02-14-2019, 11:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufwfnwkx4d4

cheapthrillb2
02-14-2019, 12:42 PM
I was reading the YouTube comments... Wow

And that dealers Facebook page to.

Logan86
02-14-2019, 05:25 PM
It's not the dealer, it's the stupid tech and his turd buddy. Does the dealership have some liability? Eh, kinda but I'd fire the tech and sue him civilly then encourage the customer to do the same.

If I punch a customer in the face at work it isn't the dealer's fault, it's a civil issue at that point.

cheapthrillb2
02-14-2019, 05:32 PM
For sure, but thats not stopping people from spamming the dealers Facebook.

I'm a tech in a relatively large chain of shops. I try to be pretty aware of dash cams, not because of anything I physically do with customer cars, but rather the conversations that take place in the area of the car.

Joe Walsh
02-14-2019, 06:42 PM
Another reason why I almost NEVER take my cars to the dealership for repairs....at least not any performance models that I've owned.
My Marauder never went into the dealership....of course a built 5.0 DOHC with headers wouldn't have encouraged the tech to 'test drive' it! :rolleyes:
A friend had his 1988 Turbo TBird wrecked when a 'test driving tech' ran it off the highway and then ran over a few signs & posts.
The dealership repaired it....but it was never the same.

BAD MERC
02-14-2019, 06:44 PM
75 MPH through alleys with cars and.... kids? I was surely expecting something tragic.

MyBlackBeasts
02-14-2019, 08:26 PM
It's not the dealer, it's the stupid tech and his turd buddy. Does the dealership have some liability? Eh, kinda but I'd fire the tech and sue him civilly then encourage the customer to do the same.

If I punch a customer in the face at work it isn't the dealer's fault, it's a civil issue at that point.

The dealership (the business) assumes ALL liability for their employee's actions on the clock and test driving a client's car.

IE: that jagoff doing 100mph on those narrow city streets and a kid walks out from between parked cars = splat. dealer's insurance pays, victim sues dealer and the idiot tech personally (co-litigants).

Employee's actions have to reach felony level before employer is off hook but even then they'll still be sued and lose.

Logan86
02-14-2019, 10:36 PM
The dealership (the business) assumes ALL liability for their employee's actions on the clock and test driving a client's car.

IE: that jagoff doing 100mph on those narrow city streets and a kid walks out from between parked cars = splat. dealer's insurance pays, victim sues dealer and the idiot tech personally (co-litigants).

Employee's actions have to reach felony level before employer is off hook but even then they'll still be sued and lose.

I would disagree with this statement. I work for one of the largest (top 10) Ford stores in the nation and if I screwed up a customer's car I guarantee that my dealer principal who is worth $900 million + and can afford the best legal team in the world isn't going to feel any heat. I on the other hand am worth $20 to $25 depending on whether I've bought lunch and cannot afford said legal dream team so the dealership would be just fine, assume zero liability, say I was no longer acting as an agent or representative there of and tell the customer to go pound sand. Now, with that said in this modern world of social justice and what not I'm sure my dealership would solve the problem with some sort of middle of the road solution.

In this particular case I get that the customer felt wronged but his demands to pretty much have the whole car refurbished at the dealership's expense were out there in fantasy land, right next to where I keep my hopes of scoring Scarlett Johansson's virginity. Maybe comp the visit and provide a Ford premium care warranty (costs rough $2500 to $3500 depending on term and mileage) then tell the guy to have a nice day. Too many people look for opportunities to bend businesses over and its garbage in my opinion. I deal with it daily and sometimes you just have to tell a customer no.

sailsmen
02-15-2019, 07:33 AM
Was the customer able to specify his "damages"?

Tire, drive train and brake wear?

I think the suggestion of offering a warranty or a warranty extension makes sense.

On a number of occasions I have pointed out the mods to the customer service rep and to be very careful flooring it. One told me they only allow the service manager to drive it.:D

Joe Walsh
02-15-2019, 09:55 AM
The tech wasn't really beating on it.....no neutral drops, no banging gears nor hitting any curbs...etc.
Would I be pissed if it was my car....Sure!
But the main problem was ripping down narrow streets at a very high speed.

Invective
02-15-2019, 01:30 PM
I deal with it daily and sometimes you just have to tell a customer no.

Thinking you nailed it IMO.

1Marauder
02-17-2019, 11:39 AM
The tech wasn't really beating on it.....no neutral drops, no banging gears nor hitting any curbs...etc.
Would I be pissed if it was my car....Sure!
But the main problem was ripping down narrow streets at a very high speed.

I am with you!

Stupid, yes. Wrong, yes. Would I be pissed? YES!

Didn't flog the car too hard though, and aside from the stupid and dangerous speeds on narrow streets-- just gotta shake your head and be grateful nothing bad happened.