PDA

View Full Version : PHOTOS: Trail of destruction left behind by lava on Hawaii Island

Invective
05-07-2018, 03:42 AM
Truly incredible - hard for me to grasp. A known volcanic area unfortunately.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/38101099/photos-big-island-braces-for-possible-kilauea-eruption-as-quakes-continue

Local Boy
05-07-2018, 03:07 PM
Yup! Mother nature is a central part of our lives and culture...

Living in Hawaii has it's down sides...

Aloha

Invective
05-08-2018, 04:54 AM
Yup! Mother nature is a central part of our lives and culture...

Living in Hawaii has it's down sides...

Aloha

Do you live on the Big Island? If so, has this affected you directly?

1Marauder
05-08-2018, 07:43 AM
I watched a news program where a resident said she woke up the other day and found her year was "steaming..." She didn't think much of it. From what I understand, the lave simply came up through the ground in a "vent," (not from what we would think of as a normal cone--this is how cones are made) smack dab in the middle their neighborhood. It simply flows where it flows, complete destruction.

Local Boy
05-08-2018, 11:31 AM
Do you live on the Big Island? If so, has this affected you directly?
----------------------------------------------------
I'm born and raised on O'ahu... and have family on the Big Island as well as Maui and Kauai.
My brother-in-law's home is @ 4 miles from the fissure and @ 2 miles from the flow....
That area is beautifully lush with native plants and one of the few areas where land prices are relatively low (Hawaii standards) due to the risks of living on the slope of an active volcano. Everyone living there accepts the (volcano) risk in order to become a home/land owner. Land/home prices here in the islands are astronomical :eek:...most, if not all, could not afford to purchase anywhere else on the island.
People who live there are unique in that they don't get too excited when they see steam venting up through there yard... :bows: It freaks me out, but no biggie to them... It's a quiet place to get away from the city rat race... and the people there are cool and relaxed... :beer:
Aloha

Marauderjack
05-08-2018, 02:36 PM
Can you insure your property against VOLCANO DAMAGE??:confused:

Local Boy
05-08-2018, 02:51 PM
Can you insure your property against VOLCANO DAMAGE??:confused:

Yes, but it is cost prohibitive...

People purchase homes in this location because of the low cost (relatively speaking)...of the land...

Aloha

Marauderjack
05-09-2018, 04:28 AM
What does an average size house in the "Volcano Zone" sell for.....just curious??:confused:

Local Boy
05-09-2018, 11:56 AM
Not sure... I think around 60 - 80 K * higher up the slope... ** It gets more expensive as you move toward the ocean...

For the most part...there is really no infrastructure there...no running water, electricity in some areas, some roads are paved others are gravel...

I think the median home price on the Big Island is around $580 K (* Not in the volcano area)

For comparison...the median home price for O'ahu is $760 K

Aloha