PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Florence

Marauderjack
09-13-2018, 01:25 PM
If anyone wants to see what's going on first hand here is the Live Camera on Frying Pan Shoals Tower 35 miles offshore of Bald Head Island and Southport, NC!!:eek: The flag was new this morning!!:shake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4NxkouGM

SteelQualityMan
09-13-2018, 01:44 PM
God help any poor sailor man who is out on that sea. We should all say a prayer for the people who are stuck either trying to evacuate or trying to save their homes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

blazen71
09-13-2018, 01:52 PM
Jack how's the view from your pier?

RF Overlord
09-13-2018, 03:00 PM
We should all say a prayer for the people who are stuck either trying to evacuate or trying to save their homes.
Been doing that all week...

03Merc
09-13-2018, 03:19 PM
Wilson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jsignorelli
09-13-2018, 04:46 PM
I have a friend who served in the Navy during the Vietnam war. He was on an aircraft carrier. He told us that during a typhoon, the waves were breaking on the flight deck.

If you have ever been on an air craft carrier, you know that these wave were really high.

sailsmen
09-13-2018, 07:51 PM
A Hurricane is not a uniform Wall of Wind and Water.

You can have 100 knots of wind in one place and 200 knots a few feet away.
Same with the storm surge.

The problem with staying is you don't know where those variances are.

Years ago we used to say they were Tornadoes inside a Hurricane. There maybe, however a Hurricane is never uniform.

After Ivan I went to a Marina. A houseboat with large sliding glass doors was on blocks because it's bottom had just been painted. It was untouched, not even a leaf on it. I asked the Yard Manager if they had cleaned it since Ivan and he said no.

75' away was another boat that was on blocks and it was smashed to pieces.

Marauderjack
09-14-2018, 05:35 AM
Jack how's the view from your pier?

Just another calm day Dave.....10 MPH NW breeze but that's it!!:D

We've been very lucky so far!!:beer:

Invective
09-14-2018, 07:08 AM
I'm at the crossroads of Aiken, Saluda and Lexington Counties. Florence was supposed to come through here last night - now, the weather people are stating tonight. Plenty of liquor and junkfood on hand...

Blk Mamba
09-14-2018, 09:14 AM
We live out in Abbeville county SC, the weather people have told us for days that Flo was going to make her northward turn right on top of us, but as far as we are inland all we'll get is 40 mph wind, and 6-8" of rain, no big deal.

a_d_a_m
09-14-2018, 09:25 AM
^ hey Tony, how ya been?

Blk Mamba
09-14-2018, 01:57 PM
Adam,
Alive and well, Isis graduated a year early, and is an art major in college, Karen is looking for retirement, Nicky, and Tiber are fine.

CBT
09-15-2018, 12:34 PM
I have a friend who served in the Navy during the Vietnam war. He was on an aircraft carrier. He told us that during a typhoon, the waves were breaking on the flight deck.

If you have ever been on an air craft carrier, you know that these wave were really high.
6 and a half of my 20 years in the Navy was on two different aircraft carriers. We hit a storm so bad in the Bermuda triangle one time that I thought that was it, all the stories are true, we're gonna die. All the weaponry we had, all the technology, and you quickly realize crap we're not the baddest kid on the block anymore, King Neptune is. Or Mother Nature for you civilians...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

a_d_a_m
09-15-2018, 06:13 PM
Adam,
Alive and well, Isis graduated a year early, and is an art major in college, Karen is looking for retirement, Nicky, and Tiber are fine. Holy crap, college? Was it that long ago? Glad everyone is well.

Invective
09-15-2018, 06:46 PM
Hurricane Florence turned into a complete bust for us here in extreme NE corner of Aiken County, SC - not complaining! Just breezy - blowing light rain for the most part. Still plenty of liquor, junk food, bottled water and water filled bathtubs.:D