PDA

View Full Version : Alternator problem report

Pat
10-02-2019, 05:33 PM
My volt meter was reading lower than usual and the idle was sometimes surging. Symptoms of a bad alternator I'm​ told.
So my son the Honda mech and new owner of Silverback took the alternator to the shop for a look/see. The tech said the pulley was turning but the alternator was frozen.

I'll report back on the findings, repair parts and labor cost after I get the alternator back and reinstalled.

Cheers,

03Merc
10-03-2019, 06:40 AM
Might as well upgrade it to 200Amp and adjust the tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Peace2Peep
10-03-2019, 10:33 AM
How does a different or higher output alternator affect or need a tune? I didn't know that!

03Merc
10-03-2019, 12:55 PM
How does a different or higher output alternator affect or need a tune? I didn't know that!

You have to adjust the regulator for the correct charge I believe. I'm not too smart with that yet but I did have My alternator upgraded and My tuner said He would have to adjust it for Me on the tune.

SteelQualityMan
10-04-2019, 07:22 PM
You have to adjust the regulator for the correct charge I believe. I'm not too smart with that yet but I did have My alternator upgraded and My tuner said He would have to adjust it for Me on the tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProOn the stock Marauder alternator I think the voltage regulator is integral with the alternator, and is not adjustable.

The stock alternator has an overrev-disconnect clutch in the pulley. If that clutch fails you could get the symptoms you described. But in that case your voltmeter would slowly drop to a point where the car wouldn't run at all because the battery would be discharging with nothing coming from the alternator.

The surging could be an idle air control and/or a throttle position sensor going bad. I just had to replace both of those on my MM.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

03Merc
10-04-2019, 10:47 PM
On the stock Marauder alternator I think the voltage regulator is integral with the alternator, and is not adjustable.

The stock alternator has an overrev-disconnect clutch in the pulley. If that clutch fails you could get the symptoms you described. But in that case your voltmeter would slowly drop to a point where the car wouldn't run at all because the battery would be discharging with nothing coming from the alternator.

The surging could be an idle air control and/or a throttle position sensor going bad. I just had to replace both of those on my MM.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My alternator is not stock and neither is the pulley or regulator. It's all upgraded, with a tune adjustment.

Turbov6Bryan
10-07-2019, 06:59 AM
Pat- you should buy a cigarette lighter plug in digital meter.
i have a digital volt readout and USB socket assy.

Stock gauge reads like crap and the digital readout will tell you what your alternator is doing while driving.
i bought mine off amazon.
i have a 200 amp alt in my car and no special tune, sometimes it fails to charge at moments, then picks back up...
AJ what did you adjust? Mine does it at random, I loaned my oem alt to a buddy and swapped in this 200 amp alt that I pulled off one of my parts marauders.. I don't know the history of the car or the alt.. never drove it

MyBlackBeasts
10-07-2019, 04:30 PM

Stock gauge reads like crap and the digital readout will tell you what your alternator is doing while driving.
i have a 200 amp alt in my car and no special tune, sometimes it fails to charge at moments, then picks back up...
AJ what did you adjust? Mine does it at random, I loaned my oem alt to a buddy and swapped in this 200 amp alt that I pulled off one of my parts marauders.. I don't know the history of the car or the alt.. never drove it

Cool! https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cigarette+lighter+voltage+ meter+with+usb&crid=D2AH9LSTCCAW&sprefix=cigarette+lighter+volt %2Caps%2C346&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_22

justbob
10-07-2019, 08:13 PM

My tune was never adjusted for my 200 amp. I did the big 3 at the same time and all I can say is WOW what a difference. It never fails to charge either.

Pat
10-08-2019, 12:50 PM
Well, I picked up the repaired alternator and installed it yesterday. Works fine. The shop even painted it a combo of Ford blue, internals, and silver, external, at no additional cost.
They replaced all the bearings and diodes. Cost was $158.00 plus tax (10% here).
I'm a happy camper.

MarauderPU
10-10-2019, 08:56 AM
I am jumping into this discussion because I am looking for new 200 amp alternator recommendations. I have the Eaton swap so my alternator spins backwards, I think. I have heard the police interceptor is a 200 amp unit. Can it be used on the typical eaton swap? Thanks Buck

Turbov6Bryan
10-11-2019, 08:02 AM
I am jumping into this discussion because I am looking for new 200 amp alternator recommendations. I have the Eaton swap so my alternator spins backwards, I think. I have heard the police interceptor is a 200 amp unit. Can it be used on the typical eaton swap? Thanks Buck
No. The cop car is not pulse width modulated... lots of threads on this issue, it will bolt up and randomly not charge