PDA

View Full Version : Remember the 'Amazon' Truck?

Invective
04-24-2019, 10:31 AM
Looks like Ford is getting behind the project too.

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/BBUyNu5.img?h=1080&w=1920&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=1256&y=816

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/ford-invests-dollar500-million-in-electric-truck-startup-rivian/ar-BBWfhZE?OCID=ansmsnnews11

stevengerard
04-24-2019, 01:55 PM
its getting more and more press, sounds like a great vehicle but for $70K+ I'd rather have two other cars.

Spectragod
04-24-2019, 02:10 PM
its getting more and more press, sounds like a great vehicle but for $70K+ I'd rather have two other cars.

I guess that your cars will be Honda’s, since it seems everyone is getting out of the car business and only wants to manufacture/sell trucks, and 70k is pretty much the norm for a truck these days..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevengerard
04-24-2019, 03:08 PM
I guess that your cars will be Honda’s, since it seems everyone is getting out of the car business and only wants to manufacture/sell trucks, and 70k is pretty much the norm for a truck these days..

Nope no Honda for me. I’m guessing this is just a cycle and Ford will have more than a Mustang in their line up again eventually. I like electric cars, as long as I can still keep my V8 combustion engines to enjoy occasionally. I have two Fusion Energi’s in my household. But for less than $75k I could buy a new Mustang GT Premium and a Fusion Energi right now. Or for around $80k a Shelby GT350 and a base Chevy Colorado (starts at $21,300 so I even have extra money to buy floor mats [emoji2957])

I’m just saying 70k is a big nut to buy a car with no history of anything; performance, build quality, dependability or safety. Heck, I hope it works and even better I hope ford uses their skateboard to make a sub 2.5 second street-able Ranger. I like the raptor but don’t need any of it’s off-road capability.

Joe Walsh
04-24-2019, 03:41 PM
WOOF!

I hope that they hire some new design stylists!
That front end is more puke worthy than the new Chevy pick up's....:puke:

Grimrepairman
04-24-2019, 07:25 PM
I maintain my decision to not own anything newer than 2007.
For a fraction of 70k any of my vehicles could be tastefully updated. Particularly my '71 GMC Custom Camper pickup or '71 GMC Suburban. Heck, could probably do both for 70k.

Ambitious1
04-25-2019, 05:43 AM
WOOF!

I hope that they hire some new design stylists!
That front end is more puke worthy than the new Chevy pick up's....:puke:

+1 on this. Why do they always design electric vehicles with weird shapes? I know they can easily design an electric vehicle with pleasing aesthetics. Or is this more Big Oil / Gas getting involved in the auto industry designs?

stevengerard
04-25-2019, 07:18 AM
+1 on this. Why do they always design electric vehicles with weird shapes? I know they can easily design an electric vehicle with pleasing aesthetics. Or is this more Big Oil / Gas getting involved in the auto industry designs?

I'm just guessing, because they are not designing it for you or me. Completely different market. That hood on the truck is now a huge secure storage area, every part of that truck is storage of some kind or another and its fast as heck. I don't much like the looks either but their most interested buyer demographic so far is Land Rover owners, that right there should tell you something - value and looks are least on their mind.

Joe Walsh
04-25-2019, 08:10 AM
I'm just guessing, because they are not designing it for you or me. Completely different market. That hood on the truck is now a huge secure storage area, every part of that truck is storage of some kind or another and its fast as heck. I don't much like the looks either but their most interested buyer demographic so far is Land Rover owners, that right there should tell you something - value and looks are least on their mind.

Yep...its all about; "Look how much stupid money I spent on the vehicle that I'm driving!!!"

Joe Walsh
04-25-2019, 08:13 AM

Couldn't agree more!
Without need for a tall engine under the hood nor a grille opening for a radiator, they have a lot more freedom to style the front end...yet they make these hideous designs.

Tesla does a nice design job on the P90s.

stevengerard
04-25-2019, 09:24 AM
Couldn't agree more!
Without need for a tall engine under the hood nor a grille opening for a radiator, they have a lot more freedom to style the front end...yet they make these hideous designs.

Tesla does a nice design job on the P90s.

The Rivian does have a radiator, it has liquid cooled batteries. The radiator is in the front, just not as tall as most. Not sure if they use it for AC as well

Invective
04-25-2019, 02:18 PM
The Rivian does have a radiator, it has liquid cooled batteries. The radiator is in the front, just not as tall as most. Not sure if they use it for AC as well

Interesting observation as I've always wondered what type of climate control an EV deployed....have a crush on the Tesla S.....