PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild

MunsterBro95
09-05-2017, 09:00 AM
So just a random question. Was throwing around the idea of doing the coyote swap, but still thinking about just building up the 4.6. Can anyone that built up their motor give me a rough estimate of what it cost and a list of parts needed. And also if you would do it all over again or go with a bigger motor. Sticking with the 4.6 makes it easier, so just weighing my options. Can a 4.6 make/hold power that well. Ideally I would like about 500 hp. Can it be done on a 4.6 out of a marauder and still be reliable? Or do I need a teskid block? And what am I looking at for parts. Thanks again

Ocarr89
09-05-2017, 09:05 AM
So just a random question. Was throwing around the idea of doing the coyote swap, but still thinking about just building up the 4.6. Can anyone that built up their motor give me a rough estimate of what it cost and a list of parts needed. And also if you would do it all over again or go with a bigger motorIm doing a build now alot of guy here gave good advice. But my build is up to 2500. Still not done but a good estimate is about 3400 hopfully. I dnt have to go over.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

RubberCtyRauder
09-05-2017, 09:55 AM
you wont get 500 out of a 4.6 without a power adder. $5-6k for a new short block, $5-6k for blower stuff. if you want new heads, $4k . these are rough estimates, not including any labor and average part costs.

Lowndex
09-05-2017, 10:39 AM
you wont get 500 out of a 4.6 without a power adder. $5-6k for a new short block, $5-6k for blower stuff. if you want new heads, $4k . these are rough estimates, not including any labor and average part costs.

Can I get an AMEN from the choir?

The numbers above are real.

BUCKWHEAT
09-05-2017, 05:18 PM
amen, brother. I would budget $12k to $15k to cover all the beefing up: tranny diff, axles, flex plate, suspension, widened wheels, drive line etc, etc.

FordNut
09-05-2017, 06:59 PM
I thought building big block Fords was expensive. Then I got into the DOHC modular...

Lowndex
09-05-2017, 09:05 PM
I thought building big block Fords was expensive. Then I got into the DOHC modular...

Chasing your 378 rwhp record has cost me a small house!

dohc324ci
09-05-2017, 10:58 PM
Been there done that....just SC your 4.6. 331rwhp and 381tq are the peak numbers out of my my boss stroker setup. Lots of coin just to net that HP NA just not worth it IMO on this platform. LSx motors yeah heads cams tune 500 doable mod motors like boost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

dohc324ci
09-05-2017, 10:59 PM
Chasing your 378 rwhp record has cost me a small house!You doing long tubes? Iirc Fordnut had long tubes when he netted those numbers.

MunsterBro95
09-06-2017, 05:37 AM
Been there done that....just SC your 4.6. 331rwhp and 381tq are the peak numbers out of my my boss stroker setup. Lots of coin just to net that HP NA just not worth it IMO on this platform. LSx motors yeah heads cams tune 500 doable mod motors like boost.

Yea want to rebuild the motor while I am at it. Has high miles and just rather do it all at once and be safe and reliable. just not sure what parts I need. never rebuilt one so unsure as to if there is a parts list so I can start price quoting parts and slowly buying. and can a marauder motor handle the power?

Joe Walsh
09-06-2017, 06:02 AM
Yea want to rebuild the motor while I am at it. Has high miles and just rather do it all at once and be safe and reliable. just not sure what parts I need. never rebuilt one so unsure as to if there is a parts list so I can start price quoting parts and slowly buying. and can a marauder motor handle the power?

OEM blocks are plenty stout...but you can pick up Teksid blocks for $100 in local junkyards.
Common consensus is that the stock rods and pistons are the weak points for high HP builds.
(Also will want to add rear head cooling mod for driver's side head.)

RubberCtyRauder
09-06-2017, 06:05 AM
Marauder motor can handle all sorts of power, it's the internal parts that can not..ie powderedmetal rods and pistons..they are good to around 425 rwhp using a power adder.

Get forged rods, pistons, crank...heads are fine, block is fine..

parts needed are going to depend on budget and goal..if you want 500 hp..then you need to build and budget for a power adder..the higher the hp the more the other parts will need attention..brakes,trans, rear end, suspension..

ByronRACE
09-06-2017, 09:44 AM
What is the consensus of the power limit of the stock crank? Based on my experience, it's over 600rwhp. Perhaps I've had lucky customers.

FordNut
09-06-2017, 03:55 PM
What is the consensus of the power limit of the stock crank? Based on my experience, it's over 600rwhp. Perhaps I've had lucky customers.

way over 600