PDA

View Full Version : Identify this building type?

Taemian
08-27-2020, 08:18 AM
I'm looking for info about this building construction, but nothing on Google comes up.

It's not a quonset hut, these diamond-shaped aluminum panels are simply the roofing riveted together and the end walls (at this point) are rotting plywood held together by nails and sprayfoam!:eek:
It's on a decent slab with solid oldgrowth timber for the frame on the first floor holding up the second floor, which is braced with 2x4 and 2x6 to the roof.

I've tried using words like "diamond/geometric/honeycomb/aluminum/panel/building/barn/shed" in my searches, but I get nothing. I'm trying to see the viability of this in the sense of teardown vs rebuild. This shop was built in 1986, which makes it close to 40 years old. The property has gone "wild" since 2015, so keep that in mind.

This building really keeps with the heritage and character of the rst of the property, but not if it's going to be double the amount to fix as opposed to building a new shop.

Any ideas from the collective hive what this is called?

Thanks!5099350992

kirk
08-27-2020, 11:07 AM
Home made, self invented, with recycled parts. That's my guess. I don't think those panels were made for roofing, but I could be wrong.

Mr. Man
08-27-2020, 11:19 AM
I've been in the biz for almost 40 years and never seen a roof like that. The barn looks like it started its life as a gambrel style barn and from the looks of it I'd say it was built way before 1986. The roof portion looks like some sort of geodesic experiment. Perhaps someone took down one of those geo homes that were sort of popular in the late 60's and early 70's and fabbed up a roof with the parts. If it is a total mess it would be easier and cheaper to knock it down and build what you want. You could even scrap the roofing and get some money back.

MMBLUE
08-27-2020, 11:48 AM
Almost a Quonset Hut style. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quonset_hut

The style originated in Rhode Island.

justbob
08-27-2020, 02:53 PM
Looks like it was a major PITA to build!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

justbob
08-27-2020, 03:07 PM
Almost looks like these Alucobond panels.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200827/d7b406248ace560fcace22a8567c2d 44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Taemian
08-27-2020, 09:31 PM
I've been in the biz for almost 40 years and never seen a roof like that. The barn looks like it started its life as a gambrel style barn and from the looks of it I'd say it was built way before 1986. The roof portion looks like some sort of geodesic experiment. Perhaps someone took down one of those geo homes that were sort of popular in the late 60's and early 70's and fabbed up a roof with the parts. If it is a total mess it would be easier and cheaper to knock it down and build what you want. You could even scrap the roofing and get some money back.

There are actually a few spare panels still left in this barn. Considering the fact that this exterior roof is anywhere between 40 to 60 years old and has no perceptible leaks or wear, maybe I'll just give it a concrete block perimeter foundation, skim coat the slab for smoothness, and reuse the roof. Hmmmm...those end panels though. Not sure what to do.

You mentioned you were in the biz for 40 years, is that a roofing business? Any ideas would be welcomed!

Mr. Man
08-27-2020, 11:13 PM
Based what you described and what I can see I'd go with my original thought. Rehabbing old, worn out and presumably out of code buildings is costly, overly time consuming, dirty and generally just a PITA. Unless it's some building that has historical significance I'd rebuild with something faster, easier and more cost efficient to build. If your worried about the roof put a 40 year architectural roof on it. You'll be drinking your meals through a straw by the time it needs replacing.

What are your intentions for the building?