PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

MarauderMike
06-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Just some interesting notes,

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

1. How many steps does the guard take during his walk across the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and why?

21 steps, it alludes to the twenty-one gun salute, which is the
highest honor given any military or foreign dignitary.

2. How long does he hesitate after his about face to begin his
return walk and why?

21 seconds for the same reason as answer number 1..

3. Why are his gloves wet?

His gloves are moistened to prevent his losing his grip on the
rifle.

4. Does he carry his rifle on the same shoulder all the time,
and if not, why not?

He carries the rifle on the shoulder away from the tomb. After
his march across the path, he executes an about face, and moves
the rifle to the outside shoulder.

5. How often are the guards changed?

Guards are changed every thirty minutes, twenty-four hours a day,
and 365 days a year.

6. What are the physical traits of the guard limited to?

For a person to apply for guard duty at the tomb he must be
between 5' 10" and 6' 2" tall and his waist size cannot exceed 30."

Other requirements! of the Guard:
They must commit 2 years of life to guard the tomb, live in a
barracks under the tomb, and cannot drink any alcohol on or off duty
for the rest of their lives. They can not swear in public for the rest
of their lives and can not disgrace the uniform {fighting} or the tomb
in any way.
After two years, the guard is given a wreath pin that is worn on their
lapel signifying they served as guard of the tomb. There are only 400
presently worn.
The guard must obey these rules for the rest of their lives or give up
the wreath pin.

The shoes are specially made with very thick soles to keep the heat and
cold from their feet. There are metal heel plates that extend to the
top of the shoe in order to make the loud click as they come to a
halt.
There are no wrinkles, folds or lint on the uniform.
Guards dress for duty in front of a full-length mirror.
The first six months of duty a guard cannot talk to anyone, nor watch
TV.

All off duty time is spent studying the 175 notable people laid to rest
in Arlington National Cemetery. A guard must memorize who they are and
where they are interred.
Among the notables are: President Taft, Joe E. Lewis {the boxer} and
Medal of Honor winner Audie Murphy, {the most decorated soldier of
W.W.II} of Hollywood fame.

Every guard spends five hours a day getting his uniforms ready for
guard duty.

To those who have served and to those who now serve our armed forces, my respects to you all.

woaface
06-17-2004, 03:14 PM

Wow...Amazing, God bless them...

woaface
06-17-2004, 03:21 PM
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/guardin-rain.jpg

dok
06-17-2004, 03:22 PM
I had received this as an email a while back. I was so impressed that I forwarded it to everyone in my address book. Two people replied giving me this link:

http://www.snopes.com/military/unknown.asp

Much of the story is true, but some of it isn't. I was hoping it was all true because it's a great story.

Constable
06-17-2004, 03:31 PM
This is why I am proud to wear my uniform everyday. Some complain about the fact that they're somewhat uncomfortable... but they only complain because they are too ignorant to realize the significance of the uniform itself.

My training Lt. once told me:

"Too many great men have DIED in that uniform for you to wear it improperly."

This was when I was still a recruit in my first round of police academy (nine months). He taught me not only to be a great police officer, but also a great man. From that point on, I have taken that extra couple of minutes every day to ensure that there are no loose threads, buttons, lint, wrinkles, or any other debris on my gear.

MI2QWK4U
06-17-2004, 04:14 PM
This is why I am proud to wear my uniform everyday. Some complain about the fact that they're somewhat uncomfortable... but they only complain because they are too ignorant to realize the significance of the uniform itself.

My training Lt. once told me:

Quote:
"Too many great men have DIED in that uniform for you to wear it improperly."

This was when I was still a recruit in my first round of police academy (nine months). He taught me not only to be a great police officer, but also a great man. From that point on, I have taken that extra couple of minutes every day to ensure that there are no loose threads, buttons, lint, wrinkles, or any other debris on my gear.

God bless your training Lt., a more truthful statement has never been made. One of those men that died in "that" uniform was a good friend of mine, passed him in the hallway every day, listened to his terrible jokes, and there isnt a day goes by I dont miss him in roll call. He loved being a good police officer, and set examples of conduct so high that we never thought we could come close. Whether in the military or law enforcement, it means a commitement to a life protecting something importment, and there is an ultimate price some must pay doing it. It is a shame that some forget that price is paid...

FiveO
06-17-2004, 04:43 PM
I had received this as an email a while back. I was so impressed that I forwarded it to everyone in my address book. Two people replied giving me this link:

http://www.snopes.com/military/unknown.asp

Much of the story is true, but some of it isn't. I was hoping it was all true because it's a great story.

Thanks for the heads up.

Still very impressive though.

Bluerauder
06-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Just some interesting notes,

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

"...snip..."
Other requirements! of the Guard:
They must commit 2 years of life to guard the tomb, live in a
barracks under the tomb, and cannot drink any alcohol on or off duty
for the rest of their lives. They can not swear in public for the rest
of their lives "...snip..."

To those who have served and to those who now serve our armed forces, my respects to you all.

Thanks for the Tomb of the Unknowns information. Actually, there are more than one soldier there. In fact, one for each conflict through Vietnam (and I think that he was recently identified using DNA technology).

For more info on the 1st Battalion, 3rd US Infantry Regiment "The Old Guard" see the wesite at:
3rd US Infantry Regiment website (http://www.mdw.army.mil/oldguard/index2.htm)

We used to call them "The First of the 3rd Herd".

I question some of the 'other requirements' such as the no drinking and swearing for life ...... think those were added for effect. However, the Old Guard are the top of the line. Those that stray, don't stay around very long.

When I was married in 1975 (in uniform), my new wife and I walked under an arch of 8 sabers that came from the Old Guard. One of the benefits of being friends with the Lieutentant in charge of the Tomb Guard. The arch must have worked 'cause 29 years later -- we are still together.

Petrograde
06-17-2004, 05:24 PM
When I was married in 1975 (in uniform), my new wife and I walked under an arch of 8 sabers that came from the Old Guard. One of the benefits of being friends with the Lieutentant in charge of the Tomb Guard. The arch must have worked 'cause 29 years later -- we are still together.

Wow man,... sweet!

The "Old Guard" are truely 'high speed, low drag'!!!!

Patrick
06-18-2004, 01:22 AM
Those are some special soldiers!! God bless them!!!

Rob1559
06-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Guards have been to resign when they received a speeding ticket!

jgc61sr2002
06-21-2004, 02:08 PM
I wore my USMC uniform proudly for 6 years and equally proud wearing the NYPD uniform for 35 years. My three sons follow in my footsteps. All are members of the NYPD. :up: Semper Fidellis

Patrick
06-21-2004, 02:50 PM
I wore my USMC uniform proudly for 6 years and equally proud wearing the NYPD uniform for 35 years. My three sons follow in my footsteps. All are members of the NYPD. :up: Semper Fidellis :up: :up: :up:

Patrick
06-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Watch "We were soldiers" :up: Not related to this topic but those who have served nows!!!!!!!!111