PDA

View Full Version : Major suckage - I may have surgery before MVII

Donny Carlson
06-22-2004, 06:27 PM
While I was waiting around for my mufflers to be installed, I got a call from my doctor with the results of an MRI I had on my right knee last week. Two torn tendons, each one I can't pronounce. I see the surgeon on the 30th, and man, I am really hoping this can be treated without opening up the knee.

Crud, the leg I use for the throttle :censor:

Maybe if the surgery is early enough in July I can still drive up to Indy. I'm still planning on going, even If I have to draft a driver.;)

MYSTA KANG
06-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Donny, this is what my degree is in Kinesiology. The ligaments that you are refering to is the Medial Collateral and the Lateral Collateral Ligaments. These two ligaments attach to your femor and your fibula and tibia. The funnything is how in the world are you able to stand up and walk, or can you walk. I cant think of anyway but your lower leg being pulled and twisted at the same time to tear those ligaments. Man I know they are a pain. And forget about not having surgery, that's the only way to repair. But in the mean time apply ice to them every chance you get and take ibuproferen 2wice a day that will cut the pain and swelling at least 50%

chrish
06-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Who needs legs when you have a Rauder?

Patrick
06-22-2004, 07:02 PM
While I was waiting around for my mufflers to be installed, I got a call from my doctor with the results of an MRI I had on my right knee last week. Two torn tendons, each one I can't pronounce. I see the surgeon on the 30th, and man, I am really hoping this can be treated without opening up the knee.

Maybe if the surgery is early enough in July I can still drive up to Indy. I'm still planning on going, even If I have to draft a driver.;)

Your knee is more than MM2!!!!!1

bigslim
06-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Sorry about your injury Donny. I hope everything turns out ok.

TooManyFords
06-22-2004, 07:50 PM

If you can't drive, I'll come and pick you up.

:)

John

Garfield
06-22-2004, 07:52 PM

Donny: No problem Big Dog will head south (again) and pick you up:):):)

CRUZTAKER
06-22-2004, 07:53 PM
I was hoping to meet 'THE DONNY'.....damn....

Well, coming from a guy that has had two a-scopes of the gas pedal knee for torn M/C's and three on the left shoulder for rotator cuff impingements (sp?), blow it off till after the MV-II event....after all, it ain't gettin' any worse....err better?

The knee surgery via lasers is really mellow, but you will still have at minimum 12 weeks laid up. The first two weeks really suck BAD! After that you'll get around, but driving is no treat.

I am scheduled for another knee surgery, but I just deal with the pain in the mean while, and am waiting for another possible long term dry time for telecom work to have it done.

Good luck, but if yours is as bad as mine...it'll wait.:P

Donny Carlson
06-22-2004, 07:54 PM
If you can't drive, I'll come and pick you up.

:)

JohnIf I can't drive, I can probably hitch a ride with someone heading that way, or fly in and catch a cab to the hotel. I may just bring someone along to do the driving, since I really want to bring my car (the motivating factor for the push for mods). The offer is appreciated.

I'm going to ask about scheduling it after MvII as well. MVII is at the end of my choice vacation period, and I really don't want to spend my vacation recooping from knee surgery. That's what sick leave is for ;)

But, the offer to ride with Garfield is VERY tempting......:up:

Fourth Horseman
06-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your busted throttle leg, Donny. Sure hope you get it all fixed up in time for MVII. Is your leg covered under the manufacturer's warranty? :D

martyo
06-23-2004, 02:20 AM
Donny, Look on the bright side. Maybe while you are in the hospital the "head" nurse will come visit you.

crimzon
06-23-2004, 07:18 AM
Donny, Look on the bright side. Maybe while you are in the hospital the "head" nurse will come visit you.
:lol:.. Hope all turns out well Donny.

Ross
06-23-2004, 07:32 AM

Where is that hospital? My knee ain't feeling too good lately! :banana:

cyclone03
06-23-2004, 05:02 PM
Where is that hospital? My knee ain't feeling too good lately! :banana:

Ross I'm sure they don't work on the "wee" ones. :banana: :shot: :lol:

Smokie
06-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Donny, sorry you messed up your knee, I damaged collateral ligaments playing soccer when I was about 24 years old, I was put on a cast for almost 2 months, no surgery. I continued playing sports until about 42. Knee surgery in the 70's was kinda barbaric so I passed on it.

They do make smaller holes today...best wishes on a speedy recovery.

SouLRioT
06-24-2004, 05:21 AM
Donny, good luck and it should all work out for you. I too had knee surgery and I was walking in less than a week. But My suggestion would be do what ever the Doctor says. If he says waiting wont hurt it then wait. Main thing is do what the Dr. say's.

Donny Carlson
07-01-2004, 03:06 PM
My knee doc is treating me with injections, anti-inflammatory meds, and pain killers for the next three weeks, then I get more pictures taken to decide wether to break out the knife. Any surgery would happen in August, so, looks like you all WILL be putting up with me -- and my car -- at MVII.

Fourth Horseman
07-01-2004, 03:37 PM
My knee doc is treating me with injections, anti-inflammatory meds, and pain killers for the next three weeks, then I get more pictures taken to decide wether to break out the knife. Any surgery would happen in August, so, looks like you all WILL be putting up with me -- and my car -- at MVII.

Excellent news, glad to hear it! :beer:

Bigdogjim
07-01-2004, 03:51 PM
But, the offer to ride with Garfield is VERY tempting......:up:

Hey Donny: I even talked the Cat into sitting in the back seat:):):)

Glad to hear your better :baaa:

First ones on me :beer:

chrish
07-01-2004, 07:44 PM
can you still buy P.O.C. BEER in Cleveland?

Patrick
07-02-2004, 12:47 AM

:up: :up: :up: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Haggis
07-02-2004, 03:44 AM

Great news Donny, look foward to meeting you at Indy. :beer:

GordonB
07-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Donny,
Glad to hear that you will be coming to Indy. Hope you can hold out for surgery until later in August. Make sure the orthopedist does an MRI before making any decisions. Just a suggestion.
GordonB

Dr Caleb
07-02-2004, 09:03 AM
Dude! I hope it gets better!

I've got so much kevlar and tantalum in my knees it's a wonder I don't set off metal detectors. Many many ski accidents, I used to race and the injuries to my ligaments and a rebuild of my ACL kept me off the 1988 Olympic team . . .

The first surgery, I had to have my leg in a cast, knee bent and foot turned in. The whole thing was strapped and hung from around the knee to my kneck for 12 weeks. Just try to look dignified in that position :shake: But I can highly reccommend Percodan and Percoset! :up:

Here's a thought - use your left foot for brakes, use the cruise for go/go faster. Naaa, city driving would bite. . .

Hope it gets better man!