PDA

View Full Version : Tailgating & Brights

sailsmen
11-26-2019, 08:23 AM
Last night I was driving on a bridge.

It was under construction so the right lane was blocked off. There was a line of traffic backed up in the remaining left lane.

The car in front of me had a broken 3rd brake light, the tail lights came on intermittently and very dim.

I am 3 car lengths back from the car in front of me with the broken brake lights.

The car behind me is less than one third a car length behind me for 6 miles. He then begins to flash his brights.

There is absolutely no where for me to go except over the side into the water. Ramming the car in front of me won't change anything there is a of mile of cars stacked in front of us.

He then turns on his brights and leaves them on. I begin to dial the Police and fortunately for him the right lane now becomes available.

What could this person possibly be thinking?

kirk
11-26-2019, 09:41 AM
What could this person possibly be thinking?

They are way more important than you, and that reasonable 3 car lengths you are giving is slowing them down by a tenth of a second

Blakshukvw
11-26-2019, 10:29 AM
He’s not thinking, just like millions of dumb ass drivers everyday. People do stupid crap on the road everyday when I’m driving. I’ve just resolved myself to the fact that they’re gonna be stupid. So when I see someone doing something stupid, I let tham know about it. Honk like an *******. Fast lane drivers that don’t go the speed limit or move, they get moved. Red light runners, they get hung out in the middle of the intersection because when I get a green light, I go and the other drivers behind me many times just follow too. I can think of many situations like these that occur daily. I’m tired of bad drivers and I have no qualms about letting them know.

justbob
11-26-2019, 04:22 PM
I’m quilty of tailgating in usual traffic. If I don’t then the car leaving all the space in front of him/her gets filled up from the other lane. Seems they aren’t in any particular hurry to get anywhere and anybody that wants to can just come on over. Most normally it’s an asshat texting and keeping a crash distance. I would never play the brights game though.

Your case is completely different however. You were in a single lane with no reason to be following closely. Unless you were the one guy who lets everybody and anybody in that’s leaving stores and merging in every 100’ but I doubt that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sailsmen
11-26-2019, 05:46 PM
The Bridge is 24 miles long. There were 2 sections under construction. This 6 mile 1 lane section was the second section.

So if I rode the bumper on the car in front of me with the broken brake lights the car behind me would be 3 car lengths closer to the end of a 24 mile bridge?

I agree with "Honk like an *******". Until we start calling attention to their dangerous driving there is no chance their behavior will change.

Interesting in that a month ago I proclaimed I was going to start wailing on the horn.

MyBlackBeasts
11-26-2019, 07:12 PM
The Bridge is 24 miles long.

Lake Pontchartrain Causeway?

Agent2006
11-27-2019, 08:01 AM
There's your answer right there "Cajun drivers, no survivors" . Although I would not consider Mandeville LA Cajun country. Thing about Louisiana is as aggressive as they may drive, they usually don't mean anything personal. Just crazy. And they wonder why their car insurance is to the moon.

Good thing about legal handguns in cars in Louisiana, cuts down on road rage incidents. (Lived there 2001-2008):gunfire: