PDA

View Full Version : Takata Air Bag with metal fragments

jimbok1951
07-29-2017, 05:59 AM
Anyone help ? I have a 2009 Pontiac Vibe with the recalled (Takata)passenger side front seat airbag and none are available for replacement, have a ticket opened with GM support. Normally with no passenger seated, light on dash indicates "air bag off" when passenger is seated or I put grocery bag on the seat indicator light goes off, indicating air bag is on. I am pretty confident is a pressure switch that is electrically normally open and closes on weight. I will not let anyone in that seat because of the metal fragment possibility, and the recall notice states that death/injury could occur. Lawyer CYA statement.

My question is I am going on vacation with a lot of stuff and want to at least use the seat for boxes/suitcases. If anyone knows can I just remove the wires to the pressure switch so circuit is open to that individual bag or will that disable the whole SRS system and give me fault codes ? Alternate game plan to mechanically remove seat switch and leave hang so wiring/switch is still in the circuit and contacts open along with other bags are still functioning ?
My local mechanic who does my PA inspection does not know, and neither does others I have asked.
Thanks in advance, Jim Kelly

sailsmen
07-29-2017, 06:07 AM
Drive into an embankment at 55mph.

Airbags will explode, problem solved.

Have you been driving it for 9 years?

jimbok1951
07-29-2017, 06:12 AM
That's one way
got it 18 months ago no passenger when I learned of recall for a year

RF Overlord
07-29-2017, 07:01 AM
It may not be that simple. I found this online: (Delphi makes a lot of stuff for GM)

Let's take a look at one popular OCS (Occupant Classification System) made by Delphi. Inside the seat, you will find a pressure sensor, a silicone-filled "bladder", and an electronic control unit (ECU). When someone sits on the seat, the pressure sensor signals the occupant's weight to the ECU. The ECU then sends that data to the airbag, which has its own control unit. Based on that information, the vehicle's computer turns the passenger airbag on or off.

The OCS doesn't just detect weight. It reads the passenger's seating position and determines if they're wearing a seat belt. It also has a seat belt tension sensor that allows the OCS to interpret the pressure created when a child seat is fitted. In other words, the system is designed to tell whether a child safety seat is occupying that seat or whether you're just carrying some heavy object there. A light or sign on the instrument panel tells the driver whether the passenger airbag is on or off.

Once the onboard computer knows the passenger's size and weight, the car's dual stage airbags come into play. Based on the occupants' size, these types of airbags can deploy at full speed, partial speed, or not at all. An airbag deploying at full speed can badly injure or even kill a child or small adult. In addition, dual stage airbags also can deploy at lesser speeds when the car is involved in a minor collision.

jimbok1951
07-29-2017, 08:46 AM
Great info will call Delphi on Monday and let you know outcome
Thanks

Spectragod
07-29-2017, 08:51 AM
AOI makes devices to turn off/bypass airbags, I use them in fleet vehicles from time to time

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk

Spectragod
07-29-2017, 09:14 AM
Since I had to google it for the OP, I'll share it with everyone .....

http://aoielectrical.com/

Spectragod
07-29-2017, 09:21 AM
Or..... just unplug the bags in question, use a shunt or make your own, most are 2.7 ohms, or use a decade box to determine the ohms.

jimbok1951
07-29-2017, 05:52 PM
I will contact AOI for a shunt on Monday, thanks, I think that's the best option at this time.