PDA

View Full Version : ...An Odd Question....

Petrograde
06-11-2004, 07:35 AM
OK,... Here goes.

Am I the only person that drives with BOTH feet? Meaning,... Right foot for the gas, and Left foot for the brake.

Is this weird? I've driven like this for almost 15 years.

Oh yeah,... because someone will prob'ly ask... I don't ride the brake, my foot is either next to the brake pedal, or hovering above it.

So,.. Am I the only one that does this?

HwyCruiser
06-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Proper left-foot braking is an acquired skill in Autocrossing... doing it well is worth several seconds. If you're not on the gas or on the brake, you're just cruising.

Hey, take your MM out to an event and show those guys you know what you're doing!

- JD

Bradley G
06-11-2004, 08:01 AM
I rember my father telling me not to do that when he was learn'in me how to drive. Higher likelyhood your left leg might spazz (slower reaction time) or not be able to develop enough brake pressure to stop in time.Ya only need one foot at a time unless, Your "Smok'in the the snots' ot a yer tires " LikeBillyGman showed us in his videoclip!! that's the only exception!!:shot:

FordNut
06-11-2004, 08:18 AM
I switch: normally I just use one foot, but in mountains, heavy traffic, or performance driving instances I use both feet.

Racerx88
06-11-2004, 08:28 AM
..................Higher likelyhood your left leg might spazz (slower reaction time) or not be able to develop enough brake pressure to stop in time.Ya only need one foot at a time unless,..........
I've always used both feet. So did MY dad. Don't change a thing Petro, you're doin' it right. Nobody will ever make me believe I can brake faster by lifting my foot AND ankle off the gas, moving my entire leg over, and THEN hitting the brake pedal. I promise I can brake quicker in a panic situation than someone who brakes with their right foot. IMHO.

Fourth Horseman
06-11-2004, 08:33 AM
I've always used both feet. So did MY dad. Don't change a thing Petro, you're doin' it right. Nobody will ever make me believe I can brake faster by lifting my foot AND ankle off the gas, moving my entire leg over, and THEN hitting the brake pedal. I promise I can brake quicker in a panic situation than someone who brakes with their right foot. IMHO.

Braking with the right foot is sort of a hard habit to break from my manual tranny days. My left foot still wants to hunt for the clutch pedal. :) It's been years and years since I had a car with a manual tranny, too. *shrug*

gilby04
06-11-2004, 08:34 AM
Both feet.
1961 Driver Ed instructors suggested both feet were safer than one.
Many accidents occurred when the driver mistakenly hit the accelerator after slipping off the brake pedal.

merc406
06-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Both feet here also. :burnout: :rasta:

duhtroll
06-11-2004, 09:46 AM
I normally use one, but I learned how to drive entirely with my left foot when I tore up my right ankle one summer. It was either that or not be able to drive and see my then-girlfriend-now-wife. Had to put my right foot stretched out in the passenger floor or curled under the seat depending on the car. So I can drive with my left or my right, or both. Every now and then I will drive with both feet. It can be done more smoothly than with one foot IMO.

I agree - someone who is skilled with the left on the brake should always be able to react faster on stops. It's just common sense.

-A

darebren
06-11-2004, 10:01 AM
i use both feet when not on the highway... never really thought about it, but i guess the reaction time is a bit faster.. i just hope i don't slam on both feet to avoid an accident..never really had a reaction tester before

Petrograde
06-11-2004, 10:01 AM
I've always used both feet. So did MY dad.
Yup,.. I learned it from my Dad too.

Nobody will ever make me believe I can brake faster by lifting my foot AND ankle off the gas, moving my entire leg over, and THEN hitting the brake pedal. I promise I can brake quicker in a panic situation than someone who brakes with their right foot. IMHO.

Damn stright! I know for a fact I've avoided a few accidents because my foot was already near the brake.

Not too mention,.. I'm a member of the Nintendo Generation. All those years of Super Mario Bros. gave me superior hand/eye coordination! :pimp:

Wow,... I'm suprised so many folks drive with both feet. I've never known anyone (except my Dad) who did that. cool. :up:

gohogs
06-11-2004, 10:03 AM
I use both feet, and don't have any problems transitioning to a manual transmission. Don't know why....I just do.

woaface
06-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Nope, I use one foot, unless I'm at a stop light and someone gets the temptation going.

Otherwise it's you and rally and autocross drivers. When you're spinning a subaru in the dirt at 80mph with trees all around you...you don't have time for any toe-heel crap.

hitchhiker
06-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Nope, I use one foot, unless I'm at a stop light and someone gets the temptation going.

Otherwise it's you and rally and autocross drivers. When you're spinning a subaru in the dirt at 80mph with trees all around you...you don't have time for any toe-heel crap.

Dat some crazy tap dancing!

:lol:

Driving a Subaru...I new something wasn't quite right...

:lol:

Fourth Horseman
06-11-2004, 12:08 PM

Yeah, good point, I do use both feet when I'm racing somebody. But It's really only just on launch, to switch from brake to gas as fast as possible.

Smokie
06-11-2004, 01:18 PM
At the track I use both, lets me load the powertrain to my preferred rpm's.

Heavy351
06-11-2004, 01:33 PM
I only use one foot now.. my last two cars have been sticks and I can only drive with both when I really concentrate at it.

My left foot still twitches at stoplights...

rkk
06-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Nope, I've always used one foot, the right one to do both, accelerate and brake. I guess that's not as common as I thought from the responses. :)

woaface
06-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Nope, I've always used one foot, the right one to do both, accelerate and brake. I guess that's not as common as I thought from the responses. :)
You have to wonder given sales of dead pedals.

rookie1
06-11-2004, 02:09 PM
what's a brake pedal?

Fourth Horseman
06-11-2004, 03:33 PM
what's a brake pedal?

They de-contented that from the 300Bs.

gonzo50
06-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Braking with the right foot is sort of a hard habit to break from my manual tranny days. My left foot still wants to hunt for the clutch pedal.
I also brake with my right foot, I've been a manual driver for ever too until the Marauder came along. :up:

The left foot for me usually rest on my KB dead pedal, it's easier for me to brace up against it when I'm doing a hard right turn with many G's. :burnout: :eek:

Marauderjack
06-12-2004, 03:50 AM
Them "Nascar Boys" use both feets......Looks kinda like they be dancin' at a "Hoe Down" !!!!!! :lol:

Marauderjack :cool4:

MERCDADDY
06-12-2004, 01:39 PM
I'm a two footer too. Kind of learned that through necessity back when you had to have a car that wouldn't idle (especially when cold). You guys remember- cam lobes that looked like footballs, chokeless carbs, high pressure valve springs, distributors, etc. I like the high tech rods of today where you can have the best of both worlds, but I do kind of miss the smell of raw fuel and an idle where you can hear each cylinder fire.

Patrick
06-12-2004, 01:46 PM
I only drive with one but at work on a forklift I have to use both. strange!

teamrope
06-12-2004, 09:32 PM
They de-contented that from the 300Bs.
I never use mine, I should have waited for the decontented decontented 300B :lol: