PDA

View Full Version : SW1380

Invective
04-18-2018, 01:43 PM
Truly incredible. I doubt there are many who haven't heard about this. Uncontained engine explosion on a 737-700 in flight. One fatality. Plane landed safely otherwise at Philly.

Admiring the pilots for safely landing the plane and performing a bit of 'customer service' as passengers deplaned on the runway. Plane had just taken off from LaGuardia. I flew almost weekly for my previous employer before retiring last year.

Gerry24
04-18-2018, 03:37 PM
She flew Navy fighter jets before flying commercial. Badass!!

TrilogyMarauder
04-18-2018, 03:42 PM
That's one of the reasons I won't fly. Don't wanna be in a tin can 20,000 feet up doing 500 mph. And on top of that ya gotta breathe the same air as all those other people..gross! :eek::help::run:

a_d_a_m
04-18-2018, 05:29 PM
That lady pilot did a f'n fantastic job coordinating that landing. All souls on board owe their life to her. Did you hear how calm she was on the radio?

Invective
04-18-2018, 10:13 PM
I failed to add this previously.

Tammie Jo Shults is married to a fellow SW pilot and they have two children together:

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/tammie-jo-shults-pilot-southwest-flight-1380-engine-hero/

1Marauder
04-18-2018, 11:17 PM
Yes She is a Bad Ass pilot, and her calm voice was amazing.

Having logged a well over a million air miles... I never like to sit the three rows next to the engine and slightly behind.

I have been in two "runway incursion" experiences that I know of (many more "up and around," had to fly through an AZ wind/sand storm, had a DC 10 dump a solid gallon of moisture from inside the ceiling onto the big Danish lady sitting next to me, had smoke in the cabin, had a few people arrested from being drunk or stupid or both, helped restrain a person, flown with someone more than a few heart attack in flight folks, blown an ear drum in flight, fairly sure we had a passenger pass away in flight, and achived weightlessness three different times on three different planes... and flow on a maiden flight (brand new aircraft) on Alaska where the wing "transom" wobbled so much so that I notified the flight attendant, who asked me to up talk with pilot. After that flight the pilot asked me to stay a few minutes and walk both pilots, a tech, and the ground crew around and under the plane and explain exactly what I saw....

In all of these flights, and all of these miles, and all of these different situations, only three times have I witnessed a flight attendant behave completely incorrectly/wrong... and never once have I seen a pilot behave anything professionally.

I flew alone every year, even when I was a 7 year old kid... People used to dress up to fly, and everyone used to clap in appreciation after every landing.

TrilogyMarauder
04-19-2018, 02:49 AM
Having logged a well over a million air miles... three times have I witnessed a flight attendant behave completely incorrectly/wrong..... and never once have I seen a pilot behave anything professionally.

That's not good!

Bondfreak13
04-19-2018, 07:03 PM
She Flew for VAQ-34 Out of Point Mugu, CA. That's the Patch on her Flight suit anyway. VAQ Squadrons fly EA-18G Growlers. It's a Modified F/A-18 outfitted for electronic warfare.

tbone
04-20-2018, 07:23 AM
I was on a fully/heavily loaded plane and noticed the flaps weren't down on takeoff, which scared the crap out of me. About halfway down the runway the dimwits finally put the flaps down and we were off. Whew.....

Invective
04-20-2018, 08:47 AM
I was on a fully/heavily loaded plane and noticed the flaps weren't down on takeoff, which scared the crap out of me. About halfway down the runway the dimwits finally put the flaps down and we were off. Whew.....

Recalling The Air Florida jet that crashed into the Potomac River during a winter storm in 1982....incredibly sad and pathetic.

tbone
04-20-2018, 12:30 PM
And the one in Detroit where they clipped a light pole and crashed into a street bridge. Flaps are overrated....

Invective
05-13-2018, 06:41 AM
And the one in Detroit where they clipped a light pole and crashed into a street bridge. Flaps are overrated....

"However, aviation sources indicated that a "no-flaps" takeoff would normally be attempted only on extremely long runways with a relatively light load."

From 31 years ago but instances since of 'no flaps' take offs with fatal consequences.

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-08-20/news/mn-3661_1_preflight-check

RF Overlord
05-13-2018, 01:03 PM
and everyone used to clap in appreciation after every landing.I remember that...nowadays they're all on their cell phones the second the wheels touch the ground.

justbob
05-13-2018, 06:55 PM
About half clapped on our last trip to Orlando. Of course, the other half looked confused..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk