PDA

View Full Version : Got to drive a 300C Today

bigslim
06-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Well I finally got to drive a 300C today. First off let me start by saying that the 300C is a nice car. It has a lot of nice creature-features that our cars don't. It kind of put me in the mind of my LS I had. Loaded with luxury, short on sport. First off, the start up was not iimpressive. It didn't have that get "I mean business roar. I rev'd the engine and it still did nothing for me. The first thing I did was turn off the ESP. By turning this off it shut off the traction and "yaw" control. I made my way out unto the road and stopped. I stumped the pedal and the rear tires came to life. Let me say that " You Can Burn The Tires From a Dead Stop". As long as the ESP is turned off you can roast the tires form a dead stop. This did get me a little more excited. I then made a right turn and hit it in the middle of the turn. The car reacted great. It never let me loose control of it. This car is actually kind of fun to drive. It handled pretty good. Not as firm as our cars but pretty good. It is truely marketed as a fast luxury car and not a sport sedan. I did miss the growl and the throw back in the seat hit of second gear. Overall this car is quick and a decent handler. If people are looking for a plush, fast car that is not too costly this is a perfect fit. If you want attitude and sportiness in your car the MM is the way to go. By the way, I let the salesman drive my car and he liked the roar and the hit of second gear. He said that this was first time he had driven a MM and was impressed for a over 4200 pd car.

SouLRioT
06-07-2004, 12:30 PM
I went to a chrylser dealer with a freind that was looking at jeeps and others stuff. Saw a 300C V6 looked it over i noted the clean looking intrument panel, when a salesman came buy I asked him about the V8 one and he started talking down it, I figured that they didnt have one. I looked alright inside but no charecter to it.

2003 MIB
06-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Well I finally got to drive a 300C today. First off let me start by saying that the 300C is a nice car. It has a lot of nice creature-features that our cars don't. It kind of put me in the mind of my LS I had. Loaded with luxury, short on sport. First off, the start up was not iimpressive. It didn't have that get "I mean business roar. I rev'd the engine and it still did nothing for me. The first thing I did was turn off the ESP. By turning this off it shut off the traction and "yaw" control. I made my way out unto the road and stopped. I stumped the pedal and the rear tires came to life. Let me say that " You Can Burn The Tires From a Dead Stop". As long as the ESP is turned off you can roast the tires form a dead stop. This did get me a little more excited. I then made a right turn and hit it in the middle of the turn. The car reacted great. It never let me loose control of it. This car is actually kind of fun to drive. It handled pretty good. Not as firm as our cars but pretty good. It is truely marketed as a fast luxury car and not a sport sedan. I did miss the growl and the throw back in the seat hit of second gear. Overall this car is quick and a decent handler. If people are looking for a plush, fast car that is not too costly this is a perfect fit. If you want attitude and sportiness in your car the MM is the way to go. By the way, I let the salesman drive my car and he liked the roar and the hit of second gear. He said that this was first time he had driven a MM and was impressed for a over 4200 pd car.

I'm assuming you drove the Hemi version...

dwasson
06-07-2004, 12:45 PM
...and, being inside it you don't have to look at it. :shot:

woaface
06-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Here's what I've settled on here. The 300C is not as ugly in person, but the original picture designs were awesome. The interior is too cheapy looking even if it's not cheap. It is well optioned but the front end just doesn't look right...too droopy and "er, uh, duh" lookin. That being said:

The 300C is meant to be one thing and the Marauder another. They can compete if you compare size and price, but buyers of 300Cs won't be buying a Marauder for the same reason. You want a good comparrison? Get a 300C and the new Acura RL coming this fall (that thing is georgious) or BMW 5 series.

Now if it were MY money to spend and I had to choose something in that price range I'd take a Marauder because the definition and design of the 300C don't do it for me. It's all on what you want to look like. Do you want to be Jekyl or Hyde on Friday night? Or, at least that's how I see it.

Anywho, I'd rather see a 300C and a Marauder in the same driveway then a Marauder and an RL or 300C and 5 series bimmer.

merc406
06-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Bigslim, it didn't make you feel like you were driving a tank, with those high sides and low roof?

It looks kinda like a WWll vehicle made in Germany.

bigslim
06-07-2004, 07:37 PM
Actually, it was comfortable. Being inside the windows don't feel so small. Like I said earlier, it reminded me of my old LS. The engine in it is sweet. I just wish it was tuned more for a sport sound. I'm sure when the SRT-8 version of it comes out early next year it will be tuned for a more sporty ride and sound. After all it is suppose to have 425 hp. Just think, if you can roast the tires now with 340 hp just think what 425 hp will do. I hope someone at Ford reads these postings.

mrogerc
06-07-2004, 07:49 PM
As another ex-LS owner, I can see why you liked the 300C. From all angles except the front it is a fine looking car. From the front, the phrase "gaping maw" leaps to mind.

I traded my LS for a MM, and am glad I did!

RCSignals
06-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Bigslim,
I then made a right turn and hit it in the middle of the turn. The car reacted great. It never let me loose control of it.

you may have felt that, because from everything I've read, you essentially cannot turn off ESC. The computer will automatically re-activate stability control, and traction control, when you pass certain parameters. Same with the self-shift mode. It will only allow it under mild driving conditions, Push it beyond a certain point and the computer will activate automatic shifting.

Fourth Horseman
06-08-2004, 08:31 AM
First off, the start up was not iimpressive. It didn't have that get "I mean business roar. I rev'd the engine and it still did nothing for me.

I'm sure you could cut the stock mufflers off and put something more aggressive on for a better exhaust sound. I'm assuming the car has a true dual exhaust? Cross-over at all?

stevengerard
06-08-2004, 09:40 AM
You should see all the billboards here in Chicago for the 300C. They are really pushing it. Its growing on me, I'll have to test one, but I'll keep the MM don't worry.

RCSignals
06-08-2004, 08:37 PM
You should see all the billboards here in Chicago for the 300C. They are really pushing it. Its growing on me, I'll have to test one,
Ah the power of advertising.......Ford new about that kind of advertising in '64 when they indroduced the Mustang.....wonder what's happened?