PDA

View Full Version : I picked up a new bass

Motorhead350
07-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Well it seems like I'm getting closer and closer to playing music as a profession.

I was asked to be a part of a side project of a major band. They asked me if I wanted to play guitar and I actually said I always wanted to play bass. So a few weeks went by and I found this Ibanez TMB100. The band came to Chicago and we went shopping and they told me the budget for a bass was $1,000. I wanted the bass that was $159. The boys were surprised I went way understand budget, but when I explained bigger money isn't always the option for what you want they and completely understood it.

Recording will happen in about 3 weeks and I have been playing this nearly every day, which makes guitar a lot easier. I have no idea what this project will lead to, but they were fine with my actual band being the opener for this project with a major act headlining. Playing 2 sets in a night is nothing new for me and being that I would only being doing back up vocals and leads for only one song, this will be of no issue and a ton of fun.

I'll plasti dip the pick guard green or purple, likely green. I do not have any effects right now, but I'll see what pedals I can find for this.

Anyone else play bass? What do you have?

Sorry for sideways picture, it was straight when I uploaded it...

RF Overlord
07-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Mr. Bass Man, you've got that certain somethin'
Mr. Bass Man, you set that music thumpin'

:D

Motorhead350
07-13-2017, 01:36 PM
You're the hidden king of rock n' roll.

How do you know that song Bob? That's before your time son.

RF Overlord
07-13-2017, 02:02 PM
Dude, it's a classic. Recently found out Ronnie Bright, who sang the bass lines, died in November of 2015... :depress:

Haggis
07-13-2017, 04:02 PM
Congrats Dom and keep on killing it. :up:

MyBlackBeasts
07-13-2017, 05:00 PM
Great to hear, Dom!

Keep it up!

BigCars4Ever
07-13-2017, 05:05 PM
I have a blue Fender MIM Precision Jazz that I like to play. Playing bass is a great way for a guitar player to build finger strength!

Motorhead350
07-17-2017, 10:43 AM
I have a blue Fender MIM Precision Jazz that I like to play. Playing bass is a great way for a guitar player to build finger strength!

That's for sure. I don't even need to look at my guitar when I play anymore if I put in at least an hour a day on bass. Practice with the band has been quite different lately with a new drummer that actually seems like he wants to be there and a bass for practice. I now make less mistakes on guitar. It's kinda funny to look down and think "Oh wow, I made that EbM without looking even during the key change."

Nerd terms...

RF Overlord
07-17-2017, 12:01 PM
You sure you weren't playing an E#?

sailsmen
07-17-2017, 04:16 PM
I play Bass every time I speak.;)

Motorhead350
07-18-2017, 02:25 PM

HA!

I play Bass every time I speak.;)

Was this you??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJmcwb2oRl4

sailsmen
07-18-2017, 02:42 PM
No, but thank you for the link to some good music.

My step father was a WWII Vet in the coding units in England and France.

Towards the end whenever he would say "I am dying" I would sing Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. It got to the point he would say it just to hear me sing.

He had military bugles at his funeral so I didn't sing it then.

Point is singing and playing music is a part of our soul.

massacre
07-18-2017, 03:00 PM

First thing I thought too

Dom glad to hear you are diggin playing bass, it's fun as hell
Always great to learn a new instrument and as you have seen it will help with guitar too.
Keep your eye on the kick drum

Ibanez makes some really nice basses too. I have a vintage P bass that plays like a dream

Motorhead350
07-18-2017, 07:37 PM
Ibanez has been a favorite of mine recently.

A few years back I got a white Iceman with no floyd rose and strings go though the body, no soap bar.

LOVE IT.

Bigdogjim
07-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Good luck.