PDA

View Full Version : 250,000 miles just rolled

Motorhead350
07-20-2017, 12:59 PM
Thanks to many of you for sharing your knowledge on how we made this happen.

Ambitious1
07-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Congrats! That's awesome!

Marauderjack
07-20-2017, 02:10 PM
You're catchin' me Dom.....I am currently at a little less than 263,000 but mine sits 95% of the time now!!:rolleyes:

Nevertheless it's been QUITE A TRIP!!:bows::beer::burnout:

RF Overlord
07-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Mac won Highest Mileage Marauder at Carlisle with 207,000...hopefully it will still be running well when he catches up to you guys...

Svashtar
07-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Thanks to many of you for sharing your knowledge on how we made this happen.

Wow, congratulations! Gives me hope I'll have this car another few years, but time seems almost as hard on the car as miles. I have 137K to go to catch up with you.

My plan is to get the car as near back to factory new as I can, upgrading / fixing everything, then cover it and get a cheap daily driver and keep the MM for the weekend only.

Worst thing I ever did to this car was take a job two miles away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAD MERC
07-20-2017, 04:26 PM
That's quite a milestone!!! I will see that number in um... 68.8 years.

guspech750
07-20-2017, 07:24 PM
That's pretty cool Dom!

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

Big Black Beast
07-22-2017, 01:56 PM
Ha, good to see you're still Maraudering. I'm at 200,500 myself. There are some minor issues, but still driving daily.

Mr. Man
07-22-2017, 06:39 PM
Just breaking that diesel in Dom :D :P

alec2538
07-23-2017, 04:38 PM
Just turned 209k on mine on a ~300 mile road trip. Drove like an absolute beast. Smooth, comfortable, and climate controlled the entire way. Keep her going!

Gerry24
08-02-2017, 07:44 PM
Just turned 170k. Was grocery shopping at that time. :beer:

tbone
08-03-2017, 08:27 AM
Good to see Dom! Congrats!

Bigdogjim
08-04-2017, 12:35 AM
Only 160K ahead of me:)

Nice going

J-MAN
08-07-2017, 03:31 AM
Fascinating

Svashtar
08-07-2017, 07:44 AM
For you high mileage guys, can you give us an idea of when you did any key part replacements? Guides/tensioners, air suspension, radiator, u-joints, trans work, oil filter seat gasket, alternator, starter, ball joints?

Except for the air susp, mostly stuff I haven't had to deal with yet. Thanks.

ByronRACE
08-07-2017, 10:15 AM
Here's my experience with my 230K Marauder.

Brake pads - about every 100K miles
Spark plugs - About every 100K miles
Battery - Motorcraft, replaced at 190K miles
Oil - Every 5K miles
Started running diesel oil at 40-60K miles to cure intermittent sticky follower; (tick tick tick); has been cured since. Comes back if I switch to conventional oil.
Trans fluid - Every 60K miles.
Tires - Rotate every 10K, replace Every 30K miles (front insides still wear, carfixer align specs)
Serp belt - Changed at 100K, not sure why...looked fine.
Differential fluid every 60K, mine has been changed more than that due to axle failures.

Failures:
Transmission at 15K miles. Rebuilt with speed parts and shift kit; good since. About 5K for that one.
BCM - Repaired myself.
LCM - Recall fix.
EATC - Repaired myself.
Compass - Died; don't care.
Tach - Intermittently reads wrong value; have not torn into dash and won't until it dies.
Rear axles (failed twice, 2nd time was due to improper repair and metal contamination).
Front shocks at 80K; hit an unmarked speed bump, blew one.
Water pump - Leaked at 190k. O-ring on filler replaced as well; was leaking.
Front wheel bearings (spindle cartridges) at 220K; one started growling around turns.
Radio died at 200K, replaced with 6disk.
Drivers rear window regulator broke a cable at 200K; replaced with Dorman parts.
Automatic headlights no longer function after LCM recall. It was done twice due to this complaint. Issue is still open with Ford.
Lug nuts started falling apart and losing the chrome caps at about 60K miles. I carry spares and replace as they fail.
Rear end has a minor whine due to axle failure metal contamination. It's not bad enough to fix yet.
Wiper motor/controller died due to cowl bucket flapper at the bottom of the cowl tray being clogged with debris causing wiper motor to become submerged with water. Replaced motor and removed flapper. This happened around 100K miles.

Everything else...including hoses...original. Driven 70-100 miles daily.

massacre
08-08-2017, 01:17 AM
For you high mileage guys, can you give us an idea of when you did any key part replacements? Guides/tensioners, air suspension, radiator, u-joints, trans work, oil filter seat gasket, alternator, starter, ball joints?

Except for the air susp, mostly stuff I haven't had to deal with yet. Thanks.

All of that stuff depends on too many variables IMHO. Climate, driving conditions, speeds, driving style, road conditions, idle time, city VS highway driving, etc will all affect which parts are replaced at what time.

Svashtar
08-08-2017, 07:27 AM
You're right of course, especially with things like transmission, ball joints, etc. And if the car was maintained well or not. I didn't consider that enough. Or the climate.
I don't know about on our cars, but on my Toyota pickup the top tank on the radiator was like clockwork failing at about 150K for owners of that model, so I was looking for similar here. Thanks.

RF Overlord
08-08-2017, 08:19 AM
I've not heard of anything in particular that fails on mileage or age alone. Witness the many Crown Vics that live full lives as police cars, then go on to another life as taxis and now have 300,000+ miles without major failure.

Other than following proper routine maintenance you really can't prepare for any specific individual failure. If these cars weren't reasonably cost-effective and reliable they wouldn't have been "America's Cop Car" for so long.