PDA

View Full Version : Air Bag Light - 2016 Ford Explorer

crouse
08-24-2020, 11:55 AM
The air bag light on my wife's 2016 Ford Explorer Sport is on. I checked the connections under the seats to make sure nothing was disconnected. Anyone run into anything similar?

Thanks,
Curt

Spectragod
08-24-2020, 01:12 PM
All the time, the most common failure for that is the driver side seat belt buckle, a code reader will be needed to determine that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spectragod
08-24-2020, 01:13 PM
All the time, the most common failure for that is the driver side seat belt buckle, a code reader will be needed to determine that though.

Iirc, there was a tsb on that from Ford, not warrantable, unless your super tight with your deal and/or have super low miles on the vehicle.

crouse
08-24-2020, 01:51 PM
I'm guessing my simple code reader will not work to identify the problem? I watched a couple YouTube videos where the guy had this fancy touch screen device.

Spectragod
08-24-2020, 02:03 PM
I'm guessing my simple code reader will not work to identify the problem? I watched a couple YouTube videos where the guy had this fancy touch screen device.

No clue, I have a IDS at my disposal. I would suggest ForScan and the inexpensive interface they suggest, or, maybe a local auto parts store can read srs codes

crouse
08-24-2020, 04:54 PM
Now the air bag light is off. Something must have triggered it and I'm guessing a certain number of key cycles reset the light?

Spectragod
08-24-2020, 05:31 PM
I fixed one of those a couple months ago in the ‘15 take home that I have, was intermittent, had a code for the buckle, changed it and haven’t had it come back on. The biggest issue is when the light is on, the srs is disabled, meaning if your in a collision, no airbags or seatbelt pretensioners will work.

crouse
08-25-2020, 09:16 AM
Called O'Reilly Auto and they said their scanner will identify where the issue is located. Next time it comes on, I'll bring it there right away.

Thank you everyone for your help on this.

MyBlackBeasts
08-26-2020, 04:20 PM
Called O'Reilly Auto and they said their scanner will identify where the issue is located. Next time it comes on, I'll bring it there right away.

Thank you everyone for your help on this.

The code may be held in memory. If you're driving by, swing in and have them check it.

Spectragod
08-26-2020, 06:15 PM
The code may be held in memory. If you're driving by, swing in and have them check it.

It generally sets a hard code, it will be in there for 200 key cycles iirc

crouse
08-26-2020, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll do that on Thirsday.