PDA

View Full Version : Never buy a car from family...

RF Overlord
06-22-2004, 06:30 AM
No, not THE Family...

A colleague recently bought a '98 CVLX from his mother...the car had originally been his father's company car, which he received new, and purchased for personal use when he got another company car. When my friend bought it (with approx 90,000 miles; remember that number), he wanted me to teach him how to do the simple maintenance items: change the oil, filters, belts, etc...his father was insistent that the car "doesn't need ANYTHING...EVERYTHING was done according to the manual".

Ahem.

First: I've seen raw sewage that looked cleaner than the coolant. If it had been flushed "according to the manual", or indeed if it had even been done ONCE, it would have been cleaner than it was...

Second: The oil was down 3 quarts (!)...this in a motor that only holds 5 in the first place...after my friend dumped in 3 quarts of whatever oil he had in the trunk of his Honda, it was still dark and ugly...and he said it leaked, too. I changed the oil with him, using some Pennzoil 5W-30 synth blend I had left over from another job...2 months later, he hadn't needed to add any...

Third: When we changed the fuel filter, it was very obviously the original.

Fourth: The front end made a horrible creaking every time you turned the wheel...no, it wasn't the PS pump...it was the total and complete lack of any grease whatsoever on any of the tie-rod ends, idler arm, etc...

Fifth: In light of the condition of the above items, I recommended that we change the transmission fluid and filter as well. Since it looked surprisingly clean and smelled OK, my friend called his father to ask if he remembered when the ATF was last changed...his father said he didn't know it NEEDED changing... :eek:

OK, so my point is this: we all know not to listen to used car salesmen, but apparently you can't even believe your own family when it comes to car maintenance...my friend bought this car for his wife to use going to CT to visit her family, and to Boston for her job in radio...if we had believed his father, this POS could have (WOULD have) left her stranded on the highway somewhere 2 hours from home...

It's also a sad commentary on the lack of knowledge people have about the proper maintenance of a vehicle they expect to haul them all over the place, only to piss and moan when it breaks down... :shake:

2003 MIB
06-22-2004, 07:07 AM
That's a scary story, RF!!!!! :(
I think the most surprising part to me is that it was still running with a 90K fuel filter... :confused:

Dr Caleb
06-22-2004, 07:14 AM
Yup. Good advice. But I don't know about *never* buying from family. I'd say *never* trust anyone has maintained a vehicle like I would, family or no.

I bought a 1980 Merc Cougar off my mom for $10, and it was in sad shape indeed. After some motor work and a couple hundred in parts, I drove it 3 years without a hitch. But, it was excactally what I expected from a $10 car.

I also have family that believed that oil only needs changing yearly. Fuel, oil and air filters don't need to be replaced. Coolant? Whazzat? And he wonders why his car never starts if it below -20C outside (even plugged in!)

Marauderjack
06-22-2004, 07:26 AM
We have a 98 CV and it doesn't have any grease fittings?? :confused:

The noise I hear when turning sharp is the anti-sway bar "croaking"...I've lubed it a few times and it stops!! ;)

Also had ugly coolant....changed it recently and it's nice now!! :beer:

BTW.....We have about 200K miles on it and it runs like new!! NO OIL CONSUMPTION YET?? :D On the fourth set of tires!! :rock:

I have had several CV's and all but the '92 were excellent cars!! ;)

Marauderjack :rasta:

RF Overlord
06-22-2004, 07:37 AM
I think the most surprising part to me is that it was still running with a 90K fuel filter...

Well, in all fairness...the shop my friend's father used is a Firestone dealer...the oil and air filters on this car had the Firestone name and logo, but the fuel filter was a Motorcraft...I guess it's possible they didn't have one in stock and went to the dealer to buy it...but there are 2 parts jobbers within walking distance of the Firestone shop (a lot closer than the dealer), and neither one sells Motorcraft...the filter that came off the car definitely hadn't been replaced recently, in any case...

duhtroll
06-22-2004, 11:02 AM
I had a friend once sell a car that had no oil pan. Drove it to the point of sale and the other guy drove it home.

It's OK, he sold it to a :censor:

-A

PS Yeah, I know, comments about "What? He had a friend?" Well, yes I did.

Once.

RoyLPita
06-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Fourth: The front end made a horrible creaking every time you turned the wheel...no, it wasn't the PS pump...it was the total and complete lack of any grease whatsoever on any of the tie-rod ends, idler arm, etc...

Since grease fittings haven't been available for a while, a front end inspection is necessary on cars like this from 2002 on down.

Just my .02 and then some.

2003 MIB
06-22-2004, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I know, comments about "What? He had a friend?" Well, yes I did. Once.

We're all your friends, Drew!! We think you're the coolest Band Director ever!!!
You may also be the funniest person in Iowa...

(see you thought it was just the voices in your head...)

Dr Caleb
06-22-2004, 02:03 PM
(see you thought it was just the voices in your head...)

You have the same accent . . . ;)

Patrick
06-22-2004, 02:10 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :censor: