PDA

View Full Version : Updating pukey faux wood trim in CVSport

1Marauder
02-17-2019, 10:59 AM
Carbon Fiber Wrap: Not really my style at all.

But when contemplating how to "Update" the lame faux wood trim in my CVSport I went ahead and spent $19.00 for the top of the line wrap.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND -- not going to redo every piece, just the two faux wood trim pieces.

With no previous knowledge or skills at this, on a whim and an adult beverage, I went ahead and wrapped the driver's side trim piece.

While I chose the incorrect (too light) carbon fiber wrap, for my first time playing with it I think it came out surprisingly well! I think it will look much better with the next shade (or two) darker wrap.

I went ahead and ordered the darker wrap, and will do both faux wood trim pieces next weekend UNLESS ANYONE HAS A BETTER IDEA. IF SO PLEASE SHARE ASAP! My interior is like new-yet appears dated due the nasty faux wood.

Note: Not disparaging all faux wood, I have light flint interior--the brown faux wood may look fine on sand with tan leather interior--it just looks horrible brown on grey with light flint.

03MERCMARAUDER
02-17-2019, 11:07 AM
Looks good. I have been wanting to do the same bbn with the dot matrix trim on my 04 marauder. Where did you order the wrap from?

Joe

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1Marauder
02-17-2019, 11:31 AM
Looks good. I have been wanting to do the same bbn with the dot matrix trim on my 04 marauder. Where did you order the wrap from?

Joe

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Amazon, best seller or Amazon choice. Vivid or 3M. 1 ft by 5 feet perfect four our trim pieces. Corner/ edge at stearing wheel end is the hardest due to fold overlap. PS and lighter color like I bought first go round doesn't match and is more grey/blue while dash is more grey/brown.

Turbov6Bryan
02-17-2019, 02:57 PM
I have something very close to that on my sport. The 2013 mustang wheels that are on it, got the center cap treatment to match it..

Previous owner did it, looks nice

crownvic97
02-17-2019, 06:27 PM
I dig the wrap, much better than the wood!

justbob
02-17-2019, 06:30 PM
Looks great!

Have someone fan a heat gun as you stretch the material around corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1Marauder
02-23-2019, 11:59 AM
Next color came and the wrap is too dark (black). Waiting for the heather/dark grey now.

Took some better photos for you guys n gals

1Marauder
02-23-2019, 12:00 PM
Car feels much newer, looks younger /more modern, and drives better because of the wrap!

1Marauder
02-23-2019, 12:02 PM
Another shot of it pre installed

MyBlackBeasts
02-23-2019, 02:53 PM
Next color came and the wrap is too dark (black). Waiting for the heather/dark grey now.

Took some better photos for you guys n gals

I like that! Go for it. :up:

BAD MERC
02-23-2019, 06:45 PM
I gotta say, I really like it!!!!

1Marauder
03-11-2019, 08:48 PM
UPDATE,

First grey(photos above) was too blue-ish and didn't really look right. I ordered black, and it was really dark (unlike photo when purchasing), so I ordered another grey... And it was exactly the same color as dash... So much so that everyone I asked to view all three colors picked the black.

So I peeled off the light blue grey carbon fiber wrap and re-wrapped today!

First, the product is really cool to work with. It was actually fun! The black actually made the entire dash look smaller and farther away, so much so I thought I'd moved the seat back.

For those who want to change thier dot matrix or if it had been damaged, they also have a brushed stainless wrap too (I'd wish I'd seen that one first!).
Photos attached.

03MERCMARAUDER
03-12-2019, 08:57 AM
That looks good. Where did you get the wrap? I am wanting to do the same to my marauder and cover the faux wood trim in the excursion I recently bought.

Joe

1Marauder
03-14-2019, 08:40 PM
Amazon... Search "Carbon Fiber Wrap" manufacturers are Vivid or 3M. They have many different sizes. I bought 1ft by 5ft. And it was perfect for our trim.

If you need any pointers, PM me I am happy to share what I learned playing with it.