PDA

View Full Version : Bullit is on TV now!

David Morton
06-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Couldn't find a thread for it and I think any forum like this one ought to have one so we can let each other know.

Bullit is on MoviePlex now. Came on at 9 Eastern. Car chase coming up!

THE_INTERCEPTOR
06-04-2004, 06:02 AM
I bought that movie on DVD for my dad last X-mas. :)

Marauder
06-04-2004, 06:22 AM

Awesome movie!!! I received it as a gift last Chrismas. :D

Bluerauder
06-04-2004, 07:28 AM
My kids also gave me the "Bullitt" DVD and scale model 1:24 car to match last for my last birthday. I believe that I have timed the chase sequence at just over 11 minutes. I remember seeing this one in the movies on the big screen as a teenager.

Just for grins ... next time you watch the movie ... check out the number of times that the green VW beetle is in the scenes on the San Fransisco hill sequence.

The Bullitt Mustang was niiiiiiice !!!! But, at that time, I was a little partial to that black Dodge Charger R/T that the bad guys were driving. Unfortunately, I didn't get my Charger until 1974.

MarauderMike
06-04-2004, 10:13 AM
I'd get worn out double clutching that much!

THE_INTERCEPTOR
06-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Good to see so many people appreciate the classic. :)

TripleTransAm
06-04-2004, 12:25 PM
For several years (maybe 4-5?) I had the soundtrack from the chase scene as the background to my work voice mail. With a little editing, I had the revving Mustang motor (as he's waiting to turn across traffic to chase the Charger) repeating randomly so as to sound realistic as I said my greeting, then it ended with the Charger screaming away up the hill away from the Mustang (even though it happened first in the movie)... and followed by a BEEP. ;)

If I remember correctly, my greeting ended with " and I'll get back to you, as soon as I can outrun these guys that are after me..." and then the tire squealing began, fading to silence, and BEEP.

I used to come to work and find a half-dozen or so empty messages in my voice mailbox every morning, although the short "bip" gave it away as being an international call... seems word of my voice mail greeting had reached some of our offices in Europe and Australia. Folks would call to listen and then hang up, but international voice trunks always took longer to hang up so the voice mail would catch the final "bip".

As soon as I get this on DVD, I'm considering re-recording it (with MUCH better fidelity than through a boom box with an RCA cable to a VCR using a taped version of the movie from TV, editted on Windows 3.1, and recorded through headphones held against the office telephone's microphone!). It would be fun to see how many in this company would remember this message? (I erased it in 1998, when I left for a 2 week vacation in Sweden).

Bluerauder
06-04-2004, 12:38 PM
For several years (maybe 4-5?) I had the soundtrack from the chase scene as the background to my work voice mail. With a little editing, I had the revving Mustang motor (as he's waiting to turn across traffic to chase the Charger) repeating randomly so as to sound realistic as I said my greeting, then it ended with the Charger screaming away up the hill away from the Mustang (even though it happened first in the movie)... and followed by a BEEP. ;)
Wow, I would have liked to hear that message. :D

The really "classic scene" is when Steve McQueen catches the Charger and you can see the Mustang come over the hill in the Charger's rear view mirror. Great stuff. :up:

QWK SVT
06-05-2004, 07:30 AM
Bullitt is one of my favorites! For those of you with the DVD, count the number of times they pass the same cars, and the number of hubcaps lost during the chase... Then, remember there are only 4 wheels per car :shake:

Anyone ever seen Gone in 60 Seconds (the original). It's basically just one VERY, VERY long car chase. It's great!

TripleTransAm
06-05-2004, 07:58 AM
The really "classic scene" is when Steve McQueen catches the Charger and you can see the Mustang come over the hill in the Charger's rear view mirror. Great stuff. :up:

The whole movie is awesome, and not just from a car lover's point of view.

Having watched it again a few years back, I was rudely reminded how much drama and atmosphere you could convey to the viewer simply using camera angles, background music, and (get this): silence! Look at how many scenes involve Steve McQueen simply staring at the person he's speaking to... not a modern-day "yo, I'm gonna tear your tongue out" type of menacing action-hero look, just the calm blank stare, nothing being said. You *know* the character's thinking things through, soaking in what's been happening, and I'm guessing this gives the movie viewer time to think along with the character, and at the same time completely soaking in the atmosphere (whether stressed or peaceful).

Filmmakers of the day did not have the luxury of resorting to computer graphics and editting to convey atmosphere. As such, they had to work harder to suck the viewer into the movie... it's not uncommon for me to get 'tunnelvision' when watching a well made (ie. well filmed and editted) movie, where I cease to really notice what's going on around the TV screen.

Now, from greatness to utter disappointment:

I have a special place in my heart for Smokey And the Bandit (the first movie) as I thoroughly enjoyed the spontaneity of the characters and the action, not to mention the cool car. :pimp: But I came down to the kitchen for breakfast and saw my son had put on the DVD for Smokey and the Bandit 2 while having a muffin and doing some crayon colouring.

I could only sit through no more than 15 minutes' worth. AACK!! What a horrible piece of celluloid! The acting (!)... the stunts... the storyline... Dom DeLuise... AACK! Even the engine soundtrack was overdubbed, as I noticed identical sound clips from the first movie (yes, I've watched it enough times to recognize the individual engine sound clips... :bandit: ).

I gotta get me the original Vanishing Point on DVD (see above paragraphs on the beauty of cinematography and conveying emotions through silence...).

David Morton
06-05-2004, 10:38 AM
We love to talk about cars and the great films that showcase our passion. So I started this thread and am happy to read you guys' comments about this classic.

I figure we need to start threads on the others, too. Aside from the ones mentioned here how's about;

Gator- Burt Reynolds in a 2dr LTD w/428 PI (is that right?)
The French Connection- can't remember what Gene Hackman was driving but it is an awesome chase scene.
Dirty Larry and Crazy Mary or Crazy Larry and Dirty Mary or whatever the hell the name of the flick with Peter Fonda driving that, was it a SuperBee?

Threads like this can give us some warning to turn off the computer and see some of the movieland action we love.

rookie1
06-05-2004, 12:50 PM
RONIN......................... ......one the best movie chase scenes ever filmed, good flick too.

THE_INTERCEPTOR
06-05-2004, 03:09 PM
RONIN......................... ......one the best movie chase scenes ever filmed, good flick too.

I've got Ronin on DVD. what a great movie. It never gets old. Just like Resevoir Dogs. :up:

Bluerauder
06-05-2004, 05:45 PM
I gotta get me the original Vanishing Point on DVD (see above paragraphs on the beauty of cinematography and conveying emotions through silence...).
I saw (parts of :rolleyes: ) the original Vanishing Point at a Drive-In. Lots of horsepower and muscle in that one. The final scene took me completely by surprise.

I think the other movie was "Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry" ... I think it had Goldie Hawn as Dirty Mary. At the end, the car gets broadsided by a freight train in a speed race to the RR crossing. Oops, sorry didn't mean to spoil the ending.

TripleTransAm
06-05-2004, 05:56 PM

Excellent acting in that one as well! Saw that one in the theaters and was blown away. Very entertaining. Robert DeNiro is typecast in his best type of role, but pulls it off in spades. And I was glad to see english-speaking audiences introduced to Jean Reno, definitely a versatile actor if you've seen some of his other works. And my wife was surprised to see Stellan Skarsgård, a very well known Swedish actor, who's played a Swedish equivalent of the James Bond series of movies (character name: Carl Hamilton).

Two Lane Blacktop is another one I'm trying to track down on DVD or tape. heard that one is good for a car nut.

merc406
06-05-2004, 06:16 PM
I saw (parts of :rolleyes: ) the original Vanishing Point at a Drive-In. Lots of horsepower and muscle in that one. The final scene took me completely by surprise.

I think the other movie was "Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry" ... I think it had Goldie Hawn as Dirty Mary. At the end, the car gets broadsided by a freight train in a speed race to the RR crossing. Oops, sorry didn't mean to spoil the ending.

Yes it was Dirty Mary and "CRAZY LARRY" , never lived that one down, shoudn't have taken my then girlfriend now wife to that one. :bounce:

David Morton
06-05-2004, 09:36 PM
I think the other movie was "Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry" ... I think it had Goldie Hawn as Dirty Mary. At the end, the car gets broadsided by a freight train in a speed race to the RR crossing. Oops, sorry didn't mean to spoil the ending.Thanks for the correction and nope, it wasn't Goldie, Susan something and they weren't racing the train, they had just broken free of Vic Morrow (RIP) the sherrifs roadblocking attempts and were celebrating their victory, just tooling along to freedom and...

...WHAM!

jerrym3
06-07-2004, 11:52 AM
I was working in a Ford Parts Depot when the movie first came out.

Saw it in the movies; big screen.

The ups and downs of that chase actually made your stomach feel wierd when watching it in a movie house.

It was the talk of all of us "picker-packers" in the Parts Depot.

David Morton
07-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Turner Classic Movies right now.

So long guys, until it's over.

:D

Bluerauder
07-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Turner Classic Movies right now.

So long guys, until it's over.

:D
Just posted same, same in the shout box !!! I have seen the car chase scene a 100 times and still love it !!! :up:

Joe Walsh
07-07-2005, 05:58 PM
I figure we need to start threads on the others, too. Aside from the ones mentioned here how's about;

Gator- Burt Reynolds in a 2dr LTD w/428 PI (is that right?)

'385' series big block....429 cid with a 4 speed toploader. I think that Burt claimed that it was a built NASCAR engine or something like that....

FastMerc
07-07-2005, 06:59 PM
I believe the charger takes out a camera too in that chase.

David Morton
07-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Just posted same, same in the shout box !!! I have seen the car chase scene a 100 times and still love it !!! :up:100 times? Funny, I would've thought you were a really big fan. :lol:

ncmm
07-07-2005, 07:18 PM
glued to the tube for 2 hours, they just don't make movies like that anymore, classic :cool:

Vortex
07-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Back to Bullitt, you should google and see what the camera car looked like that filmed the chase scene, its as wild as anything I ever saw. I had the model so long ago, it was called the Pirana. Also, the motorcycle guy he sees crash on the highway is the same guy who jumped the wire in the "great escape".

Bluerauder
07-07-2005, 07:44 PM
I believe the charger takes out a camera too in that chase.
Watch the final scene really close and you can see the Charger pass behind the fireball. :D I think that I read somewhere that they had to use 4 Chargers and 3 Mustangs to complete the sequence. :rolleyes:

100 times? Funny, I would've thought you were a really big fan. :lol:
Heck, that's less than 3 times a year since I first saw it on the big screen. :rofl:

Ezbok58a
07-07-2005, 11:20 PM
Watch the final scene really close and you can see the Charger pass behind the fireball. :D I think that I read somewhere that they had to use 4 Chargers and 3 Mustangs to complete the sequence. :rolleyes:

Heck, that's less than 3 times a year since I first saw it on the big screen. :rofl:
They used 2 of each, 2 chargers and 2 mustangs.

Dirty mary Crazy Larry: They had 2 chase cars in that movie (noone knows cause you really can't buy the movie) a 69-74 Chevy 4 door. and the 69 Dodge Charger.

French Connection was a 70-73 Pontiac LeMans chasing a NY Elevated Train.

Other good chase movies are:
Bourne Supremacy
Vanishing Point (both the original and the TV version)
2 Lane Blacktop
Gone in 60 Seconds (original and the supposed sequal that you can get on dvd with that guys 3rd movie)
BluesBrothers ( can't forget them)
That chase scene in Stakeout
And the chase scene in Short Time.

Go check those movies out:)

Shaft333
07-08-2005, 05:22 AM
Smokey and the Bandit II also sucked because the car featured a turbo 301... :cool:

Ronin had a great car chase.

Mad Max has some great car and bike moments!

Saw parts of Bullitt... before my time is about all I can say. I think Great Escape was a much better McQueen movie.

rocknrod
07-08-2005, 06:42 AM
Did you notice the scene where he ran off the road just after the charger blew up ? The right front wheel collapsed under the mustang when he hit the ditch.
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/67-68/68/bullitt/broken2.jpg

TooManyFords
07-08-2005, 06:49 AM
Haha! I have Bullitt permanently saved in my TiVo. I can just flip to the big chase scene anytime I feel the urge to practice natural selection. I sure wish they'd let us tear up the streets like that for an hour... Way cool!

PS: If you haven't upgraded your TiVo with more/bigger HD's, PM me...

Carry on...

John

SergntMac
07-08-2005, 07:11 AM
While a lot of movies from the 70's were built around a sensational chase sequence, Bullitt is a great movie even without it. Very well done on many fronts, it's memorable Steve Mc Queen.

I recently had an interesting exhange with a 20 something who is scouring the land looking for an original Bullitt Mustang...Hehehe...He thought it was a production Mustang. I've also seen copies for sale in custom shops, one of which bragged to be a "correct" resto of the original production Mustang. Look here...

http://www.classicmusclecars.com/cgi-bin/swrm/det.cgi?id=4411624&bl=m-;;k-bullitt;;nhs-;;status-Sold;;sb-

Here's some interesting follow-up for the real Bullitt Mustang...

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/67-68/68/bullitt/

Bluerauder
07-08-2005, 07:43 AM
I recently had an interesting exhange with a 20 something who is scouring the land looking for an original Bullitt Mustang...Hehehe...
I have one ..... still in the box !!! Of course, its only 1:24 scale !! :rolleyes:

SergntMac
07-08-2005, 07:55 AM
Man-oh-man...What if FMC had stalled the relesase of the Bullitt special edition until the '05 restyling of the Mustang rolled out?

jerrym3
07-12-2005, 07:03 AM
There's rumors of a Mach 1 and a Bullitt model coming based on the new Mustang.

rocknrod
07-12-2005, 08:40 AM
There's rumors of a Mach 1 and a Bullitt model coming based on the new Mustang.That would look nice. The "other" last years model mustang I didn't like at all.
I guess cause of my time growing up I just couldnt get used to the looks of the last model mustang. Okay now flame me:)

modular46
07-13-2005, 03:37 AM

I had Bullit Mustang back in '71. Ouch!! :mad: :bigcry: :cry:

David Morton
06-23-2006, 03:41 PM
It's on AMAX (cinemax) now, came on at 6. Car chase coming up soon!

Vortex
06-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Seen that flick so many times I could play any part. FYI, when I was a kid I built an AMT model of the special camera car they made for the movie, I think it was called the Pirahna or something.