PDA

View Full Version : Another battery thread

Mr. Man
08-23-2018, 11:45 AM
SB's Interstate decided to go South after just 2 years. If I get a new Interstate I'll be replacing it in 2-3 years as that's how long they seem to last w/o DD the car, even with a Tender. Thinking about getting a Motorcraft to replace it rather than pro-rate the Interstate. I believe Johnson Controls makes both so the question is do companies like Interstate and Motorcraft tell Johnson Controls the specs they expect the batteries with their names on them how to perform or does Johnson Controls just slap different stickers on the batteries as they come down the line?

crownvic05
08-23-2018, 11:57 AM
Which interstate you use?

I ve been using the megatron plus 850 CCA, 1000 cranking amps.
This battery is a beast and its been on my car for over 3 years and still holding strong. Brother in law has the same one on his 06 p71, close to 5 years. I ride my car 2-3 times a week.

Mr. Man
08-23-2018, 12:09 PM
Which interstate you use?

I ve been using the megatron plus 850 CCA, 1000 cranking amps.
This battery is a beast and its been on my car for over 3 years and still holding strong. Brother in law has the same one on his 06 p71, close to 5 years. I ride my car 2-3 times a week.Same one. I keep losing cells. Drive the car once a week or so.

gdsqdcr
08-23-2018, 01:54 PM
I never had issues with any Interstste battery that I have owned.

When the original motorcraft went in the Marauder, I replaced it with another Motorcraft. The car sees 4000 miles a year. That battery was just replaced due to a bad cell, and was about 5 years old.

Don’t know who makes them ... so can’t answer that part.

Invective
08-23-2018, 02:19 PM
Wow! My Marauder's original battery was just replaced last year according to its previous owner. My Ranger's original battery was replaced in late 2016 while my Mustang is on its 3rd battery under my ownership (2014 and 2017).

Under its original owner, the Mustang had the battery replaced a number of times while under warranty as the 'dead battery syndrome' was consistently mis-diagnosed. Marauder now has a NAPA battery while the other two have used nothing but Motorcrafts.

Regarding Powersports (motorcycle) batteries, I switched last year from OEM Yuasa over to Batteries Plus brand with higher CCA for less money. I was getting 5+ years out of the Yuasas many years ago and more recently only averaged 3 years.

I use a Battery Tender periodically for 'maintenance charges' on all of my vehicles (4 times a year).:o

Invective
08-23-2018, 02:41 PM
Interstate Automotive Batteries:

"The actual origin of the manufacturing process for Interstate Batteries is vague. The automotive, truck, and marine batteries are made by Johnson Controls which makes 65% of the automotive, truck, and marine batteries sold in the USA. Johnson Controls also makes the batteries for Wal-Mart and AutoZone. From Louisiana to Southern California the Interstate brand batteries are made by a Johnson Controls manufacturing plant in Monterrey, Mexico. In the other states, the batteries are made by Johnson Controls in the United States."

https://www.b4usa.com/interstate-battery/

Motorcraft Batteries:

"Motorcraft batteries are made by Johnson Controls. The four largest domestic battery manufacturers are Johnson Controls (Interstate, Motorcraft, Energizer, older Diehards), Delco (Sears, newer Diehards), GNB (Champion) and Exide (NAPA)."

https://www.answers.com/Q/Who_makes_motorcraft_batteries #ixzz17A5xc25r

Turbov6Bryan
08-23-2018, 03:04 PM
interstates have gone to **** in the last 10 years.
Ive gone through 2 sets on my truck in 5 years, just went through a ford oem replacement on my 2011 mustang, thats 2 batteries on the 2011 since new. Motorcraft batteries and i do not get along, even with a tender too.

Napa battery crapped out in 6 months on the black car.
Gel cell red top ate the negative post out of itself sitting in the car.

I am at the point of pulling both cables off the car if its going to sit more than 24 hours.

BAD MERC
08-23-2018, 05:09 PM
I have a Motorcraft OE replacement and it looks just right. I am a weekend manager at a chain auto parts store and most are supplied by Johnson Controls like my store brand and Interstate. My Marauder and my Taurus have Motorcraft batteries and filters. My Ranger and Continental will soon.

tbone
08-23-2018, 05:17 PM
Optima is good. Just make sure to get their charger.

RubberCtyRauder
08-23-2018, 05:27 PM
Deka batteries , East Penn Mfg are good batteries

fastblackmerc
08-24-2018, 09:23 AM
Just installed a new Die Hard. Old one lasted 84 months on a 72 month warranty.

Catfish
08-24-2018, 07:17 PM
I've had good luck with the EverStart batteries from Wal-Mart. Made in USA by Johnson Controls.

Mr. Man
08-24-2018, 10:53 PM
I'll probably get a Motorcraft just to keep with the OEM theme. Just wondered if anyone knew about build standards as they relate to a brands quality even if it's made by the same master company.

Invective
08-24-2018, 11:20 PM
I'll probably get a Motorcraft just to keep with the OEM theme. Just wondered if anyone knew about build standards as they relate to a brands quality even if it's made by the same master company.

That’s a tough one but I think you nailed it in the final sentence of your OP.:o

Red91LX
08-27-2018, 02:50 AM
Mine has a MORORCRAFT that's been in the car since 2009...I drive it rarely, maybe a few hundred miles a year. I keep a TENDER PLUS on it always, and it seems to be keeping the charge every time I crank it over.

Invective
08-27-2018, 08:35 AM
Mine has a MORORCRAFT that's been in the car since 2009...

Hmmm… must be one of those communist batteries we keep hearing about.:rolleyes:

crouse
08-27-2018, 09:34 AM
I've had really good luck with Motorcraft batteries.

JamesHecker
08-05-2021, 07:59 PM
What is a good brand of battery tender for my 2003 that spends most of it's time under a cover in my driveway? I rarely drive it but like to be ready when I need it. Thanks!

1Marauder
08-05-2021, 10:46 PM
I use Motorcraft, and Costco.

Costco has a four or five year, zero hassle, zero issues, replacement policy. I think I had to pay $11.00 due to tax or something last time. I tape the receipt in a Baggie to the bottom of battery before I install. I have , due to lack of use, exchanged three times with no issues at all.

Peace2Peep
08-06-2021, 11:07 AM
What is a good brand of battery tender for my 2003 that spends most of its' time under a cover in my driveway? I rarely drive it but like to be ready when I need it. Thanks!. You said it yourself....Battery Tender is a great product and a USA family company, based right down the street from me. https://www.batterytender.com/