PDA

View Full Version : My first PIT maneuver... sort of.

daddyusmaximus
08-31-2017, 08:23 AM
Well, some idiot came over on me a couple days ago and clipped me with his left rear wheel. Kinda like I did a pit maneuver on him, only he did it to himself.

I'm on the way to a VA appointment, and I'm about to pass a semi. Some idiot in a Jeep Liberty comes flying up in the right lane (behind the semi) trying to pass me... before I could pass the semi. Well, he ran out of room, but he came over anyway. He came over rather quickly too. His left rear tire hit my right front turn signal, and he spun right across in front of me and into the cable barriers in the median.

So the claim adjuster just left the house and he's talking like they may write off the car. WTF? OK, I've learned from here that Marauder parts are getting harder and more expensive to find, but seriously WTF? I was thinking maybe $2,500 or 3 grand. Maybe I'm way off base here.. What do you guys think.

https://i.imgur.com/MTvTY4Jr.jpg

Spectragod
08-31-2017, 08:34 AM
A fender, marker light, maybe a headlamp, and repair the cover.

But, in reality, these days they are totaling everything, a buddy's wife just had her brand new equinox totaled, it was hit in the lr door, lr wheel and bent the rear strut......and deployed all 8 airbags. But, that car had less than 1k miles on it.

My theory......cash for clunkers and high scrap Metal values depleted cars from salvage yards, and the industry is trying to build its inventory back up.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk

ChiTownMaraud3r
08-31-2017, 08:35 AM
Doesn't look bad at all. Don't let them write it off.

Ambitious1
08-31-2017, 09:00 AM
It seems that if the parts are difficult to find or no longer made (like the MM), the insurance companies are writing it off if there is more than one body panel hit. Also, a friend in the insurance business let me know that if any airbags are deployed they are writing it off more and more as a general policy.

You will probably be able to find aftermarket fender, corner turn signal, headlight and front bumper cover easily on eBay, Amazon and other websites. OEM will be near impossible at this point unless you have any in junkyards near you.

Spectragod
08-31-2017, 09:15 AM
OEM fender $350 or so, $300 for lights, repair on the cover and some paint, $1500-$2000ish

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk

CoreyM75
08-31-2017, 09:28 AM
That's not a total. At the worst buy it back and fix it.

Looks like the header panel is damaged, so that adds a one of those to the list Maybe the corner lamp pigtail is damaged, but those are cheap.

daddyusmaximus
08-31-2017, 11:20 AM
I think the guy was just telling me what he tells everybody and I freaked... I just got his e-mail and they will repair it. I'll be dropping it off at the shop in the morning and picking up my rental.

RF Overlord
08-31-2017, 12:25 PM
Glad to hear that. Way too many Marauders end up on Copart...some don't even look as bad as yours.

stevengerard
08-31-2017, 12:38 PM
wow, definitely good to hear, that looks like a "flesh wound'

BAD MERC
08-31-2017, 12:39 PM
Wow - missed all the giblets! That fender is an easy swap for a DIY. You'd be shocked just how easy you can drop the splash shield, hang a fender, and blend the paint. OR..... hang a painted fender because your black looks great.

FordNut
08-31-2017, 02:56 PM
Hopefully the other guy came out even worse. And got a ticket to go along with his stupidity.

justbob
08-31-2017, 03:38 PM
How fast were you going in the hammer lane?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddyusmaximus
09-17-2017, 08:36 PM
OK, I have been driving the Marauder as a daily, because it's all I have. I love it, and I miss it, but I didn't know just how much I'd miss it until she was gone. I get her back Wed and I'm stoked. She'll only be back to her stock self, but it has really made me want to get back to treating her to some nice parts. Hard to do on a budget when you're also building a Jeep, but the bright yellow 2017 Camaro RS rent-a-car (Bumblebee) really handle the curves better.

That sway bar that's been in the garage for over a year I never put on yet... those control arms I never got yet... or the big brakes I never put on yet... they're calling.

Kinda pisses me off how people are fawning over the stupid Camaro too.

Pros.
It handles real nice (a bit stiff).
The steering is real precise, but not overly twitchy. Love the steering. Impressive.
The brakes are just right and there is no nose dive when you stab them.
The seats hold you in place better during spirited driving.
Pretty decent factory stereo.

Cons.
It's so damn ugly.
Seats less comfy on long drives.
There's no room. The entire packaging of the interior is all wrong if you're a big dude. The stupid doors are so damn high you can't drive with your arm on the window, because it's way up higher than your shoulder. If you keep your arm inside the car the door panel hits your shoulder.
Visibility is poor.
Tiny trunk. Well, medium size trunk, but with a tiny trunk opening.
Unusable backseat other than to lay stuff on.
Did I mention how ugly this thing is?

OK, this thing has "sport mode". You can manually shift the 8 speed auto trans with paddle shifters. However, the little V-6 isn't all that impressive, it's so quiet you can't hear it, and the wheel obscures the tach. 8 speeds? To a guy who thinks a 5 speed is top of the line I'm like what the hell do I need 8 gears for anyway? Oh yeah... fuel mileage. Also, the shifts are very weak and mushy. It is a completely useless gimmick that probably added at least 2 grand to the price of the car.

I have to say, I like my 14 year old Marauder better... but now I want to upgrade the suspension a bit.

Gryphonzus
09-18-2017, 03:48 AM
Glad they are getting it fixed I hope they do a good job for you.

daddyusmaximus
09-20-2017, 01:54 PM
Got my baby back today.

I'm so happy... but now she looks funny. I never noticed before, but with a bran new headlight on the passenger side, suddenly the 14 year old driver side light looks very dim and yellow. Stopped by the parts counter on the way out and ordered a drivers side one. They did the repair for $200 less than the insurance estimate, and the headlight is $170 so it's cool. Guy says it will be on the truck tomorrow. Can't beat that.

My passenger HID (came with car) was out too, but the only way they could fix it was to go back to stock, so they put stock headlights back in her. My eyes aren't what they used to be, but I was getting sick of people flashing me anyway. I may want them back when I go to drive at night. They may be expensive, but I'd put in projector lights, if they were plug and play. I just ain't into opening up the housing and doing it myself. Anyone want to build me a set?

Something like this would be perfect...

I am selling the custom HID headlamps I had made for my Marauder as I have sold the car.

These were made buy a guy on another Marauder forum. Build thread. (http://www.motorcitymarauders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12810&page=2) Mine are the ones that start at post #20.

Specs on the parts used:

Morimoto Mini H1 Gen 4.1 Bixenon Projectors
Morimoto 4300k 35W H1 bulbs
Morimoto 3Five 35W ballasts
TRS Heavy Duty 9007 Harness
E46 Extended shrouds + shroud centric rings
New Marauder Headlight housings

This is a plug and play kit. Remove your old housings, install these housings, mount the ballasts and relay, connect your power and ground leads, and plug the connector into the headlight harness on the drivers side. Simple and clean.

I asking $500 obo. I am in Louisville, KY if you want to pick them up, or I can ship them if the buyer is willing to pay the actual cost.

http://i.imgur.com/H2x4RFIh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vPnAgkGh.jpg

My fog lights have never worked since I got the car, so I had them take a look while they had the car... Yep, broken aftermarket HIDs, and stock replacements are over $500. No thanks right now. I could get another set of aftermarket HIDs for much less.

At least the drive home was comfy, and I was able to listen to my wonderful engine. Think I'll clean her out this weekend. Rubber glove the dog hair out and shine her up a bit. I've missed her.

Mr. Man
09-20-2017, 02:10 PM
You ordered a Marauder headlight from Ford? Probably going to be a Marquis light. Mazda MPV and I think MX-5 fog lights from the same era are the same as MM lites and might be more reasonably priced.

BUCKWHEAT
09-20-2017, 05:31 PM
That's not a total. At the worst buy it back and fix it.

Looks like the header panel is damaged, so that adds a one of those to the list Maybe the corner lamp pigtail is damaged, but those are cheap.
The header panel breaks really easily when the side marker takes a hit.

daddyusmaximus
09-20-2017, 06:41 PM
You ordered a Marauder headlight from Ford? Probably going to be a Marquis light. Mazda MPV and I think MX-5 fog lights from the same era are the same as MM lites and might be more reasonably priced.

The new headlight they put on the passenger side looks correct, just shiny. Haven't researched fog lights yet.

stevengerard
09-20-2017, 07:51 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fog-Lights-Pair-Bulb-Mercury-03-04-MARAUDER-03-05-GRAND-MARQUIS-04-07-MONTEREY/272029851872?epid=1449414702&hash=item3f563e20e0%3Ag%3A3y4A AOSw1BlZSLid

daddyusmaximus
09-21-2017, 06:34 AM
Worth a look. Thanks.

sjmarauder408
09-29-2017, 06:39 PM
I had the same damage on mine they cashed me out 3500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk