PDA

View Full Version : 1987 5.0 Ford Mustang vs. 2003 Mercury Marauder

KraziKid
06-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Which would win? My stomach and everything else tells me my 2003 MM would beat it, but this kid in my school who thinks he is all that thinks his car is invincible. Everyone I talk to agrees with me that the kid is full of ****. The car may have headers and an exhaust, but the kid is dirt poor, so I doubt it has that (even though he claims it does). So what do you all think, would I smoke him? I know the 87 5.0 had a factory ~7 second 0-60, while our cars do that in about 6.5.

Dr Caleb
06-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Only one way to know for sure. Go to your local track and find out!

Fourth Horseman
06-04-2004, 01:20 PM
And make sure you both agree that the loser buys the beers, err.... you're 17? ... the dews after the race so you'll really have a chance to rub it in.
:rock:

CRUZTAKER
06-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Nicely stated...go to a legal track on a test and tune night.

Last week I watched two friends, one w/03 marauder, one w/04 Mach-1 finally settle their fun hearted word tossing over the last few weeks. Both stock.

The marauder took the Mach every time by a second or better. But the Mach looks soooo cool with the shaker hood.;)

stevengerard
06-04-2004, 01:29 PM
The marauder took the Mach every time by a second or better. But the Mach looks soooo cool with the shaker hood.

Wow, really, I wouldn't have guessed that, thought it would be closer if not the other way. That's really cool, I like both cars anyway.

TripleTransAm
06-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Depends on the 5.0, I guess... Is it a stick? Is it a GT? How loaded? etc.

Bowman9
06-04-2004, 02:34 PM
I just sold off my 1990 5.0 lx mustang, and I would have to say that the Mustang would beat my 2003 Marauder.
The mustang has better lowend torque and shiftpoints. And is lighter.

As for a stock Marauder beating a stock Mach 1, I find that a little hard to believe. The horse power are about equal but the Mach 1 is a lighter car.

woaface
06-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Damn that sucks....I have to wait till I'm 18 to play.

MarauderMark
06-04-2004, 03:48 PM
I sure would be interested in the out come of this story.Please keep us posted :rock:

grzellmer
06-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Owned an 89 Mustang GT with a 5-speed.

The quarter mile is all about torque off the line. The GT
would stomp the MM off the line (especially with a 5-speed.)

The MM begins to catch up as they run down the 1/4 but
I believe not in time to catch the GT. If the Mustang has
been maintained at all, I think wins.

TripleTransAm
06-04-2004, 08:12 PM
I just sold off my 1990 5.0 lx mustang, and I would have to say that the Mustang would beat my 2003 Marauder.
The mustang has better lowend torque and shiftpoints. And is lighter.

Hence why I asked about the GT part...
Knowing my GTA once belted out a 15.6 in the quarter, I know first hand that a stick 5.0 LX notchback would obliterate that car in a street duel. The auto LXs, it all depended on the driver as to how badly it could be my GTA but it was less of a massacre than with a stick LX. The stick GT... wow, that was a little easier with the occasional win here and there, whereas the auto GTs were easy fodder (at least around my parents' place).

These were stoplight to stoplight runs, of course. The GTA got kind of wheezy at high RPM (long intake runners) so with more of a distance, I'm sure the lighter Mustang would end up seeing more wins regardless of body style and transmission against my car.

Now, considering that my Marauder has run anywhere from 15.06 during break-in to a cold-night best of 14.6s, using the above info you can put forth your best educated guess.

CRUZTAKER
06-04-2004, 08:53 PM
As for a stock Marauder beating a stock Mach 1, I find that a little hard to believe. The horse power are about equal but the Mach 1 is a lighter car.Yup, it was wierd. But I have nothing to gain by making up stories. Mike and Mark are both 'Buckeye Marauders" and both live but 15 minutes from me. They brought both cars to the Eastern Annual meet and talked smack all day.

Niether car has more than 2000 miles, and I really didn't know what to expect the following week at DRAGWAY42. The Mach is manual, and of course the DTR Marauder is an auto.

I noticed on their first run, which was a riot as neither have ever track raced, and both pulled up some 15 feet beyond the tree!!!, that the DTR spun the wheels on launch. Mark in the Mach needed some time working on his first gear launch as well. I'm guessing the first run was like 15.2 DTR to 16.1 MACH.

In the next 3 runs they had it figured out. Mark set the Machs tires to 25lbs, but I was unable to get Mike in the DTR to do so, and he consistantly layed 10 foot of rubber on every launch. The MACH pulled away on the launch every time now, but about the time he would shift to 2, the DTR roared by every time.

Iam guessing again, but I remember their times consistantly stayed the same for both drivers and on the last run after a lenghtly cool down, the brand new DTR actually ran 14.996. Impressive. The Mach never finished better than 15.4.

Yeah sure, probably the driver....but that's the way it went down between two friends all evening. Niether wanted to pair with me.:(

My only loss that evening in the street class was to a turbocharged Couger running Hoosier slicks and he ran 12.7's all night. No biggie, I knew him as well.:up:

Constable
06-04-2004, 11:45 PM
#1 - The Stang vs. Rauder question is tight... but that's considering that the Stang is in showroom condition and basically stock. It's an 87, so that means it's still a speed density car (yuk). I'm sure it's beat to hell given the short description of the driver. I'd say the Rauder would take it IF there's a good driver behind the wheel.

#2 - I don't doubt your story Barry, but I will say this: The Mach 1 driver REALLY has to learn how to move that car. ABSOLUTELY BONE STOCK Mach's are turning 13.20's to 13.40's here in NJ. Factory rubber and everything. MM&FF has also posted awesome times with Machs... I think they clicked off a 13.15 with a stock '03. You gotta school that friend of yours! Teach him how to race!

MENINBLK
06-05-2004, 02:00 AM
Nicely stated...go to a legal track on a test and tune night.
Last week I watched two friends, one w/03 marauder, one w/04 Mach-1 finally settle their fun hearted word tossing over the last few weeks. Both stock.
The Marauder took the Mach every time by a second or better. But the Mach looks soooo cool with the shaker hood.;)

If this is correct, then I know someone who has a Mach 1 and I need to open a can of whoop a$$ on it !!!

studio460
06-05-2004, 02:01 AM
The Marauder took the Mach I every time by a second or better.
Why would the Marauder beat the Mach I? Both have the DOHC 4.6, but the Mach I weighs a lot less!

MENINBLK
06-05-2004, 02:14 AM
Why would the Marauder beat the Mach I? Both have the DOHC 4.6, but the Mach I weighs a lot less!

Only by about 500 lbs...

gpfarrell
06-05-2004, 07:07 AM
I think it's too vague to call.

If the 5.0 is an auto, it'll auto-matically lose.

If it's a 5-speed, but the guy can't drive it any better than that 16.1 Mach 1 driver, I think he'll still lose.

But if he can drive it... and it's got anything better than 2.73 gears and the factory cats, the 5.0 should beat the MM for at least the first 70 mph.

Like they said above, it's all about torque, and those 5.0's had it.

If you start the race at 70 though, the MM will make that pony look lame.

Line 'em up & let us know!

CRUZTAKER
06-05-2004, 07:39 AM
You folks MUST be right....I used to drive a stick....next time at the track I'll see if Mark will let ME give it a run down the 1320. Something funny about that whole thing.

Thanks for the hard numbers though...now I know if I line up with one, I better do everything just right.

I am excited to see what times I pull with the PI T/C and wider slicks....mmmm?

THE_INTERCEPTOR
06-05-2004, 03:15 PM

The marauder took the Mach every time by a second or better. But the Mach looks soooo cool with the shaker hood.;)

Not that I am in a position to question that, as I know nothing about cars really, but are you SURE that Marauder that beat the Mach1 was bone stock?! I find that kinda hard to believe...

TripleTransAm
06-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Not that I am in a position to question that, as I know nothing about cars really, but are you SURE that Marauder that beat the Mach1 was bone stock?! I find that kinda hard to believe...

Barry mentioned the MM managed a 14.996 at one point, with very low miles.

With more miles than that, my fat pig pulled a 15.06 albeit in the hot humid July air. So with more conscientious break-in mileage, I suspect that Marauder might be pulling mid 14s or better by the time the cold Fall air comes in.

CRUZTAKER
06-05-2004, 06:07 PM
It was 53 degrees that night...cold front rolled in earlier, everyone was freezing their arses off. Not the cars though!

And yes, the car is unmodded, it brand new!!!

TripleTransAm
06-05-2004, 06:11 PM
It was 53 degrees that night...cold front rolled in earlier, everyone was freezing their arses off.

53 degrees = freezing arses off? :lol:

Amateurs... ;)

sailsmen
06-06-2004, 05:59 PM
A manual requires a skilled driver. Mach I manuals will consistantly run low 13.0's. I saw one run 12.9. IT was the same nite I ran a 14.2 w/ chip, gears and ud.

There is no way to tell if a driver is skilled in a manual until you see them drive it!

ParkRanger
06-06-2004, 09:45 PM
I had a '86 Mustang 5.0 stock which was VERY fast. However, my current '03 MM with mods would just kill it. Not even close.

Take him - no problem. :D

PR :up:

cyclone03
06-07-2004, 07:19 AM
Not the same car but...
I bought an 85 Mustang LX5.0 5spd new in 85.It's purpose was to have AC and race! In 2 years made over 500 passes!
When it was stock it ran 15.30's all day long.

When my Marauder was stock it ran 15.30's all day long...

The 87's when stock,at least the one I ran against ran 15.10's,now 17 years after it rolled off the line whats the chance it has less than 100,000 miles?And is STOCK!

Run the race,what the heck,see what happens.

mrjones
06-07-2004, 09:36 AM
I know the 87 5.0 had a factory ~7 second 0-60, while our cars do that in about 6.5.[/QUOTE]

This is a question I've been axting myself for a while. At least since I bought my 03MM earlier this year. I've also got an 89 LX convertible that's all stock except for 3.73 gears, with 125K on it. I'm sure that with the 5speed, the LX would leave the MM behind from a dead stop, but I feel like by the end of the 1/4, the MM would be catching it, if not ahead.

I've been trying to get my brother to come over so we could take both cars to the track, but haven't made it happen yet. When I do, I'll report back to the group.