PDA

View Full Version : Re: Advice Requested / Front Struts & Springs

Ambitious1
01-23-2020, 05:31 PM
I would like to ask for everyone's advice. The right front spring on my MM broke and I decided to go ahead and replace the shocks and springs on both sides at the local Ford dealer. The shocks were available, but the springs are obsolete from Ford. The Ford dealer offered to put aftermarket shocks and springs and now the car's front end is sitting about an one and half inch higher than OEM on both front left and right sides. (Not OEM height, but an inch and half higher than OEM). I was told that the new shocks and springs would settle, but somehow it seems too high to be correct. Has anyone else experienced this? Is the mechanic correct? Or should I go back to the dealer and have the service manager review the repair? Thank you in advance.

justbob
01-23-2020, 07:10 PM
They will settle.... Some. After a week or two I’ve seen +/- 1/2” after that a looong time to settle more.

If the tech was any good he would have torqued down the upper control arms at ride height. Otherwise they will bind the bushing and cause it to sit a little high but more importantly premature wear on the bushings. Being a dealer I would “assume” it was done correctly.

There is different spring rates for panthers and quite often with most other parts they claim fitment when in reality they don’t. I would at least get the manager to look into it just so it is a documented concern so months down the road when it still looks like a truck you can have some recourse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

offroadkarter
01-23-2020, 07:20 PM
I'm willing to bet you got coils meant for a civilian spec crown vic & grand marq, they're not going to settle 1.5"

You'll either need to trim a coil to drop it down an inch or find a used set of marauder coils here

Curless
01-25-2020, 11:44 AM
My car had the front springs replaced at the dealer before I owned it, it sat exactly as you are saying... too high by an inch or so. I pulled them out, cut off 1 full coil and reinstalled them. If I had it to do again, I'd cut 1.5 coils off.