05-31-2004, 02:40 PM
Got any suggestions for bbq in Memphis. We are going to be passing thru on our migration west. We are leaving LI, NY on 6/16 heading out to Las Vagas. Finally!

Good luck on your move. :up: Have a safe trip.

Patrick
05-31-2004, 02:54 PM
Hey Dan havent been able to down to Couches yet. But my offer will always be on the talbe!!! Later Patrick

dwasson
05-31-2004, 05:46 PM
For BBQ in Memphis there are two major camps. There is the Rendevous, at 52 S. 2nd street, down by the Peabody Hotel, north of Beale. Then the other camp is Corky's, at 5259 Poplar St, on the east side. Rendevous is known for dry rub and Corky's has wet and dry. Both will good enough that if anyone in NY says they make BBQ you'll want to slap their mamas.

dwasson
05-31-2004, 05:48 PM
Patrick, I forgot to mention it to her. I'll talk to her this week.

nslatin
05-31-2004, 05:57 PM
For BBQ in Memphis there are two major camps. There is the Rendevous, at 52 S. 2nd street, down by the Peabody Hotel, north of Beale. Then the other camp is Corky's, at 5259 Poplar St, on the east side. Rendevous is known for dry rub and Corky's has wet and dry. Both will good enough that if anyone in NY says they make BBQ you'll want to slap their mamas.
Thanks Much!

Patrick
05-31-2004, 06:12 PM
Patrick, I forgot to mention it to her. I'll talk to her this week. With the hours I keep Very hard to do anything! My offer will always be good!!! Just Coke this of the year sucks!!!!!

MYSTA KANG
06-03-2004, 05:45 PM
In the near future if the lord is willing, I am going to have a big BBQ feast at my house. It has taken me some time to perfect my ribs but they are ripe. See I had to use the Pythagorean Theorem when I place the coals in the pit and all of them have to be congruent with one another so my fire will burn at the same temp throughout the 12 hour smoke time. I can even make deer meat fall off the bone. My BBQ so good you dont even need BBQ sauce on it. I have tasted Memphis BBQ and I am not into pork alot. Here in the great state we like Beef ribs, and Angus burgers.................

jgc61sr2002
06-03-2004, 06:22 PM
In the near future if the lord is willing, I am going to have a big BBQ feast at my house. It has taken me some time to perfect my ribs but they are ripe. See I had to use the Pythagorean Theorem when I place the coals in the pit and all of them have to be congruent with one another so my fire will burn at the same temp throughout the 12 hour smoke time. I can even make deer meat fall off the bone. My BBQ so good you dont even need BBQ sauce on it. I have tasted Memphis BBQ and I am not into pork alot. Here in the great state we like Beef ribs, and Angus burgers.................

That sure sounds good. I am getting hungry. :D

Krytin
06-03-2004, 06:26 PM
That sure sounds good. I am getting hungry. :D

Yeah - we gotta stop with these food posts! I aint gettin' any thinner! I keep reading these posts and my Marauder jacket is gonna bust a seam! lol :>

MYSTA KANG
06-03-2004, 11:38 PM
NOOOOOOOO!

The ribs are just the sample. The main NASTY FACE starts with some ice cold mint tea, loaf of light bread, slice of onion, roasted corn, extra plate with some craw deads on it, smoked BBQ catfish, lamb chops seasoned with a hint of orange sauce and a good ole can of ranch style beans.

WARNING: EATING RANCH STYLE BEANS AND LETTING OUT QUIET STORMS AND NOT TELLING PEOPLE MAY CAUSE THEM TO HAVE SHORTNESS OF BREATH, SUDDEN URGE TO RUN AWAY FROM YOU, UNKNOWN WORDS LIKE "HUUUUUUUUUUUUM UMPH' MAY BE SPOKEN OR THE FROG GETTING STEPPED ON MAY THE THE EXCUSE FOR SUCH ROTTEN EGG SMELLS :eek: