PDA

View Full Version : Classic / Muscle Car Hobby

crouse
09-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Wanted to get your thoughts on this. Several of my friends (all in our early 50's) think the classic and muscle car hobby is slowly going to decline. We feel that the younger generation doesn't really care about cars in general let alone classic and muscle cars. I grew up working on cars and hoping some day to own a 69 Mustang or 70 Torino Cobra or 63-1/2 Galaxie. I just don't see young adults with this kind of interest. Interested to get you opinion on this.

RubberCtyRauder
09-22-2017, 10:51 AM
they like ricers, vtec etc. imports, drifting etc.

Ambitious1
09-22-2017, 10:56 AM
I have noticed that the trend is going towards the lighter, import market. I only hope that kids today who may be big fans of the new Chargers, Challengers, Camaros and Mustangs remember and start looking for these cars when they get older.

I remember many of the Camaros, Chargers and Mustangs when I was young (the Marauder was also one but when I was already an adult) and wanted one as soon as I could afford it.

In my opinion, there's nothing like brute fast American steel and muscle.

Mr. Man
09-22-2017, 12:39 PM
Same thing happened to the classic collectables when baby boomers decided they would rather spend their money on Superbirds instead of Duesenbergs.

crouse
09-22-2017, 01:01 PM
The other thing to think about are the electric cars like Tesla and the future of self driving cars. That could also contribute to the decline of the muscle car hobby.

marauderrocks51
09-22-2017, 01:15 PM
those are all great points . if I could see into the future I would not have sold my stock for 9.41 after I did it went over 17.00 and as far as deusenbergs I saw one at a car show recently that was for sale for a million two . go figure

TAKEDOWN
09-22-2017, 01:26 PM
OL' Sko0L will NEVER die!!!

Mr. Man
09-22-2017, 01:48 PM
those are all great points . if I could see into the future I would not have sold my stock for 9.41 after I did it went over 17.00 and as far as deusenbergs I saw one at a car show recently that was for sale for a million two . go figure
Not that Duesenbergs will ever be affordable to the average Joe that same car you saw for 1.2 million had the trend continued as it was going in the '80's that car may have been 4 or 5 million today. Interests change, the muscle car collectability will top out at some point as the next generation starts to buy what they wish they could have had/ or had when they were younger.

robertmee
09-22-2017, 01:53 PM
I will say I've noticed that the cruise ins have declined dramtically. Only the cars for coffee events with ricer and newer cars seem to have participation.

RF Overlord
09-22-2017, 02:04 PM
Cars that were ordinary and common in 1970 are now "classics". Cars that are ordinary and common today will be the classics of the Millennials...or whatever the current generation calls themselves...when they turn 50. Pity, because most of today's cars are ugly and sound stupid.

88LTDCV351
09-22-2017, 02:05 PM
I must say that there has been some decline of interest in the newer generations. I hear often of ebay sales of muscle cars that the estate passed on to the kids who didn't want the car.

However, for those younger folks who I know love old school muscle like me, are only turned off by the prices of those selling them.

Interest seems to be more in ricers, BMWs, Lexus, Mercedes, etc.

Themarauderguy
09-22-2017, 02:31 PM
You will always have hot rod fans young and old and there's a lot of young kids who like fast cars Dodge Hellcat Dodge Demon Chevy Exorcist the list goes on and there's a lot of the rice Racers just depends who you talk to as far as Cruz goes and cruising goes the cops are cracking down and passed so many laws and ordinances against it it's hard to have fun with the cars nowadays that's the problem too many laws. Hell I say let him Cruz and have fun while you shut everybody up in the house so they can get hooked on drugs and hanging with that crowd hell nothing wrong with having some good old-fashioned fun and racing long. as long as it's safe of course. I'm not talking about drag racing or illegal racing. Are the old school carbureted hot rods from the 70s as popular amongst youngsters today of course not will that continue to decline I'm sure it will. As far as what the long-term future holds who know. Hell we will probably all be an alien ships by then. Lol

crouse
09-22-2017, 03:47 PM
What percentage of cars sold at auction are bought solely as an investment? When the Ford GT's came out in 2005 & 2006, many were purchased and either never driven or driven very little. 8-10 years later, they are selling at more than double what they were purchased for.

mm svt
09-22-2017, 04:04 PM
The gasser kids are out there, many VW, BMW, Honda early 20s guys have seen Riley's Marauder and are now believers of American muscle. And for some reason they are attracted to the 80s stuff, box style, I actually think that they believe the 80s looks older than some 60s cars just because of the way aerodynamics were thrown out

jsignorelli
09-22-2017, 05:04 PM
My Mustang club took our annual visit with the cars to the MDA camp.
The kids loved the cars.

Their counselors loved the high end radios we put onto the cars.
The newer generation could care less about the car. Does it have WiFi and great Tunes?

Oh Please..............

Joe Walsh
09-22-2017, 05:20 PM
Many of us here at MM.Net grew up driving older 50s, 60s and 70s cars....which have terrible driveability and performance compared to modern cars.
Even the ultimate 'knuckle dragging' Big block Muscle Cars* are not that fast as compared to many modern cars. (*unmodified that is)
Younger drivers grew up driving modern EFI cars that accelerate, corner, brake and get better gas mileage than the old Muscle Cars...
and have far more comfortable interiors with real seats, stereos and HVAC systems.

I can understand their lack of enthusiasm towards older cars.
I think that as we 'older farts' disappear, the Muscle Car market will soften and Hemi Cudas and BOSS 429 Mustangs will lose some value.

Having said that....
I will ALWAYS love the lumpy idle and thumping exhaust of a cammed carburated Big Block American V8!
and don't really care for the European and Japanese cars....no matter how fast they are.

jsignorelli
09-22-2017, 05:39 PM
Well... this old fart installed electronic fuel injection (Edelbrock kit) in his 1970 Boss 302 so it works great, summer and winter, wet and dry days.
Since that worked so well, all of my classics got modern upgrades, especially the suspension.
Just because the car was built 50 years ago, you are not obligated to not improve(modify) it to standards that were not available or possible back then.

Keep the old parts, but swap them out for fun and safety parts.

Joe Walsh
09-22-2017, 05:48 PM
Well... this old fart installed electronic fuel injection (Edelbrock kit) in his 1970 Boss 302 so it works great, summer and winter, wet and dry days.
Since that worked so well, all of my classics got modern upgrades, especially the suspension.
Just because the car was built 50 years ago, you are not obligated to not improve(modify) it to standards that were not available or possible back then.

Keep the old parts, but swap them out for fun and safety parts.

Resto-modding older Muscle Cars is the way to go unless you want a trailered show car.
Most of today's younger car enthusiasts don't know, nor care, about how to work on cars. They just want a thumping stereo, bolt on wings and some kind of 'tune' for the engine....:shake:

jsignorelli
09-22-2017, 05:55 PM
I hear ya.

Radios are the last up-grade, not the first or only modification.

jsignorelli
09-22-2017, 06:00 PM
A friend in my SAAC club recently installed an EFI kit on his Factory Five Cobra. This winter, mine will get the same up-grade.
All five of my Mustangs, my FFR Cobra, my 2010 Fusion Sport, and the '04 Marauder have already had the slotted and cross drilled brake upgrade. I can sleep at night knowing that I can stop during the day.

MyBlackBeasts
09-22-2017, 06:33 PM
In 50 years it will be all gone and the thing of stories.

The EPA, degrading of education and destruction of the American culture has destroyed the auto-minded/gearhead/automotive American love affair.

I lived my entire childhood longing for the day I could drive and have my own car.

When I bought my 1st car it wasn't 30 seconds after getting it home that I had the \hood up and was tearing things apart. Dreaming of ways to change/mod/upgrade/etc to make the thing uniquely my own.

Contrast to now, kids get a car, the stick some fake portholes on it, a stereo and worry more about their cell phone... :shake:

8UWITH6
09-22-2017, 07:53 PM
I am glad there are hybrids and electric cars. I need their fuel. I do not care if people do not like what I like. I like what I like. My son is 9 and he likes what he likes. Once a gear head always a gear head. We make little gear heads..............

Merc390
09-23-2017, 06:16 AM
Not that Duesenbergs will ever be affordable to the average Joe that same car you saw for 1.2 million had the trend continued as it was going in the '80's that car may have been 4 or 5 million today. Interests change, the muscle car collectability will top out at some point as the next generation starts to buy what they wish they could have had/ or had when they were younger.

I agree with this 100%! Ive got a 1967 Fairlane that I'm in the process of restoring, but everything is so damn expensive (plus I kinda screwed myself.....different story) Not saying the Marauder is 100% there yet as a classic. But I remember the Marauder coming out and Ive always wanted one. Even tried tricking my Dad saying it was Just a Grand Marquis, but some how still got a Mustang as my first car. Now I have one and am in the process of restoring it.

Most of my screwed up generation cant afford anything. They dont want to do what it takes or work for what they want. They all want instant gratification. With that said I hope a Boss 429 values comes down I want one!!!!!

Just my .02 Cents

Lowndex
09-23-2017, 09:01 AM
Each generation wants to differentiate itself. "That's Life" - Frank Sinatra

CoreyM75
09-23-2017, 09:36 AM
I am glad there are hybrids and electric cars. I need their fuel. I do not care if people do not like what I like. I like what I like. My son is 9 and he likes what he likes. Once a gear head always a gear head. We make little gear heads..............

My 10 year old son is shaping up to be quite the car lover. I started taking him at 2 years old to car shows, swap meets, even estate sales to help get the love for hunting for parts, tools, etc. He helps on repairs or oil changes.

It is up to the parents to guide children.

jsignorelli
09-23-2017, 10:22 AM
We have had cars for over 100 years.. and people still buy horses. Enough said.

Bondfreak13
09-24-2017, 07:25 PM
Why would any kid be interested In a car like the Marauder, When his 2003 Accord V6 will match a Stock Merc in performance and still get 25mpg city while doing it? Any of the Young guys I talk too don't care about rarity. Modular Mustangs? Why? A V6 Camry is just a fast, has a usable back seat and gets mid 20's MPG city. They are about going fast. Most would never Buy a Marauder, or even know what one is. They would rather get a Charger, an IS 350 F-sport, An STI or an EVO. Brand Names are also important. Caddy? Nope, Lexus. Infinity, Audi. On my last deployment I spoke with many "car guys" while out at sea. out of the Hundreds I spoke to only 2 of them knew what a Marauder was. The B-Body Impala SS is more well known and sought after than our cars. To the younger generation being a car guy isn't the same. They don't know how to think outside the box because they choose popular cars that have performance and a huge aftermarket. Hot Rodding is now remove and replace and no longer remove build something from 3 other cars, install and go fast. Panther owners are the last of the real modern day hot rodders. we don't really have much of an aftermarket so use what we can get our hands on. Heck, My Vic is slow. But I just shut down some kid that thought is Hyundai Veloster Turbo was fast as all hell because it has a "Turbo". I told him a loud exhaust and a blow off valve doesn't make your 16 second car faster. He wasn't happy when he couldn't catch a ragity old "cop car".

robertmee
09-25-2017, 05:02 AM
My 10 year old son is shaping up to be quite the car lover. I started taking him at 2 years old to car shows, swap meets, even estate sales to help get the love for hunting for parts, tools, etc. He helps on repairs or oil changes.

It is up to the parents to guide children.

Same here...my 12 year old is a car nut...he likes to go to shows with me. Plays forza non stop on the xbox. Usually picks a GN to race instead of the flashier bugatti and lambos. His dream car right now is a GTR and he's already telling me what he would modify. However I've found he's the exception to the rule.

MunsterBro95
09-25-2017, 05:35 AM
I am 22 and I appreciate the luxury of newer cars, but still favor old. My dream car is a 1967 Chevelle SS Burgundy with the Black Vinyl top. I have had cars as new as 2012 and as old as 1977, Currently have a 1977 Ford Supercab with the 8 foot box, my 03 SB, and a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. When I get back statside, I am getting a diesel pickup, haven't decided which one yet. Would love a 2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali HD Duramax, but way too expensive right now haha. other than that, I am not getting new for a while. To expensive and difficult to replace things. now once I get older my mind might change, but I don't plan on it. I Love old school more than new.

sailsmen
09-25-2017, 06:12 AM
No interest in anything mechanical. An Auto is solely an object for transportation.

When I interview them I layout the process over 7 years how they can make over $100K per year with no Limit going forward.

They laugh at me! For no effort, responsibility and cost in less then 10 minutes they can fly a Lear Jet, drive a Ferrari and date a Super Model.

Reality cannot compete with VR.

How many people under 30 can change a tire or jump a car with out checking instructions? Answer less than 1%.

robertmee
09-25-2017, 08:41 AM
Damn whippersnappers...I'm seeing some of the same mentality of the younger generation in my work environment. I work all over the country in automation for manufacturing, and while controls have escalated tremendously, there is no support staff to maintain them. 20 somethings idea of tech is sitting on a bean bag chair in Palo alto sipping lattes while coding. Noone wants to work in a dirty manufacturing plant. The only young people taking those jobs are Asians on work visas. Most are supported by old farts like me. Another 10 years when we all retire there will be a huge deficit in support staff just when the technology has increased. Makes my job profitable as a contractor but I fear for our already weakened manufacturing sector. You can't outsource tech support to an India kid overseas. It requires hands on and Noone in the states wants to get dirty anymore.

Bondfreak13
09-25-2017, 11:24 AM
How many under 25 can drive a manual transmission?

tbone
09-25-2017, 11:34 AM
My sons and all their friends were in love with my Marauder growing up, so the pussification of the current generation is not a universal thing. But it IS a problem...

My step son became a mechanic and works at a Ford dealership in Denver. My son bought a 2015 Challenger R/T and survived college without becoming a liberal. So there it is.

Spectragod
09-25-2017, 12:01 PM
they like video games, subwoofers, imports, living in parents basement till 36, being unemployed, disrespecting the U.S. flag, etc.

***FIXED***