PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for start up

azgolfrat
02-02-2021, 11:32 AM
Hi Guys,
well, it's been since Nov 2019 (remember those days? :-) ), but I am getting close to start up.
Since the engine has been rebuilt, the tranny rebuilt with shift kit, the V7-JT super charger added, SW long pipe headers added, I am going to need to get the ECU "tuned".

How is this done?
Is it safe to turn the car over at all prior to the tune?
Is this done with no problem remotely or should I go local (Phoenix area)? If remote, how does that work?

Any and all inputs would be much appreciated. I'll be in the garage, all day, trying to tighten the 3rd starter bolt. :-)

justbob
02-02-2021, 02:09 PM
Mo’s Speedshop can tune it remotely. I’m kind of surprised the kit you bought doesn’t just come with an Xcal? You’ll need an Xcal 4 and a laptop and they can get you dialed in. Obviously the best way especially supercharged would be to just go in for a tune, but I’ve heard good things about remote tuning. Just call Mo and ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

azgolfrat
02-02-2021, 03:02 PM
JB, no "Xcal". I will call Mo's.
Thanks.
OK to turn car over in the garage w/o a tune?
-KK

justbob
02-02-2021, 04:29 PM
I’ve driven Eaton swaps around the neighborhood with no tune but never over 1,800 RPMS or BOOM but I’m a gambler. Are you?

The last build I did on mine it was winched onto my trailer and towed 12 hours for a tune from Mo’s. I certainly wasn’t going to waste the last $15,000 in upgrades just to feel warm and fuzzy hearing it run.

Everything was properly torqued, welded, soldered, fluids filled, fuel lines pressurized, and all buttoned up and ready to be flogged. No issues that were quick adjustments and on the rollers she went. I trust my confidence LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

musclemerc
02-02-2021, 04:50 PM
Remote tuning works great for low boost setups, high boost not so much. How many psi you plan on making?

Peace2Peep
02-02-2021, 06:38 PM
I get scared when people start cars without tuning on TV shows...I'm nervous for you already! Ha! I'm sure idling wont break anything. Driving? Heckz no!

Joe Walsh
02-02-2021, 08:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can start, idle and even drive it gently without a tune.....BUT I wouldn't run ANY boost nor ANY serious revs before it had been properly tuned.

Detonation can make head gaskets and even forged pistons and rods go.... Bye Bye!

musclemerc
02-03-2021, 06:50 AM
I get scared when people start cars without tuning on TV shows...I'm nervous for you already! Ha! I'm sure idling wont break anything. Driving? Heckz no!

I'm pretty sure that you can start, idle and even drive it gently without a tune.....BUT I wouldn't run ANY boost nor ANY serious revs before it had been properly tuned.

Detonation can make head gaskets and even forged pistons and rods go.... Bye Bye!

The stock PCM is setup for 19lb injectors and an 80mm MAF

OP, the car will not start or idle correctly without a startup tune set for the parts you currently have on the car.