PDA

View Full Version : Marauder Loyalty

DrZ
05-06-2017, 12:04 PM
My attitude from day one in reference to Silver Birch Marauder has always been near and dear to my heart. Maybe sad but a new leftover 2016 Hellcat Charger may have stolen my devotion. I hate the word betrayal but I think it may be time to turn a new wheel.

JBeezy
05-06-2017, 12:39 PM
I can say, I understand

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

justbob
05-06-2017, 02:00 PM
I'm going out on a limb here guessing you've only had the Marauder three years or so judging by your join date?
If that is correct then you certainly don't have loyalty to something you've owned since new or close to and the Charger by its own self is lightning years better than the Merc..

Besides money, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrZ
05-06-2017, 02:43 PM
I'm going out on a limb here guessing you've only had the Marauder three years or so judging by your join date?
If that is correct then you certainly don't have loyalty to something you've owned since new or close to and the Charger by its own self is lightning years better than the Merc..

Besides money, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

I've owned my 2004 Silver Birch since April 2004 or May. It was purchased for my first wife who didn't want it. I worked all my life like a dumb dog and I didn't have any time to look up and smell the roses. I couldn't go online in 2004 because I worked 10 hour days/6 days a week. The Marauder was a car. I car I liked to drive with my family in it. Yet it was fast and fun. My son grew up and I bought a black Marauder from someone here on MercuryMarauder.net which by chance was also a car with a VIN 5 digits from from silver Marauder. I love them period. Fast enough yet safe in stock dress yet 141,000 miles later the time has come. I am afraid of only one thing about a hellcat. The UPS driver hates bringing tires to my house. He always asks if I have a race car. I reply no. The hellcat is gonna is kill him or me.

justbob
05-06-2017, 04:59 PM
And here I thought I was one of the only here who owned it for years before logging on..

Gerry24
05-06-2017, 05:37 PM
Before I adopted my MM, I read on the site. When I got her, then I joined, to me it was a must. Did my research before I got her and then I felt that I can join this forum and feel legit.

cer0413
05-06-2017, 05:37 PM
And here I thought I was one of the only here who owned it for years before logging on..

same here bud

BAD MERC
05-06-2017, 06:20 PM
I had keys to a 2004 Viper in my hand when the opportunity arose to get my SB back after a reluctant sale. Needless to say I am still here and I feel ya!

MGDriver
05-07-2017, 09:34 AM
Before I adopted my MM, I read on the site. When I got her, then I joined, to me it was a must. Did my research before I got her and then I felt that I can join this forum and feel legit.

Same here, been lurking the site for years before I finally got mine... somehow it didn't feel right to join before I had the car.

CoreyM75
05-07-2017, 10:33 AM
I lurked for years, going back to the Logan days. I had a 1998 Grand Marquis black with the Handling and Performance Package when the Marauder came out in 2002 and so I was over on Cv.net back then. I collected parts when I found them cheap back in the middle 2000's. I only joined here when I bought my first Marauder in 2009ish.

sailsmen
05-07-2017, 11:05 AM
For me it ain't the Car, its the People that the car connects me with.

I have raced so many different things in my life I have never had an attachment to the object.

Excerpt - It's really interesting how both Chuck and our lives have crossed over the years. Chuck is from Ohio and grew up on a farm. He was always working on cars, when it broke he had to fix it himself because he had no money. He used to Drag Race a 1969 442 and an original Shelby GT 500.
One New Years Day he woke up looked outside at the snow and told everyone good by, ending up near New Orleans.
In 1977 my father told me find a used 2 door BMW to buy for the family to drive. I found one in the classifieds and we went to see it. The owner insisted we meet Chuck, who had an import repair shop. Cars were in the shop a lot back then so I go to know Chuck.
I had a 914 VW-Porsche that I hired Chuck to build the engine for Autocross. He had a mechanic that was on a Porsche Racing Team and he did an excellent job on the engine.
Circa early 1980's Chuck had a Maserati Dealership and then I lost track of him. In 1987 I was looking for performance parts for an MR2 and someone recommended a particular parts store. I walked in and Chuck says I never stop hearing your name, I married Jane, Susan's older sister. I dated Susan in HS and she had 2 older sisters who also favored me.
I didn't know Chuck when I was dating Susan and we were not in the same group, Chuck being 8 years older.
20 years latter in another town I am at a block party and walks in Chuck! He didn't know the host, the friend he was with did.
Coincidentally a few years ago we both moved to the same town. A month ago I see Chuck again at Walmart. I get his number when he tells me he wants to take a ride to the drag strip with me.
Ohh, and by the way he is no longer married to Jane.
Now the truth is I always liked Susan, Jane and Pam alot.*

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99408

TAKEDOWN
05-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Why not have both, cake and eat it too!!!

Ms. Denmark
05-07-2017, 01:07 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWe saw this site when we first got the SB in 2003. At the time we were even very computer wary. Took the leap in 2008 and went to a CAM meet in Pa. Hasn't been the same since.:help:

Drewstang
05-08-2017, 09:27 AM
The older my car gets and the harder it gets to find parts makes me really think about the next step. My plan was to save this year, drive the MM daily, and pay off our other vehicles. Then order a 2018 Mustang GT from Lebanon Ford with the SC installed. Lately I've seen more Chargers I like and the Scat Pack and Daytona packages are 485 HP stock with Whipple SC kits available out there. Dodge is the only domestic 4 door rwd on the board anymore. Might as well jump onboard and get all the new creature comforts they have.

N40GL
05-08-2017, 11:36 AM
I sure love the car, but that Hellcat Charger is awfully compelling. One scary thing is... when I was a Sheriff's Reserve (in Virginia), virtually all our Hemi-equipped Chargers blew up at 50,000 miles. Happened in other departments I knew about as well. We switched to V-6's, which were more reliable, lighted and a bit faster (but no 4WD). Knowing I might be as hard on the car (corner-carving, or racing) as police service can be, that scared me, wondering whether the Hemi now in production was ready for prime time. AutoWeek doesn't seem to think so, so I remain further wary.

I'm not stereotyping the Dodge, but that could be a really expensive mistaken purchase to make. I have a more warm and fuzzy feeling about Ford quality, but there's not much in the Ford showroom that excites me right now (except maybe the Focus RS, to which I'd add some things).

Drewstang
05-08-2017, 12:08 PM
I'm not stereotyping the Dodge, but that could be a really expensive mistaken purchase to make. I have a more warm and fuzzy feeling about Ford quality, but there's not much in the Ford showroom that excites me right now (except maybe the Focus RS, to which I'd add some things).
I would get a Mopar extended warranty for sure. I was also trying to figure out where to mount my mobile radio, there's not much room on the dash.

71cyclone
05-09-2017, 11:01 AM
You spoke the truth .The 05 Charger and Dodge started out as a low buck version of the 1999 Mercedes E-Class platform and constructed from there even down to the Mercedes Fob keys. :eek:

Motorhead350
05-09-2017, 01:19 PM
I'm loyal to a fault. Got mine in sept 2002 and still daily drive it.

Getting another car will never be out of the question, but I'll never get rid of the Marauder for another car. Ever.

Plus, who the hell is ever loyal? Maybe 2 people in my entire life.

dohc324ci
05-09-2017, 09:57 PM
Its a love hate for me I put too much coin in her to sell. I'd roll in a new BMW 335i if I could but most likely get another GTi and keep the marauder in the garage. After I am done outfitting the Burb I'll have to allocate funds back over to the marauder....one day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Guittard22
05-10-2017, 01:49 AM
comes down to new muscle versus old muscle

DrZ
05-10-2017, 02:48 AM
I must reply to all who have posted, many who are experienced long term ownership and understand the reasons for devotion to Mercury/Ford Marauders. This car was and is a standout. Size, performance and safety as well as longevity certainly play a role in driving and owning this exceptional automobile. I stand strong minded to retain both Marauders in my family. I dare NOT to leave the Ford brand to own a factory made supercharged Dodge Charger but only add a more diverse choice. I have many long term ownership cars. JEEP, Chevrolet, Ford, Mercury and maybe Dodge. The Mercury Marauder in complete ownership will be very tough to beat. Period!

Gryphonzus
05-10-2017, 03:44 AM
I like the looks of the Challenger but not the Dodge undependability. I have too many friends that have had a Dodge and have troubles with them. We looked at a Challenger and a Camaro and ended up with a Mustang. The others just did not hit all the buttons like our Mustang. As far as the Marauder I have not found anything out there that calls out to me like it does. Nuff said. Good luck with your decision.

fastblackmerc
05-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Wife has an '07 Charger R/T, other than the Takata airbags, haven't had any problems. Car just broke 70k miles.

Ms. Denmark
05-10-2017, 01:36 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I owned mine from 2003 to 2008 before joining so there are a few of us...

kirk
05-10-2017, 05:06 PM
I owned mine from 2003 to 2008 before joining so there are a few of us...

I'm on the other end. Had Marauders for years before there was an internet. This is a place where I can learn, share, and help out.

1Marauder
05-10-2017, 07:49 PM
My attitude from day one in reference to Silver Birch Marauder has always been near and dear to my heart. Maybe sad but a new leftover 2016 Hellcat Charger may have stolen my devotion. I hate the word betrayal but I think it may be time to turn a new wheel.

I don't think moving up two generations of technology to an inarguably Bad Azz Hellcat is a betrayal, but rather a progression.

If FORD would stretch the Mustang, and add 8 inches of interior width, 1.5-2.5 feet of length, and maybe 5 inches of head room and window glass height to build a four door mustang... with their most potent motor, I'd be first in line to buy one.

I am going to drive a Sport for a year or so, and I think I am going to pick one up too. Want the convertible if it ever happens.

Will keep both Marauders too.

RubberCtyRauder
05-11-2017, 10:23 AM
if i had $59k burning a hole in my pocket ( the price of a 2016 hellcat) i would build a old muscle car with modern drive train ,suspension, bada$$ motor)i wont buy sonething that needs $600 + car payments for 6 years

kirk
05-11-2017, 11:00 AM
if i had $59k burning a hole in my pocket ( the price of a 2016 hellcat) i would build a old muscle car with modern drive train ,suspension, bada$$ motor)i wont buy sonething that needs $600 + car payments for 6 years

+++

My hotrod dream is a 1963 Comet S-22 convert with a modern V6, all stock looking from the outside.

ChiTownMaraud3r
05-11-2017, 11:08 AM
I am not a fan of the cheapy looking interior of the Chargers. Damn Fiat for taking away the 6.4L Chrysler 300, now we will never get a hellcat version.

Gryphonzus
05-12-2017, 04:42 AM
I must admit I do like the look of the new charger.

DrZ
05-12-2017, 10:51 AM
A 2002 black on black Z06 Corvette got me divorced in 2008 which my ex informed to return it or she stated would divorce me. She and I were done by 2008. The car was worth it but the law fees and payout was a legal death sentence. I just left the Dodge dealership today at 11:00AM while sitting in the dealer the sales person said sign it. All happiness and joy should radiate through my head yet I realize that I have to ask my wife. 2nd wife, I don't want a 3rd one. The salesman listened to my short version of the Corvette purchase. My friend Chris who owns a 2016 Charger Hellcat calls me by chance as I am ready to sign. I put him on speaker phone and told him I was buying a Hellcat. He remembers the day I bought my Z06. With the salesperson listening Chris reminds me of this luxury/not necessary Corvette purchase. I had to walk out -no signature! ??? Why? Not the Marauder? Nope Not the money? Nope The wife has to approve? No way! Yes way! Well, I guess I am just an old man. WOW! I need my wife's approval for a car.

DrZ
05-12-2017, 01:54 PM
My wife says buy it! :D

Motorhead350
05-12-2017, 02:27 PM
I'm loyal till death. MY car has been "totaled" and blown up a number of times.

Part of the reason to keep it going is to spite the Marauder community.

stevengerard
05-12-2017, 03:38 PM
Why? Not the Marauder? Nope Not the money? Nope The wife has to approve? No way! Yes way! Well, I guess I am just an old man. WOW! I need my wife's approval for a car.

Hey, to me that is just common respect - you are in it together. Even better that she said yes. But if she said no I for one wouldn't think any less of you. Finances, priorities etc. all play a role in the big picture. I'm still not at the point in my life where all those gel together to get a new car of my dreams, its ok. I have more than enough fun with what I have. Oh to go out and buy a Mustang 350 or a Hellcat - that would be awesome. Good news is - one day there will be a used one for sale.

I applaud you having a gut check and asking your wife! If she changes her mind, tell her you already have someone that will buy it from you for $0.08 on the dollar :D

wickedmerc
05-12-2017, 04:16 PM
My wife says buy it! :D

Yeah man....congrats!! I'd love to get a Hellcat! I'm very jealous.

As for the loyalty thing, someone said it earlier; it's just a car. The people are who make it cooler. I don't have a Marauder, sold mine in 2012. I keep checking in here because during my ownership, I met some very cool people. They're car people. Your membership to this site is not void just because you own a different car.

Davco
05-12-2017, 04:47 PM
Hey, to me that is just common respect - you are in it together. Even better that she said yes. But if she said no I for one wouldn't think any less of you. Finances, priorities etc. all play a role in the big picture.

This. Good call on talking with the little lady.

Be sure to post pics of the new purchase. Congrats!