PDA

View Full Version : Found an '03 Marauder in sorry state.

maximusslade
08-10-2017, 05:37 PM
Several times I have driven by a home not far from my own and I have seen a Marauder parked in the front of it. Today, I noticed it had not moved in a while so I decided to stop and knock on the door and see about the car.

The car was manufactured in August 2002. Pretty sure it is a 300A, black, moon roof. The lady of the household tells me her hubby wants $5k firm, but.... paint is bubbling on the roof and front pass fender, air ride is busted, there are some electrical issues, the car has not moved in years, and it kinda smells pretty bad on the interior... like mildewish.

Pretty sure this is a case of the price tag reflecting the sentimental value of the car vs the actual value.

Based on what I have said, I was thinking closer to $1k. It isn't a junker, but it does need a LOT of love. Was wondering your all's opinion since you guys are... well... experts.

BAD MERC
08-10-2017, 05:41 PM
Cash talks. Remember, play the labor card and emphasize the amount of work it will need. Don't come off like the car is special. Acting like you love it makes the price inflate. I think you might be on the right track. $3000 tops if it runs. More details if you have them.

maximusslade
08-10-2017, 05:51 PM
I have the door sticker info, but as the car is not mine, I do not feel right posting it. I will say the car is 628950. The lady did not mention any mechanical problems, just the air ride and electrical issues. She said the car had some... quirks. Paint was bubbling on the roof of the car about 9 inches in front of the rear window. Paint was also bubbling passenger side front fender right at the top of the arch. I looked at the engine, it looks complete. Lots of aluminium oxidation and some acorns that have been chewed upon. Again she stated the car has not moved in a long time.

They know I like it well enough to have stopped and knocked on their door. They know it is Marauder and what that means. Missus wants it fixed or gone, and hubby doesn't have the know how to do it himself. The car is the tangible link to his younger premarital years so he's priced it accordingly.

Listening to her, she tried to have Chip Foose's show, Overhaulin', come fix it up, but no dice. I think she's at the point where I offered to tow it off the yard she's accept.

As for the interior, there is some stank. But having ripped my Vic apart, I am not afraid of taking the seats out and giving everything a good shampoo.

Rims are solid, tires are flat. Brakes are a solid slab of rust. Silver reflective material in the side markers is peeling. Headlamps are foggy with condensation on the inside. No spoiler, battery is dead so I could not look in the trunk. I didn't bother to look at the odometer. Oh, and axle code is '56.' Not sure what it means.

Svashtar
08-10-2017, 06:45 PM
I think Bad Merc is in the right track pricewise, maybe even a little high IMO.

Ask yourself what an MM with nice paint and in good mechanical condition with a clean interior and over 80K miles would go for. Start with the 3K and add up what you'd have to put into this one to get it there. That will give some better perspective on the pricing.

Trouble is sitting for a long time is as hard on the car as driving it and beating it, maybe more so. And "electrical issues" can cover a lot of ground and turn into a rat's nest. Too bad he let it get that way...

Let us know if you decide to get it.

P.S. Just need the key to look in the trunk, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maximusslade
08-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Electrical doesn't scare me too much as it is what I do for a living. Plus I have a whole Marauder internal harness sitting in a pile in my garage and an engine harness sitting on a shelf. So I have parts if I need them for that.

Still, there is a lot of work to be done to make this even a $5k car. I don't think I'd be comfortable going any higher than $1500.

justbob
08-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Adding up nothing but negatives and dollar signs only insults sellers. Emphasize on the unknowns like the electrical and not running or driving and NO way to even guess what that will involve besides obvious things that you can see like the rusty brakes.

I always tell them that I expect a few things wrong and I'm a mechanic but this even has me questioning buying this as I don't want to insult you, but there is quite a bit more than I am wanting to chew off. Normally they get more eager to deal real world, especially if you show up prepared with a trailer..

Even then stick to your guns, stay polite, interested but not, and mention you dedicated your whole day to car shopping and you have two more appointments so you either have to meet my price soon or I have to get going to the next one I'm checking out.

Problem is he isn't trying to sell it, your trying to buy it. Big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MERCURY 2003LSE
08-10-2017, 07:15 PM
If it is a 2003 - 300 A and has a Moon roof it is aftermarket ,
If it is that rough I would walk away .:beer:

maximusslade
08-10-2017, 07:25 PM
I am almost in agreement. I mean, I really would like a bonafide Marauder, but I am already balls deep in my 4V swap into my Vic. I mean, when done, it is damn near the same thing. I know, I know, sacrilege, but mechanically, it is true. It is probably best that I finish the project I am working on and have the baddest Crown Vic on the block.

MERCURY 2003LSE
08-10-2017, 07:29 PM
I would finish your project that you spent your hard earned cash and all your time on,
Have fun with what you got . :beer:

mm svt
08-11-2017, 06:05 AM
We know you'll get the critter living under the intake with the car and all the wires it ate but still the front and read bumper covers and the heads are going to fetch 2k

Catfish
08-11-2017, 06:14 AM
Without knowing if it runs I think you're in the ballpark at $1500. Worst case and the engine is shot the car is worth that for parts, as long as you have a place to store them. Keep us updated.

Agent2006
08-11-2017, 06:17 AM
"....Oh, and axle code is '56.' Not sure what it means..."

56 = 3.55 traction lock rear they all had that.

I "saved" one for $1300...minor front end damage, guy was parting it out...quickly it has added up to $3800 - that's junkyard crawling and rock auto for parts. Not done yet either.

ByronRACE
08-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Are you sure you're not courting a flood car?

tbone
08-11-2017, 09:26 AM
If you got it for $1000, you could sell the floor mats for $4000 and call the junk yard to tow the carcass away.....

sailsmen
08-11-2017, 09:30 AM
If your time and money are of value buy a Marauder in near new condition, you will come out way ahead in time and money.

Turbov6Bryan
08-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Your first offer will always be declined. Make a 1000.00 offer. Then 1200.00 and walk away. Give her a week and stick with your 1200.00 offer. She will come around eventually

I had this old drunk lady about 1 mile from my parents house, she had a rusty neglected 1985 hot air T-TYPE with rust holes in the 1/4 panels big enough you could see through to the other side of the car, and see thru it

I didn't even get a offer in, she says $15,000.00 is what she had to get out of it. The POS was a 500.00-800.00 car. At the time any mint 86-87 were selling for 7500.00 or there about....

She drank herself to death a few years later , I stopped by at the estate sale and car was gone... Son picked it up. Not much later it was impounded and parted out at U WRENCH IT

Maybe if you tell the current owner it's gonna take a lot of money and love to get it back into its former glory. If she knows the car will be in good hands, sometimes that's more important than $$$$.$$

Agent2006
08-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Bring the cash
Make a list of repairs -air suspension, single stage repaint
Be polite
If it has an OEM moonroof its probably a 2004, otherwise aftermarket - much less desirable

The fact that she even talked to you is a good sign
Good luck

1Marauder
08-13-2017, 07:41 AM
My .02 cents. Show ad from Marauders for sale section of $6,700 one owner spotless car. Explain simply that paint, wireing, rear suspension and _____ will add up far past value/price they are asking. Offer $800 and you will tow it away TODAY.

Otherwise, RUN don't walk away.

Unless you need parts (and this is a valid reason to buy it) it much less expensive to buy a clean one owner running Marauder listed in for sale forum for $6,700.

At the $175 per month cost -- you will instantly be far far far ahead the first day of ownership, and every day after.