PDA

View Full Version : Shop nightmare - input, anyone?

a_d_a_m
05-24-2017, 10:01 AM
I dropped off the TR3650 at a local shop over four weeks ago to be rebuilt. When I'd called to arrange this rebuild, I was told that turnaround time would be about a week, or week and a half. Mind you, this is the shop that did the head work on my Marauder in 2012, and I was highly satisfied with their work back then.

I called after two weeks and was told that they got slammed with a few jobs ahead of mine and they were "about to" start it.

A week later, I went in and asked if I could take the transmission elsewhere. The guy told me it was on the bench about to be disassembled. I expressed some annoyance and told them to proceed. A couple of days later, I got a call with the damage report and an estimate.

I asked about turnaround time, and was assured it would be within a week.

A week later (this past Thursday), I called to find out when I could pick up the transmission. They claimed that the rebuild kit they'd purchased was incorrect and that they expected the correct parts within two business days (Friday and Monday). They said they would need two days to put it together upon receipt of the correct parts.

I should be receiving a call today if they hold up their most recent claim...but I'm not expecting to receive one; I expect more lip service.

At that point, I'm inclined to pay a little more and just buy a rebuilt TR3650 online.

What would you do?

RubberCtyRauder
05-24-2017, 10:21 AM
is there any written estimate with terms? is there receipt of you dropping trans off? i would want them to pound salt and tbey can keep it, you are not giving them one cent, tbey can keep it as a paperweight and go buy elsewhere. thats what i would want, my cash flow might be ankther story of rebuild vs a new one.

Zack
05-24-2017, 10:28 AM
Just go pick it up

2,4shofast
05-24-2017, 10:40 AM
I would go pick it up as well.:alone:

a_d_a_m
05-24-2017, 10:41 AM
Nothing written nor signed.

Mr. Man
05-24-2017, 10:43 AM
Have them fix it and pay with a bum check. When they call to say your check bounced tell them you got slammed with other bills and you will be depositing money in your account in a couple of days then they should redeposit the check. When it bounces again and they call tell them that check they got was from and old account and that you will mail them a good current account check that goes through. Give the F'ers a piece of there own medicine. :beer:

NorthShoreChiMM
05-24-2017, 11:44 AM
Have them fix it and pay with a bum check. When they call to say your check bounced tell them you got slammed with other bills and you will be depositing money in your account in a couple of days then they should redeposit the check. When it bounces again and they call tell them that check they got was from and old account and that you will mail them a good current account check that goes through. Give the F'ers a piece of there own medicine. :beer:

Don't piss of Mr. Man.

RF Overlord
05-24-2017, 01:45 PM
Once you have your transmission back, be sure to tell them how dissatisfied you are and that you will not only never return, but you will tell all your friends about your poor experience with them.

a_d_a_m
05-24-2017, 02:00 PM
As it goes, I found myself in the area and decided to pay a visit.

Owner was rude and not thrilled that I'd walked in to see what was up. I asked what was going on and he claimed there was a delay due to incorrect parts. This was the line I got last week so I called him on it. He claimed they got another shipment of wrong parts and he would "call me later".

At this point I said I wanted my transmission back. He refused, stating he needed to be paid for the disassembly thus far. Rather than walk into the shop and rummage around and HOPE I got my parts (and probably a 911 call about a crazed Polack) I told him to enjoy the paperweight and walked out as he asked "what do you want me to do about it?"

At this point, I turned around and, in front of two other customers, said "I want a transmission rebuild quoted at a week and a half to TAKE a week and a half!" and continued toward the door.

A Mustang owner was walking in; I told him to take his business elsewhere if he ever wanted to see his car again. I'll call the BBB tomorrow.

Found a trans online and it is already on a pallet coming my way.

RF Overlord
05-24-2017, 02:07 PM
he claimed there was a delay due to incorrect parts. This was the line I got last week so I called him on it. He claimed they got another shipment of wrong partsWow...either he (or his people) are grossly incompetent, or his supplier is.

This Kraut feels bad for the crazed Polack.

mm svt
05-24-2017, 02:13 PM
Dang, sorry for your experience. I would have had him bring the pieces up to the counter first tho

RubberCtyRauder
05-24-2017, 02:18 PM
sux to hear adam that it all went sour. i bet it felt good telling him off, hope you get a good one elsewhere.

a_d_a_m
05-24-2017, 02:29 PM
It felt good telling him off in the moment.
Now I feel a little stupid for letting myself get worked up.
There are transmissions a plenty out there and I have the money to buy one. It's just a car.

mm svt
05-24-2017, 02:37 PM
They were going to charge you more than a grand anyway

justbob
05-24-2017, 02:52 PM
Anyone that's you have to chase isn't worth doing any business with..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RubberCtyRauder
05-24-2017, 03:08 PM
its a car, yes,.maybe getting worked up over it seems silly now, but you were led around, not the car, you were deceited, prolly lied to, worked around with no regard etc. post it up on social media how messed up they are.

a_d_a_m
05-24-2017, 03:34 PM
They (rather wisely) have shut off the 'reviews' section on their Facebook.

Anyway, avoid Powerline Engine in Mentor, Ohio.

a_d_a_m
05-24-2017, 03:52 PM
Anyone that's you have to chase isn't worth doing any business with.. I don't mind doing a little chasing. I understand shops are busy and try to be patient. A week estimate usually doesn't prompt any action on my part until about the 9-10 day mark.

But nobody should have to chase a shop down to the extent I did.

burt ragio
05-24-2017, 04:08 PM
Social media sites are a great thing. Customers can make or break a business. At the same time social media reviews can grow a business. Businesses today have to be on their game as they should be. They have to be professional through & through. They have to keep the customer in the loop, Do quality work and offer fair pricing. that is just the beginning.

Gerry24
05-24-2017, 04:15 PM
its a car, yes,.maybe getting worked up over it seems silly now, but you were led around, not the car, you were deceited, prolly lied to, worked around with no regard etc. post it up on social media how messed up they are.

^^^:concur:^^^

Spectragod
05-24-2017, 04:40 PM

Anyway, avoid Powerline Engine in Mentor, Ohio.

Google reviews, yelp etc..., and a call to the BBB if they are a member. Writing a bad check would not be a good idea, unless you look good in orange.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk

Mr. Man
05-24-2017, 04:41 PM

Anyway, avoid Powerline Engine in Mentor, Ohio.Bad review on Yelp and of course the BBB will do it's thing. Just make sure you use phrases like 'in my opinion', or 'it was my experience'. You don't want to expose yourself to libel.

Spectragod
05-24-2017, 05:28 PM
Bad review on Yelp and of course the BBB will do it's thing. Just make sure you use phrases like 'in my opinion', or 'it was my experience'. You don't want to expose yourself to libel.

It's not libel or defamation if it's truthful, I have no problems giving bad reviews when warranted, this is one of those cases.

MOTOWN
05-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Pick it up , get another trans , and move on life is too short to get caught up in foolishness.

MyBlackBeasts
05-24-2017, 07:05 PM
Is this Dennis Reinhart's shop?!?

You are describing his business model... :shake:

massacre
05-25-2017, 01:26 AM
They "received the wrong parts" twice and never contacted you about it?
Clown shoes.
Probably on drugs.

justbob
05-25-2017, 04:52 AM
They "received the wrong parts" twice and never contacted you about it?
Clown shoes.
Probably on drugs.

Well the parts were for the ultra rare 3650 and only came in in those low production Mustangs I think they call them AND manufactured in that USA country by that small company Ford...

You guys are brutal and just don't see the complications with obtaining this kind of stuff!

a_d_a_m
05-25-2017, 06:22 AM
They "received the wrong parts" twice and never contacted you about it? Correct. And not only that, they didn't seem to understand why that might be upsetting or annoying to a customer.

Oh well, onward and forward.

a_d_a_m
05-25-2017, 06:42 AM
Is this Dennis Reinhart's shop?!?

You are describing his business model... :shake:

Well the parts were for the ultra rare 3650 and only came in in those low production Mustangs I think they call them AND manufactured in that USA country by that small company Ford...

You guys are brutal and just don't see the complications with obtaining this kind of stuff!

Thanks for the laughs, guys, I needed that! :D

loud2004marquis
05-25-2017, 06:57 AM
Isn't there a member on here who does transmissions? Might be a good option?

tbone
05-25-2017, 09:44 AM
If it's any consolation, my transmission story is far longer, sadder, waaaay more expensive and maddening than yours.

a_d_a_m
05-25-2017, 10:06 AM
I don't want to use someone else's misery as my own silver lining.

8UWITH6
05-25-2017, 12:39 PM
I had a nightmear with a TR3650 repair. 1st shop disassembled it for me to install a 2-3 synchro. Then said it was in meed of a total rebuild. Picked it up and took it to another shop he laughed and said he has no idea how many tr3650s he has received in pieces but usually most of them. He had it repaired in a week.

1Marauder
05-25-2017, 04:10 PM
Bad review on Yelp and of course the BBB will do it's thing. Just make sure you use phrases like 'in my opinion', or 'it was my experience'. You don't want to expose yourself to libel.

And strive for accuracy and use dates (have a calendar marked as you write it:

I dropped the tranny of at 3PM march 15th, and was told 1 to 1.5 weeks.

I contacted them on March 25th, and was told "some jobs came in ahead of mine... " and it would be another week.

I stopped in April 4th, and my Tranny was on the bench unopened, and un-repaired (yes I made that word up)...

At the end you can write --6.5 weeks later I still have no Transmission, and am buying a rebuilt one somewhere else. I SUGGEST YOU DO THE SAME!

PS Imagine if this were my Daily Driver? Without a car 8 weeks?

a_d_a_m
05-26-2017, 03:08 PM
Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact dates. Wasn't expecting to have problems with this place as they'd been good before.

Lesson learned, that's for damn sure...

a_d_a_m
05-30-2017, 12:36 PM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w110/jackiegleason/2007%20stick%20Crown%20Vic/4A21CE6F-7725-4876-A75B-210B9BBD15CA_zpsrqj8tbpp.jpg

1Marauder
05-31-2017, 10:43 PM
Where in OKC did you get that beautiful And any word from old mechanic?

I'd jot everything down chronologically, as I previously mentioned, as if he comes after you for his tlabor, parts expense, and storage... You will have all of the notes, again, with a rough time table. Judge Judy will rule in your favor!

justbob
06-01-2017, 03:57 AM
Where in OKC did you get that beautiful And any word from old mechanic?

I'd jot everything down chronologically, as I previously mentioned, as if he comes after you for his tlabor, parts expense, and storage... You will have all of the notes, again, with a rough time table. Judge Judy will rule in your favor!

I doubt he is stupid enough to try and collect. But then again your average person anymore...

RF Overlord
06-01-2017, 11:08 AM
Judge Judy will rule in your favor!I used to watch her years ago, but lately she's become arrogant, mean, and just a very unpleasant person. FYI, she makes $47 million a year from that show. WTF?! SMH.

Spectragod
06-01-2017, 01:51 PM
I used to watch her years ago, but lately she's become arrogant, mean, and just a very unpleasant person. FYI, she makes $47 million a year from that show. WTF?! SMH.

Dealing with the idiots that show up on that program.......I would be the same way.

I'm sure away from the elements of the show, she is completely different......or not.

Still better than Jerry Springer.

a_d_a_m
06-01-2017, 01:59 PM
Still better than Jerry Springer. You mean our next governor?
https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2017/05/30/some-democrats-want-jerry-springer-for-ohio-governor-in-2018

:arcade:

Don't count me among the "some" contingent, by the way.

/derail

Spectragod
06-01-2017, 02:11 PM
You mean our next governor?
https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2017/05/30/some-democrats-want-jerry-springer-for-ohio-governor-in-2018

:arcade:

Don't count me among the "some" contingent, by the way.

/derail

Uhhhhhh wow....