PDA

View Full Version : Ford F-150-- Which Motor is best?

1Marauder
05-26-2018, 11:33 AM
Looking at NEW F150s.

Which motor do you guys like, and why?

crownvic97
05-26-2018, 11:37 AM
Looking new?

1Marauder
05-26-2018, 11:40 AM
Sorry, yes new.

gdsqdcr
05-26-2018, 11:55 AM
I absolutely love my 3.5 eco. I have a ‘15 crew lariat fx4 and all the extra crap you don’t need. Have almost 50K on it, towed approximately 4K miles of that, in 4wd 2-3 times a month and I commute with it through San Francisco 4 Days a week. My lifetime average is 15.6mpg.

Beside the sunroof rattle and a tsb for the IWE, no issuesz.

Joe Walsh
05-26-2018, 12:11 PM
I'm looking at an '18 F150 STX.
Can't stand the f*ggly new grille style...looks like FORD copied the ugly crap GM was doing years ago.
A HUGE chrome strip across the grille extending into the headlights....:puke:
STX model is the only F150 with a decent looking grille/front end styling.
I'll get the 2.7L Ecoboost....
It's "the little V6 that could"! 400 ft-lbs of Torque and a sweet 10 speed auto.
Don't need the big boy 3.5L Ecoboost...not too good on MPG.
5.0 Coyote is a great engine, but I'll put one of those in my '85 GT Mustang when FRPP has the 460 HP D.I. crate motor available.

Mr. Man
05-26-2018, 01:13 PM
I'd get the 5.0. Marginally less gas mileage. Lots of aftermarket if you were so inclined. Probably cheaper to repair and best of all you won't feel you are in a flight episode of Ba Ba Black Sheep while driving it.

Spectragod
05-26-2018, 01:26 PM
I have a 13 and a 15, both with 5.0’s, it pays roughly 22 hours to puts a water pump in one of those little v6’s, since it’s on the snout of the crank.

My 4x4 gets 16.6 combined fuel economy and my 2wd gets 20.1. And they don’t sound like a crappy 6 banger, just my 5.0 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdmjoe
05-26-2018, 04:37 PM
2011 FX4 super cab, 5.0L -details- (http://www.gdmjoe.com/gothf150/www/m-gothf1502011.html) ««« -click-

purchased *new* Oct'2011.
winter beater
6,487+lbs
3.73RAR
16-18MPG city / 22-24MPG highway
*BEST MPG todate - 26.4
*WORST MPG todate - 14.9 (winter, short drives)
best test-and-tune ¼mile time - 14.9sec *no performance mod's

Most recent pic'

http://www.gdmjoe.com/gothf150/pictures/20170709/recent-pic.jpg

Marauderman
05-26-2018, 05:11 PM
I absolutely love my 3.5 eco. I have a ‘15 crew lariat fx4 and all the extra crap you don’t need. Have almost 50K on it, towed approximately 4K miles of that, in 4wd 2-3 times a month and I commute with it through San Francisco 4 Days a week. My lifetime average is 15.6mpg.

Beside the sunroof rattle and a tsb for the IWE, no issuesz.

Similarly Like above^^^^^^-- I have a 2012 3.5 Eco boost Kingranch with all the goodies available then and love it --It is a 6 speed auto which seems perfect for me--Have towed about 2800 of the 20K miles thus far and engine is super.
It also has the 373 rear gears and with the 420 TQ is very strong and have NO problem out running in a hurry anything nearby to stay out of trouble.

The newer versions may be tweaked a bit more but basically same engine.

I would go with the Eco boost-my vote

And BTW--my Vic Sport is for sale on autotrader along with '96 T-Bird

TooManyFords
05-26-2018, 05:39 PM
I would do the 5.0 coyote as well.

Catfish
05-26-2018, 05:45 PM
The 3.0 Powerstroke looks nice. Think I read 30 MPGs hwy. Not sure I'd buy it first model year though.

1Marauder
05-26-2018, 06:40 PM
I'm looking at an '18 F150 STX.
Can't stand the f*ggly new grille style...looks like FORD copied the ugly crap GM was doing years ago.
A HUGE chrome strip across the grille extending into the headlights....:puke:
STX model is the only F150 with decent looking grille.
I'll get the 2.7L Ecoboost....
It's "the little V6 that could"! 400 ft-lbs of Torque and a sweet 10 speed auto.
Don't need the big boy 3.5L Ecoboost...not too good on MPG.
5.0 Coyote is a great engine, but I'll put one if those in my '85 GT Mustang when FRPP has the 460 HP D.I. crate motor available.

Agree 1000% on the ugly grill, and that the STX is the best looking front end.

Lease now only $219 per month, 24 months! Only $1900 down Option to buy at 2.9% afterward.

MyBlackBeasts
05-26-2018, 08:25 PM
5.0 for me.

What I can't figure out is with all the tech improvements for fuel mileage (just look at the MM, it is amazing to me that it gets 22/24mpg) what happened with the F150???

My 1999 F150 gets 15/17mpg and here we are 20 years later and the mpg is the same!?!

Invective
05-26-2018, 08:55 PM
Can the 5.0 be had with the XL model or a basic XLT? The high end trucks (not just Ford) have way too much 'glitz' for my taste. Recalling when loaded XLTs and Silverados were basic trucks compared to the 'palaces' of today. Heck, the 'Big 3' had tasteful, upscale pickups back in the mid '50s - the Chevrolet Cameo immediately comes too mind...

Marauderman
05-27-2018, 06:18 AM
Can the 5.0 be had with the XL model or a basic XLT? The high end trucks (not just Ford) have way too much 'glitz' for my taste. Recalling when loaded XLTs and Silverados were basic trucks compared to the 'palaces' of today. Heck, the 'Big 3' had tasteful, upscale pickups back in the mid '50s - the Chevrolet Cameo immediately comes too mind...

I believe Ford Dealer will let you order (build) a 150 anyway you want
it ordered --A Dealer once told me that Ford has a gazillion ways to put together a 150--so order it anyway you want----always wondered about that...............could go ask I suppose................

gdmjoe
05-27-2018, 07:30 AM
Invective - Can the 5.0 be had with the XL model or a basic XLT? ...
Yes it is an option in both.

Marauderjack
05-27-2018, 08:19 AM
ALL TRUCKS NEED A V-8......5.0 or no truck Grant!!:beer:;):D

Joe Walsh
05-27-2018, 09:07 AM
The 3.0 Powerstroke looks nice. Think I read 30 MPGs hwy. Not sure I'd buy it first model year though.

I've been hoping for years that FORD would offer a 'small' 6 cylinder Turbo Diesel in their trucks, but I'm not looking at the new 3.0L PowerStroke TurboDiesel for a few reasons:

1: As you noted.....1st year of production on a new engine.
2: Diesel once was the cheapest fuel available.....by far.... not anymore. Heck, it is running higher than Premium 93!
3: Crazy high option price for the Diesel engines.*
4: The new 2.7L Turbo D.I. gas engine makes more HP and almost as much torque with very good gas mileage. (Plus gas engines REV up to 6,000+ RPM! :D)
5: I hardly ever tow, so max torque at 1,500 rpm is not that important.
6: Diesel/DEF bull$h*t - hassle.
7: Diesel fuel stinks and you can't wash the smell off!

* Now, if I was looking at an F250/F350 SuperDuty ...I would pay for that monster 6.7L PowerStroke Diesel in a heartbeat!

ALL TRUCKS NEED A V-8......5.0 or no truck Grant!!:beer:;):D

Don't get me wrong, I do love V8s....but even the FORD GT has a V6....:D

Marauderjack
05-27-2018, 09:36 AM
Hey Joe......just think how your Cobra replica would sound with a V-6......UGH!!:shake:

Joe Walsh
05-27-2018, 09:57 AM
Hey Joe......just think how your Cobra replica would sound with a V-6......UGH!!:shake:

:hmmm:

OK....ya got me there!

2004_p71
05-27-2018, 10:22 AM
To me it,s 5.0 all the way simply because of it,s achitecture and ease of maintance. I hear too many mixed reviews about the 3.5 turbo or not . They do great numbers on paper but that is about it to me.

I LOVE the new honeycomb grille on the newer truck and I'm glad they came with new grilles this year as I totally hated the 2015/2017 style.

Invective
05-27-2018, 11:01 AM
I believe Ford Dealer will let you order (build) a 150 anyway you want
it ordered --A Dealer once told me that Ford has a gazillion ways to put together a 150--so order it anyway you want----always wondered about that...............could go ask I suppose................

Thanks. The reason I asked was the Ford website just shows the 3.3L V6 for the XL.

Grimrepairman
05-27-2018, 11:28 AM
I personally would stay away from any of the new diesels. When they break, they break expensive. Not a fan of DEF and diesel fuel keeps getting more expensive.
The 3.5 EcoBoost seems to have proven itself. My stepfather is a Ford salesman, they have sold tons of them and I've only heard of one engine failure.
Ultimately, I agree that a truck should have a v8. Plus the 5.0 sounds cool. How much time will you be spending driving, and do you want to hear turbo whistle, or a v8 growl?

Bondfreak13
05-27-2018, 11:54 AM
The Problem with the Eco-Boost engines are you either get Eco or Boost. There rarely is a middle ground. This told to me from People I know that have them. If you enjoy the Boost part too much you'll end up getting worse MPG than the 5.0.

Thought I will say I like the 2.7. We had a special order come into the dealer once, 2.7 Eco-boost, Single cab 5.5-foot bed 4x4 with 4.10s. It was an export heading to Sweden. Impressive to say the lest in terms of performance.

Joe Walsh
05-27-2018, 11:56 AM
I personally would stay away from any of the new diesels. When they break, they break expensive. Not a fan of DEF and diesel fuel keeps getting more expensive.
The 3.5 EcoBoost seems to have proven itself. My stepfather is a Ford salesman, they have sold tons of them and I've only heard of one engine failure.
Ultimately, I agree that a truck should have a v8. Plus the 5.0 sounds cool. How much time will you be spending driving, and do you want to hear turbo whistle, or a v8 growl?

The thing that I love about turbo cars (and trucks) is the midrange torque, especially at cruising speeds....
Want to pass someone?....or accelerate to get into another lane?
No need to drop down gears and rev the heck out of it.
Just push down on the accelerator pedal and WHOOOSH!

BTW: My Fusion Sport has the 2.7L TTV6 and it sounds great!
Now, to be honest...most of it is 'piped in' sound... I thought that the 'generated sound' would be a joke...but it does sound really good.
I was driving a customer in my Fusion (he was partial to Mopar) and when I hammered it he said:
"Gawd damn does this thing move!...and it sounds badazz!!"
It is super quiet until you get on it...then it has a nice growl.

Joe Walsh
05-27-2018, 12:02 PM
The Problem with the Eco-Boost engines are you either get Eco or Boost. There rarely is a middle ground. This told to me from People I know that have them. If you enjoy the Boost part too much you'll end up getting worse MPG than the 5.0.

Thought I will say I like the 2.7. We had a special order come into the dealer once, 2.7 Eco-boost, Single cab 5.5-foot bed 4x4 with 4.10s. It was an export heading to Sweden. Impressive to say the lest in terms of performance.

True!....there is no denying Physics!
If you have to move a lot of weight, or move something really fast...you have to produce a lot of HP.
To produce a lot of HP you have to burn a lot of fuel.
There is no free lunch.
Now, if you can keep your foot out of it, or are cruising on the highway under light load...the EcoBoost engines will return really good gas mileage.

Bondfreak13
05-27-2018, 12:06 PM
That they Will. But the 90% of the customers that came into the dealer complaining of poor MPG drove with a heavy foot.

Joe Walsh
05-27-2018, 12:14 PM
That they Will. But the 90% of the customers that came into the dealer complaining of poor MPG drove with a heavy foot.

LOL....sounds like my wife.
She would always complain that her Subaru Legacy GT wagon (2.5L Turbo 4)
got crappy gas mileage for a 4 cylinder.
Then I asked her if she liked it when she pushed the accelerator down hard...
She said " Yeah!! It feels cool when I get pushed back in the seat!"
That driving style, combined with full time AWD, results in pretty lousy MPG out of a 4 cylinder Subaru.

Grimrepairman
05-27-2018, 01:07 PM
Agreed. Physics are physics. Any fuel has a finite amount of BTUs per gallon. And a large vehicle requires a lot of them to get moving. It all comes down to personal preference and driving style.
I have a v10 excursion, the first thing people bring up is fuel mileage. Realistically it isn't that bad considering the weight of the vehicle. Not much less than my 6.0 f350 6spd used to get. Naturally if I put my foot down you can almost hear the quarters fly out the tailpipe. It's just as happy to chug up hills at 1300rpms with minimal throttle.
My brother is tired of his GTI, and is considering an f150. We've been having the same discussion over the past few weeks. Reliability and towing capabilities are basically equal. Difference in fuel economy is marginal. Deciding factor for him will be vehicle cost and aftermarket parts pricing and availability.

Marauderman
05-27-2018, 05:21 PM

The "410's" in your little Eco-boost is where the "boost" is coming from so much and being a single small cab and bed--will do it ever time!!

MERCMAN
05-28-2018, 05:17 AM
Similarly Like above^^^^^^-- I have a 2012 3.5 Eco boost Kingranch with all the goodies available then and love it --It is a 6 speed auto which seems perfect for me--Have towed about 2800 of the 20K miles thus far and engine is super.
It also has the 373 rear gears and with the 420 TQ is very strong and have NO problem out running in a hurry anything nearby to stay out of trouble.

The newer versions may be tweaked a bit more but basically same engine.

I would go with the Eco boost-my vote

And BTW--my Vic Sport is for sale on autotrader along with '96 T-Bird
^^^^^^^^
have '13 KR and I agree with^^^^^^ great engine, love the truck!!

k

Rick-n-Miami
05-29-2018, 08:34 AM
I have a 2016 F150 Platinum with the 5.0. I purchased it from a Roush dealer and had the Roush Supercharger TVS2300 kit installed new from the dealer. Because it was all purchased through a Roush Ford dealer (they're all over the country), it maintains the full factory warranty. They claim it puts out about 600hp, although I've never had it on a dyno. I LOVE the truck.

I had a 2013 F150 Ecoboost before this truck. It was nice, but not great. The new truck with the 5.0 and Roush is MUCH better.....

Merc390
05-29-2018, 10:49 AM
I just bought a 2018 STX with the 2.7 to replace my 2010 with the 4.6 3V. That 2.7 scoots, super quick. I was between the 5.0 and the 2.7 and behind the 10spd the 2.7 seems a tad bit more spirited.

The most I tow is my Marauder or my Fairlane along with radom car parts and what not so the 2.7 fit the bill perfectly. Only thing I dislike, which is an on all the Ford trucks is the engine start stop feature.

The 2.7 had more power then my older truck and hauls and tows more too. Plus on average Im getting 20 MPG city and on my short michigan trip highway was bouncing between 24 and 25 mpg. Im very happy with this truck.

Ill try and post pics on lunch for whomever is interested

-kyle

gdsqdcr
05-29-2018, 12:38 PM
I just bought a 2018 STX with the 2.7 to replace my 2010 with the 4.6 3V. That 2.7 scoots, super quick. I was between the 5.0 and the 2.7 and behind the 10spd the 2.7 seems a tad bit more spirited.

The most I tow is my Marauder or my Fairlane along with radom car parts and what not so the 2.7 fit the bill perfectly. Only thing I dislike, which is an on all the Ford trucks is the engine start stop feature.

The 2.7 had more power then my older truck and hauls and tows more too. Plus on average Im getting 20 MPG city and on my short michigan trip highway was bouncing between 24 and 25 mpg. Im very happy with this truck.

Ill try and post pics on lunch for whomever is interested

-kyle

I like pictures ..

check out www.f150ecoboost.net ...

I got the 3.5 so I could comfortably tow. When I bought mine, I had a work trailer that sat around 10K ... the 2.7 wouldn't comfortably move that.

crownvic97
05-29-2018, 03:02 PM
I have a 2016 F150 Platinum with the 5.0. I purchased it from a Roush dealer and had the Roush Supercharger TVS2300 kit installed new from the dealer. Because it was all purchased through a Roush Ford dealer (they're all over the country), it maintains the full factory warranty. They claim it puts out about 600hp, although I've never had it on a dyno. I LOVE the truck.

I had a 2013 F150 Ecoboost before this truck. It was nice, but not great. The new truck with the 5.0 and Roush is MUCH better.....

That sounds wicked! Any pics?

Merc390
05-29-2018, 08:10 PM
This is my girl.

Spectragod
05-30-2018, 04:56 AM
My newest 150

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180530/51649f44cb97a6814fbe7cd7650451 16.jpg

Invective
05-30-2018, 05:16 AM

THIS^^^^^^^^^^

Rick-n-Miami
05-30-2018, 05:18 AM
Here are some pics of my F150 Roush...

http://www.betterchips.com/mm/truck1.jpg
http://www.betterchips.com/mm/truck2.jpg
http://www.betterchips.com/mm/truck3.jpg

I've since added some supercharger badges to the front side emblems as well as window tint on the fronts to match the rear. I have just over 15k miles on it now.

Invective
05-30-2018, 05:25 AM

I've since added some supercharger badges to the front side emblems as well as window tint on the fronts to match the rear. I have just over 15k miles on it now.

Goodness...love the stock/sleeper theme. Roush dealer not too far from me in Gastonia (Tindol) - bought my Ranger from them many years ago - past due for a visit!

Spectragod
05-30-2018, 05:33 AM

http://www.betterchips.com/mm/truck1.jpg
http://www.betterchips.com/mm/truck2.jpg
http://www.betterchips.com/mm/truck3.jpg

Hi Rick!!! Good to see life is still treating you good! [emoji106]

Rick-n-Miami
05-30-2018, 05:43 AM
Hi Rick!!! Good to see life is still treating you good! [emoji106]

For real! We should get together at a meet or show sometime. It's been too long! I haven't driven the Marauder much this year yet, but it needs a small road trip. Any ideas? I can always bring the truck instead if it's rainy or something.

Rick-n-Miami
05-30-2018, 05:45 AM
Goodness...love the stock/sleeper theme. Roush dealer not too far from me in Gastonia (Tindol) - bought my Ranger from them many years ago - past due for a visit!

Thanks! It literally has every option in it, except for the moon roof (I hate those things!!) I custom ordered it from Ford and took delivery a few days after it was built, with the blower kit installed from the dealer. I had them not put on the 4x4 and other related badges and stickers to keep it looking very stealth. It has surprised a few people :)

Oh, I did NOT get the Roush exhaust on it because I like it nice and quiet, and it also adds to the stealth effect. If I want loud, I'll drive the Marauder! lol

Rick-n-Miami
05-30-2018, 05:52 AM
For those who are interested, here's a video of a speed shop doing some testing on a 2016 Roush F150. It looks like the same kit is being sold by Roush for the 2017/2018 5.0 F150 as well, so it should be about the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2OrlCZtUSM

gdsqdcr
05-30-2018, 05:55 AM
Merc390, pretty color.
Rick n Miami, I like the sleeper look, probalby one of the reasons I drive a Marauder.

Here is mine, another day in the field.

Merc390
05-30-2018, 08:29 AM
Yeah that Blue pops in the sun light, I saw it and was like I gotta have it.

but that Roush F150........oh baby thats cool!!!

Invective
05-30-2018, 12:09 PM
For those who are interested, here's a video of a speed shop doing some testing on a 2016 Roush F150. It looks like the same kit is being sold by Roush for the 2017/2018 5.0 F150 as well, so it should be about the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2OrlCZtUSM

Not good! First brought to mind the 1960s' Dodge Lil Red Wagon 'show boat'. Will streetable F150s ever do this?;)

crownvic97
05-30-2018, 02:07 PM
This is making me want a new F150! :D

I like my 16’ Z71 Silverado, not going to lie...