PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento tests digital license plates

Chayton
05-29-2018, 09:28 AM
Thoughts? I mean seems like A no brainer to me. For only $700 and then $7 a month after I can pay someone to track me in my car? Sign me up!! I hear if you let them put a camera in your toilet for “data collection purposes” the monthly fee is waived!! SCORE

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mashable.com/2018/05/28/california-digital-license-plates.amp

Serge
05-29-2018, 09:52 AM
Might be useful for company vehicles, rentals cars and fleets. I can't see consumers wanting to install one of those on their personal vehicles though. The upfront cost, the subscription fee and what happens in case it gets damaged? Is consumer stuck paying for a replacement?

They do mention possibility of advertisement so if there is money to be made from ads displayed on the plates that will recoup cost of the plates and possibly add some extra cash to a person's pocket then people might actually go for it. All depends on how this project is executed.

What are they gonna do about the legality side of things? In Ontario a plate must be displayed in clear view at all times with no obstructions. That means license plate frames, clear covers or anything else is illegal. And here you have a digital display that will play commercials at stop lights.

Mr. Man
05-29-2018, 10:33 AM
People who invent this stupid stuff have way to much time on their hands. Easier and cheaper ways to track fleets.

Chayton
05-29-2018, 01:04 PM
Seems like a good way to cause accidents

Invective
05-29-2018, 01:24 PM
I know someone is thinking what I'm thinking...