PDA

View Full Version : mildly interesting: Saw a GM with a black grill

the fat bastid
12-15-2017, 04:26 PM
Saw this GM for sale that has a black grill. Not sure if that is some special edition someone may care about or someone just slapped a black grill on their car.

Enjoy!

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47 109&stc=1&d=1513380358

Svashtar
12-15-2017, 07:34 PM
Maybe the guy selling it (or was it on a lot?) had or bought a GM with a busted grill and pulled this MM one out of a parts bin somewhere.

Years ago I bought a used Taurus fleet car for my son, and I’ll bet it had a half dozen different parts from other Fords and a Mercury Sable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoreyM75
12-15-2017, 08:28 PM
I did the same thing to my 98 Grand Marquis HPP in 2003 when the Marauder came out. Except I painted a 98 grille since the Marauder grille didn't fit. I bought a nib Marauder grille back then but I returned it when it wouldn't fit on my header panel. Should have kept it since they are worth more now than back in 03.

The car pictured is a LS with a black grille. Not special except that the grille is worth 200.00.

a_d_a_m
12-15-2017, 09:34 PM
There is a guy near my house who has a black grille on his '03-05 MGM. I caught him in traffic one day and he said he'd purchased a Marauder grille when the Marauder was still in production and slapped it on.

Additionally, a fellow from Wisconsin named Tom (who I'd met at a 2V meet near Grand Rapids) has the same thing but in his case, I recall his being painted.

crownvic97
12-16-2017, 12:19 AM
I think the 06+ GMQ looks great with a body color grille as well.

It’s crazy how just the grille makes it look so much more like a Marauder.

the fat bastid
12-16-2017, 12:39 AM
would you guys bother getting an after market grill if your oem one broke off only the bump stops on both sides?
It doesn't seem to flex that much without them but i hear the brokeness at night when I sleep...."its not perfect" it whispers...

crownvic97
12-16-2017, 02:07 AM
would you guys bother getting an after market grill if your oem one broke off only the bump stops on both sides?
It doesn't seem to flex that much without them but i hear the brokeness at night when I sleep...."its not perfect" it whispers...

If it bothers you, certainly. If it was my car, I wouldn’t, because I have a long list of other items that require fixing first :o

sailsmen
12-16-2017, 05:44 AM
Here's the cure, I know, look closely in the mirror and you will see so many "imperfections" you won't think about this one any more!;)

Blk Mamba
12-16-2017, 06:02 AM
There is a guy near my house who has a black grille on his '03-05 MGM. I caught him in traffic one day and he said he'd purchased a Marauder grille when the Marauder was still in production and slapped it on.

Additionally, a fellow from Wisconsin named Tom (who I'd met at a 2V meet near Grand Rapids) has the same thing but in his case, I recall his being painted.

An old guy that lives on Concord RD. out near 44.

stevengerard
12-16-2017, 08:47 AM
I have both an OEM and and aftermarket grill, had them both on the car - I can't tell the difference. Sure maybe in your hands you can tell but on the car - no.

justbob
12-16-2017, 10:41 AM
I have both an OEM and and aftermarket grill, had them both on the car - I can't tell the difference. Sure maybe in your hands you can tell but on the car - no.

The imperfections on my aftermarket grille are so minimal that I could care less. In fact I prefer the aftermarket one as it is WAY more flexible if it were to take a small hit.

I’ve bought a few from Certifit for making badgeless ones. I’ve only noticed one not up to my liking but that was a paint issue. Luckily I’m local to them so I can inspect first.

The other reason I prefer it is money! The last two I bought were about four years ago and they were only $52 each!

stevengerard
12-16-2017, 11:42 AM
Exactly, and I too go in person as well.

The imperfections on my aftermarket grille are so minimal that I could care less. In fact I prefer the aftermarket one as it is WAY more flexible if it were to take a small hit.

I’ve bought a few from Certifit for making badgeless ones. I’ve only noticed one not up to my liking but that was a paint issue. Luckily I’m local to them so I can inspect first.

The other reason I prefer it is money! The last two I bought were about four years ago and they were only $52 each!

Turbov6Bryan
12-16-2017, 02:56 PM
I have a eBay grille on mine. Fits great, looks great.

I've noticed a few oem ones are warping on a lot of MM

tobiasg1995
12-16-2017, 03:14 PM
This is my 06. Found one at the pick n pull that was in decent shape, put my perfect one up in storage. Roughed up the center and rattle canned it.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171216/ac33545fa07ad4a4fa1789293647d0 97.jpg

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Bad_S55
12-17-2017, 09:09 AM
That's how my car is currently sitting is with a black grill. Been through a few different ones between full chrome, chrome with black bars, painted chrome, and a few black. The body color grill totally changes the look of the car.

Svashtar
12-17-2017, 08:23 PM
I need to do something with my 2005 Zack chrome grill. The chrome bars look fine, but the surround looks like hell as the paint didn’t stick well to the chrome.

I’m thinking of having a guy I know cerakote it. He’s done a couple rifles for me and they’ve turned out great. I could get the black pretty close to the body color.

For that matter, maybe I’ll cerakote the whole thing, making it the most expensive MM grill in history.

The grill just looks better black, unfortunately I no longer have the OEM grill.

RubberCtyRauder
12-17-2017, 08:37 PM
soda blast it and repaint or buy an aftermarket grille and paint.