PDA

View Full Version : WARNING!!! Do NOT do this "mod"...

TAF
06-17-2004, 06:12 PM
Unless you want the flattest, baddest, glued to the road, mac-daddiest, "twisty tamingest", bring on the curves Marauder.

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/watermark.php?file=500/83front_sway_bar_4.jpg

woaface
06-17-2004, 06:13 PM
That still isn't as pimp as a Grand Marquis...can't keep up either...just to let you know.:shot:

CRUZTAKER
06-17-2004, 06:15 PM
Front bar....

Home made secret thingy, or can we buy this one from a current source?

stevengerard
06-17-2004, 06:18 PM
can you still let your back end kick out, I'd like some oversteer for autocrossing

TAF
06-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Front bar....

Go here for when I first posted it...however..my source needed to be edited. Note Dennis SAID he'd talk to Addco.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10468&highlight=front+swaybar

TAF
06-17-2004, 06:47 PM
can you still let your back end kick out, I'd like some oversteer for autocrossing
Don't know yet...but with this, the rear Addco sway bar, Eibach Springs and the Metco Control Arms...it's on RAILS.

Next week....WATTS link :up::banana:

TAF
06-17-2004, 06:49 PM
One serious install warning though. I'm going to call Addco tomorrow and let them know that the plates and brackets they send DO NOT have holes large enough for the links. Scott had to modify them...and it was a biatch to do.

Other than that...SWEET!:burnout:

woaface
06-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Todd is the pimp of handling...and I think he's gettin' a lot of ho's...followers and companies!

TAF
06-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Todd is the pimp of handling...and I think he's gettin' a lot of ho's...followers and companies!
No...Shankin is the "pimp of handling"...I'm just doing what he says...and enjoying every minute of it.

I guess I'd better make sure I have a full tank for saturday morning, huh.

OH...that's right...Billy said "Don't let ANYONE drive your car!!!" ;) :P :D

tmac1337
06-17-2004, 07:09 PM
All roads seem to be leading to Atlanta. It's like the Wizard of Oz. Who is behind the curtain?

Agent M79
06-17-2004, 07:30 PM
Ok... Someone use small words and simple concepts and tell me why a front anti-sway bar is "bad" for launches.

sailsmen
06-17-2004, 08:14 PM
For a dragster launch you want the front to be soft and lift up shifting the center of gravity toward the rear where you need traction.

The unofficial Chrysler Ram Team started it by moving the rear wheels closer to the front of the car, hence the name "funny car".

martyo
06-17-2004, 08:18 PM
For a dragster launch you want the front to be soft and lift up shifting the center of gravity toward the rear where you need traction.

Actually, this depends on the track surface and level of preparation.

TAF
06-17-2004, 08:54 PM
All roads seem to be leading to Atlanta. It's like the Wizard of Oz. Who is behind the curtain?
Just in case you missed this in the other thread...

HOLLA! for the A-T-L
"Everybody say HOOOOO!!!":cool4:
http://www.streetracingforums.com/attachment.php?postid=314684

Donny Carlson
06-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Just in case you missed this in the other thread...
Okay, now this explains why Todd was so excited when he saw my subwoofer.:cool:

RCSignals
06-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Front bar....

Check with Wes Chain. He has them from Quickor, and they are not mild steel

Agent M79
06-18-2004, 05:28 AM
Ok. For starters, Todd, that picture you posted... that's a big woman. She has a 1:1 scale life size Fat Albert character on her left... er... um... I mean it's like and entire dude and stuff.

Now then...

Weight to the rear tires, lessens spin, increases hookup. Got it. Buy why does a front sway bar affect this? Additional weight? Could it be that much heavier than stock that you could tell?

martyo
06-18-2004, 05:35 AM
It looks likes two pigs wrestling under a blanket....

Amsoil_Dealer
06-18-2004, 06:52 AM
That is one big ass bar....Relative to rotating the rear. I though the stiff front bar helped the rear end swing. Am I Crazy? (keep the crazy responses to the handling subject please. I already know I am "crazy").

Don

Ross
06-18-2004, 07:11 AM
That is one big ass bar.

Bar, did someone say Bar? Who's buying the first round? :beer:

TAF
06-18-2004, 01:30 PM
UPDATE:

I spoke with Trey at Addco this a.m. to tell him that the brackets they are sending with this bar DO NOT work...and had to be modified for my car. He was aware of the problem and had no problem getting replacements out to me A.S.A.P. So whether you buy from Dennis..or where I got mine from (unmentionable) or anyone else...be sure you get the CORRECT brackets for this bar (Swaybar Part#2196)

On another note...Shankin thrashed my car around today with this latest addition to the handling package. I believe his edited words were "Holy :censor:! That is UNBELIEVABLE how much tighter it handles!!! "

TAF
06-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Not a problem at ALL!!! In fact it's even enhanced to the point that after Jason from Team Ford drove it...he said that he would lower the rearend a little more...but, I REALLY like my "enhanced rake" and don"t think I'll do that just yet.

stevengerard
06-18-2004, 07:25 PM
That is one big ass bar....Relative to rotating the rear. I though the stiff front bar helped the rear end swing. Am I Crazy? (keep the crazy responses to the handling subject please. I already know I am "crazy").

Don

I think you are right. typically in a rear drive car the back end kicks out too easily so you put in a larger bar to minimize that, but if you throw in too large of a front bar you are back to the rear end braking lose too fast. In a hair-pin turn you can get the back end pointed in the right direction with the weight transfered to the back passenger side wheel for traction out of the turn.

sailsmen
06-19-2004, 04:16 AM
The bigger front bar stiffens the front suspension, transfering less wt to the rear when launching.

Some cars disconnect the front sway for a better launch at the track.

schuvwj
06-19-2004, 05:52 AM
UPDATE:

I spoke with Trey at Addco this a.m. to tell him that the brackets they are sending with this bar DO NOT work...and had to be modified for my car. He was aware of the problem and had no problem getting replacements out to me A.S.A.P. So whether you buy from Dennis..or where I got mine from (unmentionable) or anyone else...be sure you get the CORRECT brackets for this bar (Swaybar Part#2196)

On another note...Shankin thrashed my car around today with this latest addition to the handling package. I believe his edited words were "Holy :censor:! That is UNBELIEVABLE how much tighter it handles!!! "

Todd did you notice any reduction in normal ride comfort?

TAF
06-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Todd did you notice any reduction in normal ride comfort?
NONE Bill...in fact it's MUCH better. Send MARAUDERCHICK a PM and ask her how she liked it today....

MARAUDERCHICK
06-19-2004, 01:18 PM
No need to PM me........I'm here to tell you that Todd's car drove like an absolute dream today!!! OMG.....I was taking curves with my foot in the pedal and he's telling me to go faster!! FASTER!!!.......I go faster and this thing acted like we were going 10 MPH.....It was tight and right!!!!
It hugged the road.....there was no loosey goosey stuff.....and hitting bumps in the road...."What Bump"? is the question you ask!

I can NOT wait to get mine!!! Yes Todd....I'm convinced!!! I'll be ordering mine on Monday!!!

stevengerard
06-19-2004, 02:36 PM
Todd, you already had the aftermarket rear bar on before you did this and then you still noticed a significant difference? I've never changed both, but sounds like I'll have to try someones once they do it.

Donny Carlson
06-19-2004, 04:36 PM
It looks likes two pigs wrestling under a blanket....

What? Don't you realize.... that TODD is HIDING in there!!

TAF
06-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Todd, you already had the aftermarket rear bar on before you did this and then you still noticed a significant difference? I've never changed both, but sounds like I'll have to try someones once they do it.
Aftermarket rear bar...and most importantly...the Metco control arms, which are the best at keeping everything stable in the rear...

Bring on the performance front shocks we're working on!!!!!!! :banana:

sailsmen
06-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Actually, this depends on the track surface and level of preparation.

Regardless, the laws of physics still apply and traction on a rwd car will increase.

Donny Carlson
06-19-2004, 09:46 PM
The bigger front bar stiffens the front suspension, transfering less wt to the rear when launching.

Some cars disconnect the front sway for a better launch at the track.
That's what I need. A bigger front bar to offset the transfer of weight to my rear when lunching.:D

Donny Carlson
07-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Last Saturday after breakfast with Merc and Mrs. Merc and the usual suspects, I had a chance to drive TAF's car with the Addco front anti-sway bar. The drive was to check out his custom SCT program for the Stallion, which I did (and it's in my chip, too). After doing the shake down, I couldn't help but wonder why, if Todd's car is virtually identical (Eibachs, Metco Control Arms, mileage is close) it felt different. I remembered then that he had the Addco Sway bar and I did not.

This became VERY apparent when I took my car out for a test drive after Aric had burned Todd's T/C program on my chip. The same route, similar speeds, same hard cornering and accelerating, my car definitely leaned when Todd's car was rock steady. Not real bad, but a definite difference. An abrupt lane change at speed in Todd's car is flat, flat, flat. No lean that I could feel. My car, you could feel the car dip into the turn. Same on offramps. Todd's was flat and solid. Mine was very good (thank you Eibachs), but there was a definite lean.

I never drag race my car, but I do enjoy spirited road and highway drives.

This mod's for me.

hitchhiker
07-25-2004, 05:21 PM
What? Don't you realize.... that TODD is HIDING in there!!
I just lost my breakfast!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

schuvwj
08-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Unless you want the flattest, baddest, glued to the road, mac-daddiest, "twisty tamingest", bring on the curves Marauder.

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/watermark.php?file=500/83front_sway_bar_4.jpg

Todd, is the Addco front sway bar larger that our MM OEM bar?
Did you use the OEM bushings?
In your opinion is this mod still worth the money?

Thanks!

08-08-2004, 05:45 PM
There's a reason they are called SWAY bars. They reduce sway when cornering. In straight ahead conditions (like drag racing), they do little to nothing to "tighten" the suspension (unless they have some secondary stop to limit their travel or the bushings are really tight). If you're drag racing a sedan, you're not worrying about driving through curves and who needs more weight on the front end? Take them off and add weight to the trunk, if you're trying to make a class.

As far as handling the twisties, the heavier the bar, the more load is put on the outside wheel (when going around a corner) and the more likely it will start sliding. Thus a heavier front bar (without changes to the rear bar) will make a car "push" or understeer. Likewise, a heavier rear bar will cause a car's rear end to slide out and oversteer results (unless a heavier front bar is also put in).

Beefing up the sway bars will certainly reduce lean and improve control---if it's done in a balanced way. They will also help keep the tires more perpendicular to the road giving better traction. The trick is to size them so a car neither oversteers or grossly understeers. In a rear drive car, for optimum cornering, you want some "push" or understeer so that you can apply throttle and bring it to a neutral condition.

:beer:

rayjay
08-08-2004, 06:54 PM
I'd be happy with replacing the stock bar bushings with poly ones. They make a difference.

TAF
08-09-2004, 07:16 AM
Todd, is the Addco front sway bar larger that our MM OEM bar?
Did you use the OEM bushings?
In your opinion is this mod still worth the money?

Thanks!
Yes, it's 1.25" compared with the stock 1.10"

Only on the endlinks, were the stock bushings re-used. The bar comes with new poly bushings and brackets.

Most definately, especially if you want true performance handling. Keep in mind, I also have the Eibach springs in the front. It handles as flat as can be...no body-roll, the control is awesome.

Ask Fordnut, Donny Carlson, MARAUDERCHICK, Silver 04, 67435animal, MartyO what they think of the ride/handling. They are just some of the folks that have driven it.

schuvwj
08-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Yes, it's 1.25" compared with the stock 1.10"

Only on the endlinks, were the stock bushings re-used. The bar comes with new poly bushings and brackets.

Most definately, especially if you want true performance handling. Keep in mind, I also have the Eibach springs in the front. It handles as flat as can be...no body-roll, the control is awesome.

Ask Fordnut, Donny Carlson, MARAUDERCHICK, Silver 04, 67435animal, MartyO what they think of the ride/handling. They are just some of the folks that have driven it.

TAF thank you very much for your honest reply. You just convinced me what my next mod is going to be.

I do not have the lowered front yet but still hoping for simular handling improvements.

I will call addco tomarrow.

Thanks!

FordNut
08-09-2004, 08:02 PM
TAF thank you very much for your honest reply. You just convinced me what my next mod is going to be.

I do not have the lowered front yet but still hoping for simular handling improvements.

I will call addco tomarrow.

Thanks!
Let us know how many are on their backorder list. My name is on it. They should be producing a batch of them in the next few days based on what I was told when I ordered mine.

Silver_04
08-09-2004, 08:20 PM

:up: sums it up. Fantastic handling.

"Whoo haa, the gravity just pulls you in, don't it!"

TAF
08-10-2004, 09:32 AM
Let us know how many are on their backorder list. My name is on it. They should be producing a batch of them in the next few days based on what I was told when I ordered mine.
I just spoke to "my source"...they've got plenty in stock. ADDCO Part# 2196. Anyone wanting the identity of "my source", feel free to PM me.

FordNut
08-10-2004, 12:18 PM
I just spoke to "my source"...they've got plenty in stock. ADDCO Part# 2196. Anyone wanting the identity of "my source", feel free to PM me.
I reckon that means mine will be waiting on the front porch when I get back home. When I ordered mine they were not "in stock" and they had a list of 8 buyers who had already ordered. They were planning a production run in the next 10-14 days, which should be about now.

BruteForce
08-10-2004, 01:04 PM

Thanks TAF. Ordered and on its way. :up:

FordNut
08-10-2004, 01:33 PM
I reckon that means mine will be waiting on the front porch when I get back home. When I ordered mine they were not "in stock" and they had a list of 8 buyers who had already ordered. They were planning a production run in the next 10-14 days, which should be about now.
Yes indeed I called and they told me it shipped yesterday. Got the tracking # and checked UPS, it was delivered today. Maybe I should make a quick trip up there tomorrow and pick it up so Scott can install it before I get back from the trip to Wisconsin. If not, I guess I can install it when I get back. Gotta paint it black first anyway.

TAF
08-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Sounds good guys...I'm interested to feel the difference on yours Brian, without the Eibachs. :up:

FordNut
08-10-2004, 02:14 PM
Sounds good guys...I'm interested to feel the difference on yours Brian, without the Eibachs. :up:
Should be on there before the next breakfast! Maybe I should get the car back from the Watts link install and test it a couple of days before installing the sway bar so I can get step-by-step improvement data.

Rear bar helped cornering a lot.
Tubular rear control arms mostly helped the launch but also tightened the rear in cornering.
Watts link being installed.
Front sway bar on my front porch waiting for me.