PDA

View Full Version : My 2000 f250 diesel. Worlds fastest startup. Video included

Turbov6Bryan
07-29-2018, 06:29 PM
My truck was in storage for the last 10 months.

She's just a work truck and needed some love, but I finally got it sorted out.

I made a video, try and guess what I did to make it start up so fast...

It's a 2000 f 250 7.3 diesel, they are usually slow to start up. Has a 2011 body on it,.. it's just a retired work truck I used for Katrina.

Just made the video tonight

https://youtu.be/ihJYitMsigQ

camelgrundle
07-29-2018, 06:43 PM
Flame thrower air intake? Lol

MyBlackBeasts
07-29-2018, 07:09 PM
My truck was in storage for the last 10 months.

She's just a work truck and needed some love, but I finally got it sorted out.

I made a video, try and guess what I did to make it start up so fast...

It's a 2000 f 250 7.3 diesel, they are usually slow to start up. Has a 2011 body on it,.. it's just a retired work truck I used for Katrina.

Just made the video tonight

https://youtu.be/ihJYitMsigQ

You did nothing, they all snap off that fast. :dunno:

Turbov6Bryan
07-29-2018, 07:22 PM
I must admit, I've battled with interstate batteries the last 10 years working on a 30 million dollar fleet.

I put 2 interstates in this truck and it started off 8 volts SLOWLY for 2 years... I always thought it was the batteries... it used to take 10-15 seconds to start, had to plug it in for winters. Always had to cycle the glow plugs..

Recently I removed 2 batteries from 2 marauders and put them into the truck..it still cranked slowly..

MyBlackBeasts
07-29-2018, 07:41 PM
I must admit, I've battled with interstate batteries the last 10 years working on a 30 million dollar fleet.

I put 2 interstates in this truck and it started off 8 volts SLOWLY for 2 years... I always thought it was the batteries... it used to take 10-15 seconds to start, had to plug it in for winters. Always had to cycle the glow plugs..

Recently I removed 2 batteries from 2 marauders and put them into the truck..it still cranked slowly..

Interstate's are garbage.

Something else was plaguing you, what was it?

Greg
07-30-2018, 02:51 AM
I have 7.3L Excursion, mine had the same issue with starting slow. It turned out to be the starter. New starter and much faster. At the time figured they either worked or not. But, over time it just got weak. Actually it is getting slow again. May put a new in again soon. If it doesn't crank fast enough it will not start.

justbob
07-30-2018, 04:53 AM
I’ve never noticed a delayed crank on our older trucks at work?

I remember combing my optima red top with my high torque mini starter in the Marauder.. WOW It almost sounds like an Italian super car it cranks so fast and effortlessly!

Perhaps you finally combined a good combo?

Pretty damn cool on the body swap. Did you have to swap the actual cab too? I’d imagine doing so along with the body wiring and dash would be the easiest way anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbov6Bryan
07-30-2018, 06:55 AM
I have 7.3L Excursion, mine had the same issue with starting slow. It turned out to be the starter. New starter and much faster. At the time figured they either worked or not. But, over time it just got weak. Actually it is getting slow again. May put a new in again soon. If it doesn't crank fast enough it will not start.

This^^^^

It was the starter!!! I bought a $98.00 high torque starter off eBay and I am grinning ear to ear every time I start this truck! It too got to the point it would not start, listen to this thing purrrrrrr! Lol

I couldn't be happier

Turbov6Bryan
07-30-2018, 07:02 AM
I’ve never noticed a delayed crank on our older trucks at work?

I remember combing my optima red top with my high torque mini starter in the Marauder.. WOW It almost sounds like an Italian super car it cranks so fast and effortlessly!

Perhaps you finally combined a good combo?

Pretty damn cool on the body swap. Did you have to swap the actual cab too? I’d imagine doing so along with the body wiring and dash would be the easiest way anymore?

Yup it cranks over so fast I expect parts to granade like it's going to explode it's turning over so fast!!!

Same cab, doors and bed bolted right on. Fenders and header panel I used nut zerts to bolt to the 2000 inner structure. I used 2012 inner fenders and built brackets for the bumper to fit.
I had this truck, went new truck shopping in 2011 and a new gas truck was $36,000.00...... So I spent 3200.00 on new oem painted parts and from 5 feet away the truck looks brand new on the outside.
I just had 2 yards of gravel in it 2 days ago and she barely squatted!

Turbov6Bryan
07-30-2018, 07:10 AM
Interstate's are garbage.

Something else was plaguing you, what was it?

I hate interstate batteries too, but the interstate guy sold em to me right off the truck for 100 bucks each no tax, it was 15 degrees out and the truck wouldn't start.,,,, I NEEDED them at the time, it still started kinda slow.

I recently almost bought 2 new batteries for it,.. but realized the marauders had the same size batteries in them.
So I swapped batteries out of 2 marauders and the truck would barely start, it made it to Home Depot 3 times and finally the starter broke in my driveway with 60 bags of concrete and bagged dirt for this project I'm working on.
The entire time I was thinking it was batteries or cables, never seen a starter just crank slow

Greg
07-30-2018, 07:36 AM
I didn't get the high torque starter. Had concerns .... But, funny this post comes up just as I was thinking it was time for a new starter. On Marauder forum no less.

Turbov6Bryan
07-30-2018, 07:49 AM
I didn't get the high torque starter. Had concerns .... But, funny this post comes up just as I was thinking it was time for a new starter. On Marauder forum no less.

Funny is i have a mini starter on my buick grand national, it sounds funny, but it really doesnt start faster with it.

Justbob has always been telling his story about a gear reduction starter that he used on his marauder. That story has always been stuck in my head like a song that you cant shake.

So when the truck was starting reallll slow i bought my first gear reduction starter, and my marauder has been sitting because i get a kick out of this damn starter...

Thanks justbob

Here is the starter i am using... i had to clip the tab off the starter cable, and bend the cable flat for it to bolt up. Yes it uses 2 out of 3 bolt holes. Yes it has 13 teeth vs 12 teeth on the gear. It measures the same distance, must be bigger in diameter.
Love it!

eBay item number:331277736093

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Higher-Torque-Gear-Reduction-Starter-For-Ford-Trucks-7-3L-Power-Stroke-Eng/331277736093?ssPageName=STRK%3 AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Grimrepairman
07-30-2018, 11:24 AM
They all start that fast when everything is working correctly.

Interstates suck. I've seen lots of them go to bad long before they should.
Deka is my preferred brand. 2nd choice is napa(which are deka batteries with napa stickers and accompanying markup. In my area anyway, don't know about the rest of the country.)
7.3s eat starters around here. Probably because no one likes to wait for the glow plugs or replaces them when they go bad. Lots of fun when carbon buildup makes them get stuck in the cylinder head.

The bed swap is super simple for anyone wondering. Bolt pattern is the same from '99 to 2015 or 16. The newer bed is slightly narrow than the older cabs. Most people don't notice. Wiring is plug and play. Some of the taillights are the same also.
I haven't tried a front end swap. Personally prefer the older body style.
Truck looks good. Take care of it and it'll last a long time.

BLACKMARAUDER04
07-30-2018, 12:02 PM
I don't mind my Costco Interstate Batteries.
42 Month Warranty.
No questions asked when you return it for refund.
My Car batteries usually die around the 36 month
from the California heat. Haven't paid for a battery since 2006.

Greg
07-30-2018, 01:45 PM
Same here. Just replaced mine.

justbob
07-30-2018, 02:02 PM
Funny is i have a mini starter on my buick grand national, it sounds funny, but it really doesnt start faster with it.

Justbob has always been telling his story about a gear reduction starter that he used on his marauder. That story has always been stuck in my head like a song that you cant shake.

So when the truck was starting reallll slow i bought my first gear reduction starter, and my marauder has been sitting because i get a kick out of this damn starter...

Thanks justbob

Here is the starter i am using... i had to clip the tab off the starter cable, and bend the cable flat for it to bolt up. Yes it uses 2 out of 3 bolt holes. Yes it has 13 teeth vs 12 teeth on the gear. It measures the same distance, must be bigger in diameter.
Love it!

eBay item number:331277736093

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Higher-Torque-Gear-Reduction-Starter-For-Ford-Trucks-7-3L-Power-Stroke-Eng/331277736093?ssPageName=STRK%3 AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

[emoji1303]

This is the same one I used in the Marauder. I was fortunately able to score one when Jegs offered them renamed under their name and saved a few bucks. Last I knew they no longer carry them.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9532

I also put one in my F150. That one looks more stock but a little smaller, same gear reduction but much cheaper.

1Marauder
07-31-2018, 05:55 AM
I don't mind my Costco Interstate Batteries.
42 Month Warranty.
No questions asked when you return it for refund.
My Car batteries usually die around the 36 month
from the California heat. Haven't paid for a battery since 2006.

+4 batteries here.

Batteries are only weeks old when you buy them! My cars sit for extended periods without battery tenders (I know...). No questions asked, no hassle, no stink eye.