PDA

View Full Version : Re: Interesting Paint Job

Ambitious1
08-21-2017, 12:37 PM
Not mine, but I like the unique paint job on this one. Gray with double black stripes:

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/33850183#

Svashtar
08-21-2017, 01:55 PM
Very nice; super low miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jtrip
08-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Doesn't look too bad.

stryker
08-21-2017, 04:30 PM
I don't see any pictures of that Panther

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Bigdogjim
08-21-2017, 05:02 PM
Nice paint, color looks great.

Pat
08-21-2017, 05:27 PM
That is a beautiful Marauder.

gdmjoe
08-21-2017, 05:38 PM
http://www.gdmjoe.com/nonono.gif http://www.gdmjoe.com/2thumbsdown.gif
Just say "NO" to racing stripes on full-size vehicles. *cars | trucks.

BAD MERC
08-21-2017, 05:44 PM
Whoever did the paint was thorough enough to jamb it and do the trunk lid, or so the pictures would appear. Why would a vehicle with 48K miles need a paint job? Unless that was a custom request, I am sure that's at least a $4000 job. It's not too bad stripping one of these down so nothing needs to be masked if you have a box of rivets and the Big Forking Rivet tool. This was a LOT of labor and it paid off.

MMBLUE
08-21-2017, 06:29 PM
FAIL with no engine pix

Spectragod
08-21-2017, 07:43 PM
Whoever did the paint was thorough enough to jamb it and do the trunk lid, or so the pictures would appear. Why would a vehicle with 48K miles need a paint job? Unless that was a custom request, I am sure that's at least a $4000 job. It's not too bad stripping one of these down so nothing needs to be masked if you have a box of rivets and the Big Forking Rivet tool. This was a LOT of labor and it paid off.

I was thinking the same thing, the doors are a pain to take apart and re-assemble.

ChiTownMaraud3r
08-21-2017, 07:47 PM
I'm pretty sure I follow the guy on instagram. He just traded it for a C7 vette. Nice car and well kept.

MyBlackBeasts
08-21-2017, 08:06 PM
I don't see any pictures of that Panther

When you click link there is a green "Just In" box, click pictures link at bottom right of green box, a popup will appear, scroll down the popup for pics.

stryker
08-21-2017, 08:41 PM
When you click link there is a green "Just In" box, click pictures link at bottom right of green box, a popup will appear, scroll down the popup for pics.

Thank you My Black Beasts I

MyBlackBeasts
08-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Thank you My Black Beasts I

:up:

Cool paint? I like.

Don't know why full repaint needed at 48k unless person just wanted their own color... :dunno:

tbone
08-22-2017, 07:43 AM
Why would a vehicle with 48K miles need a paint job?

Because FOMOCO did a lot of crap paint jobs and (mostly) refused to warranty it.

Svashtar
08-22-2017, 08:17 AM
Because FOMOCO did a lot of crap paint jobs and (mostly) refused to warranty it.

+++1; at my insistence, the dealer repainted one of my doors, the trunk lid, one quarter panel, and still missed the gutters over the rear windows (no paint there at all which I missed until rust appeared) and under the trunk lid. There were also clear coat globs on the roof which they ignored. He sanded and clear coated a bunch more. Ford black sucks.

If I knew then what I know now I would have been the customer from hell until they repainted the entire car, including under the UHI. But as the car had 300 miles on it, and had been sitting on their lot 21 months listed as a Grand Marquis, I got the car for a fantastic price, so had to factor that in. I would rather have paid more and got better paint though.

FYI, after their body shop painted it, the geniuses parked it for 24 hours next to a construction zone dumpster, so the new paint was completely covered in heavy cement dust and grit, bits of drywall, small pieces of wood and metal, etc. F@&$ing idiot a$$@oles!

What kinda sorta saved the paint was Zaino scratch and swirl remover, and several days of elbow grease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ambitious1
08-22-2017, 09:40 AM

+1 on this for sure. It seems the lighter colors in 03 and 04 had no issue (that I am aware of), however the darker colors like the black had serious peeling and other issues. Does anyone know specifically what happened at the factory to cause this kind of wide-spread paint issue?

ChiTownMaraud3r
08-22-2017, 10:19 AM
The bean counters happened.

Ambitious1
08-22-2017, 11:04 AM
The bean counters happened.

Okay, I understand that. But why did it only happen to the darker colors? I have't heard of 03 and 04 GMQs and CVs with lighter colors having paint issues.

I think even the MM Silver Birches don't have the same issue (unless I'm mistaken). Was it just poor quality black paint? Or something else with the actual application process of the darker paint?

ChiTownMaraud3r
08-22-2017, 11:08 AM
Ford paint quality has always been a disaster regardless of color. The mustang forums are full of people complaining about the incredibly thin paint and clear, on brand new, modern cars.

stevengerard
08-22-2017, 01:07 PM
I really like grey Marauders - big or not I like stripes. heck My 442 is bigger than this car and it has lots of stripes on it.

Spectragod
08-22-2017, 04:36 PM
Ford paint quality has always been a disaster regardless of color. The mustang forums are full of people complaining about the incredibly thin paint and clear, on brand new, modern cars.

Removal of isocyanates and lead doesn't make the paint better, just sayin'......

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk

MyBlackBeasts
08-22-2017, 06:18 PM
Okay, I understand that. But why did it only happen to the darker colors? I have't heard of 03 and 04 GMQs and CVs with lighter colors having paint issues.

I think even the MM Silver Birches don't have the same issue (unless I'm mistaken). Was it just poor quality black paint? Or something else with the actual application process of the darker paint?

I was told that they screwed up and didn't flush all the solvent out of the lines after cleaning them out. The solvent left in the lines caused all the spotting paint failures on the blacks.

Mike Brown
08-22-2017, 08:52 PM
That use be Crossroads Lincoln Mercury, I bought a 2000 GM there and check out a 2004 Silver Marauder also. I think I'll check it out.

ChiTownMaraud3r
08-23-2017, 08:40 AM
Removal of isocyanates and lead doesn't make the paint better, just sayin'......

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk

Yep. Just comparing to GM and Chrysler though, seems they are still sub-par.

MyBlackBeasts
08-23-2017, 08:57 AM
Yep. Just comparing to GM and Chrysler though, seems they are still sub-par.

Yep.

Everything about Ford - design, quality, top tier business decisions, etc = has become sub-par since Elena butted her nose into operations. Company has been racing to the bottom since the mid 2000s.

It was bad enough terminating the Panthers but then forcing that POS Police Taurus on the cops that is completely impossible for them to use but now Ford is trying to kill the cops that are using Explorers!

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/police-suffering-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-driving-ford-explorer/

BAD MERC
08-23-2017, 01:43 PM
+1 on Ford paint issue. However, my '95 SHO had original silver and was never garaged. The paint still showed no UV damage when she was sold in 2005. My Merc is silver and has been garaged since she was a year old and looks new. My 2006 Taurus in Merlot looks like crap on the top surfaces and yes, garaged since she had 14 miles on the odometer.