PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler 300s are EVERYWHERE!!!

TAF
05-31-2004, 04:30 PM
Back from a quick trip to FLA (nope...in the "family truckster"...not the Marauder)

So...I stopped counting at over 70 Chrysler 300s (nope...unless you can see the rear badge...you can't tell the diff whether it "has a HEMI" or not). Those butt-ugly things were everywhere!

Only spotted 1 Marauder the whole trip...Black headed south on I-75 just south of Brooksville this morning around 7 am.

You gotta LOVE the "exclusivity" of the Marauder over that stupid 300 :up:

bigslim
05-31-2004, 05:30 PM
There are other ways of telling if it has a hemi or not. One is the driving lights. The hemi has stand alone driving lights. The others are made in the vent slots in the airdam. Also, the hemi has contured headlights. The others have sqaure headlights. It takes a trained eye to see the difference.

woaface
05-31-2004, 05:46 PM
I've seen 4 different 300's in Greenville in the last week. My friends have seen the same 1 Marauder floating around, and I saw one downtown last tuesday.

The 300 doesn't look AS bad up close as it does in the pictures, but it is still perty ugly. The rear end is ok, but the interior looks like crap.

crimzon
05-31-2004, 06:44 PM
HAHA, a black southbound on 75, around mile marker 280 or so? (think 7-7:30am)

Might have been me. :-)

Fourth Horseman
05-31-2004, 06:45 PM
Saw my first one here the other day. I was sitting in a Sonic waiting for my food as I saw it go down the street. Couldn't see if it had the hemi badge or not. So far not a lot of them on the roads here, but I'm sure that'll change. Knowing this area, though, 90% of them will be the V6 models, and not the V8. :rolleyes:

tmac1337
05-31-2004, 09:31 PM
Chrysler is on track to produce 60 thousand of them in year one. See what a little advertising does. I'm glad now that Ford was so stupid because I never see a MM except for my own. The 300's are all over the place. They probably will exceed the initial 60k units.

bigslim
05-31-2004, 10:30 PM
I saw in the paper Snoop Dogg called the President of Chrysler and asked for a 300C. They said Snoop and Chrysler are in talks about it. I have already seen it in two music videos (Mary J. Blige and 50 Cents). I was watching UPN last Monday night and there were a least 10 commercials for it in a two hour spand. Chrylser stated that it sold more in it's first month than the PT Crusier did. Here in the Motor City they are popping up like flies. Still have not had the chance to line up next to one.

David Morton
05-31-2004, 10:55 PM
.... Still have not had the chance to line up next to one.Let us know when you do. Beyond that I could give a ***** about anything Chrysler (which everybody knows is owned by Facist Nazis) makes. :shot:

Fourth Horseman
05-31-2004, 11:47 PM
Perhaps a rear-drive platform selling so well will send a message to the auto makers? One can hope.

TripleTransAm
06-01-2004, 07:04 AM
I'm glad now that Ford was so stupid because I never see a MM except for my own.

You won't be saying that when we get to the point where Ford ceases all 'corrective' development, because there just aren't enough of them out there to justify dumping engineering $$ into finding a fix for a big problem. Think about how much fun it will be when we're stuck with using repeated faulty castings over and over again, each time we develop the 'ticking valve guide' problem. Sure, we can keep getting our dealers to do warranty work until it runs out, but imagine how many dealers will eventually resort to blowing us off, saying "they ALL do that. It's normal...".

I dunno... being reminded of that Taurus SHO fiasco earlier this morning got me worried.

Marauderman
06-01-2004, 08:30 AM
Still have not had the chance to line up next to one.
Your not the only one--I want to do the same and then see the drivers face when he realizes his just can't cut it like he thought it would....wonder who will be the first to post THE SPANK???.......Tom

2003 MIB
06-01-2004, 08:46 AM
The 300 doesn't look AS bad up close as it does in the pictures, but it is still perty ugly. The rear end is ok, but the interior looks like crap.

I saw my first one on the road yesterday. I don't think it's ugly...it's not as pretty as my Marauder but it's not an Oklahoma prom queen either. :)

Agent M79
06-01-2004, 09:00 AM
I hope the 300C is massively successful.

If it makes money, the others will smell blood in the water and offer competitive products that may appeal to a broader spectrum of buyers.

Go Chrysler!

DavidB
06-01-2004, 09:21 AM
There are other ways of telling if it has a hemi or not. One is the driving lights. The hemi has stand alone driving lights. The others are made in the vent slots in the airdam. Also, the hemi has contured headlights. The others have sqaure headlights. It takes a trained eye to see the difference.

The easiest way to recognize the V8 300c is the presence of chrome mirrors, door handles, and rub strips.

I read that the 300c/Magnum factory can build approximately 260,000 of these per year. They had planned the V8 demand to be about 25%, but sales are currently running around 50% V8.

I like the 300c too, and hope Chrysler sells all they can make, if only to encourage the other makers to produce cars that have a little personality.

TTYL
David

JohnE
06-01-2004, 10:14 AM
I am also very happy to see other full sized rear wheel drive V-8 powered cars out. And the wagon is cool too. The fuel economy and driving dynamics are far superior to an SUV, unless you’re towing 8,000lb. Competition is good for us consumers. Wouldn't be surprised to see agencies dump the wImpalla for 300's soon too.

Sure wish Ford had put a torque-producing engine setup on the Marauder and priced it at what it's really worth. They would have sold many more.

Patrick
06-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Chrysler is on track to produce 60 thousand of them in year one. See what a little advertising does. I'm glad now that Ford was so stupid because I never see a MM except for my own. The 300's are all over the place. They probably will exceed the initial 60k units.

What he said!!!

jerrym3
06-01-2004, 12:46 PM
Just because you see a lot of 300's on the road, that doesn't mean that they are all Hemis. Could be a lot of V6 models out there.

From day 1, Ford never planned to produce a lot of Marauders (I forgot what their projection was; does 20,000 per year sound right?). The Marauder was more of an image car. So, they put their big advertising dollars into the bread and butter, more profitable volume vehicles.

Now, I'm starting to see grand Marquis ads on TV, but I never see a Crown Vic ad. Maybe Ford realizes that they can't completely disregard the auto market.

Could it be that the Crown Vic production is sold off to fleet buyers (taxis, police cars, etc) and doesn't need to be advertised? Now that there's a rear drive alternative (although the lower priced 300 has a V6 motor), will Ford have to advertise the panther platform cars more, or, at least, keep improving the platform to keep up with new entries from other manufacturers?

I bet they advertise the hell out of the new Ford 500 and Montego because Ford will need the volume sales of these new models, especially if the Japanese start to nip at Ford truck sales.

Bluerauder
06-01-2004, 01:08 PM
"...snip..." So...I stopped counting at over 70 Chrysler 300s (nope...unless you can see the rear badge...you can't tell the diff whether it "has a HEMI" or not). Those butt-ugly things were everywhere!
"...snip...." :up:
Maybe an analogy with the 17-year cicadas now infesting the Northeast is appropriate here:
1. Ugly little critters.
2. Come along out of the ground every 17 years
3. Are all over the place creating an eyesore
4. Flap their wings like heck; but are short on navigation
5. Provide a virtual feast for marauding birds
5. Mate and die..............

Sounds like the 300C to me.
:lol:

FastMerc
06-01-2004, 04:23 PM
:nono: Ya those 300s are everywhere,not sure what model he wanted to run I did he lost 1 down.

Fourth Horseman
06-01-2004, 04:40 PM
:nono: Ya those 300s are everywhere,not sure what model he wanted to run I did he lost 1 down.

The V6 models should be no problem for a stock Marauder to completely stomp on. But the V8 model is another matter. I doubt I could take one in my current form. They've got, what, 50 HP on me and make a lot more torque lower in the RPMs? He'll beat me off the line and I'll probably not be able to earn that real estate back before we run out of running room ... if ever.

Logan
06-01-2004, 05:06 PM
He's also running 2.82 gears... His torque & power advantage off the line is destroyed by the gear ratio... Don't be so sure that it'd take you off the line.

Fourth Horseman
06-01-2004, 05:13 PM
He's also running 2.82 gears... His torque & power advantage off the line is destroyed by the gear ratio... Don't be so sure that it'd take you off the line.

Well, I've had numerous misguided 300M drivers try to take me, so maybe the 300C boys'll give it a try as well. :coolman:

bigslim
06-01-2004, 06:09 PM
I just posted a thread about the 300C getting a new 6.1 liter engine in 2005. It will have 425 hp. It will be called the SRT-8. There is a note in the new issue of Motor Trend.

Johng
06-01-2004, 06:18 PM
I rented a Chrysler 300 this weekend while I was out of town. What a dog! The car was one of the 6 cyl, couldn't get out of his own way, and uncomfortable, I tried to ride with my arm out the window and was terribly uncomfortable because of the hieght of the door frame! Counldn't wait to get home and drive my MM!

Cobra25
06-01-2004, 06:51 PM
I see them almost every day down hear is Southern Florida. They are saying that the Hummers, Caddy ES SUV and the Chrysler 300's are the 3 hottest thing's being bought in the Car market down here.

RCSignals
06-01-2004, 11:03 PM
I rented a Chrysler 300 this weekend while I was out of town. What a dog! The car was one of the 6 cyl, couldn't get out of his own way, and uncomfortable, I tried to ride with my arm out the window and was terribly uncomfortable because of the hieght of the door frame! Counldn't wait to get home and drive my MM!
I've heard similar from others. Also that good visibility, especially to the rear is almost non existent

MENINBLK
06-01-2004, 11:30 PM
At least I get to see a Marauder on 'Touching Evil' at least 4 times a week,
while the GTO has to have a TV MOVIE for ONE TIME appearance.
If the 300 makes the same appearance in one time movie, it will be a lot of $$$ for a little play time.
The Marauder gets some play time on almost every showing of 'Touching Evil'.