PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where to look up Ford TSBs????

ADE 1000
06-25-2004, 01:25 PM
My dad has a 2002 Mountaineer Premier that is coming off lease. He has replaced it with a Cadillac SRX V-8, but my cousin was contemplating purchasing the Mountaineer because the buy out price is somewhat attractive.

The problem is that since new there has been an awful clunk coming from the trans or somewhere else in the driveline. It happens most often when you are accelerating and then let off the gas. We took it in to the dealer initially and they said it was fine, but the problem persisted. No one cared enough to fight with them about it since we would only have the truck for a short time. But since someone in the family is considering buying it, I want to make sure I can get this resolved before we agree to sell the car to them.

There are several TSBs I saw on alldata that relate to this. Does anyone know how to look them up?? They are listed below:

03-14-7 5R55W 4th - 5th Upshift/Downshift Shudder

01-20-3 A/T - 5R55W Harsh Upshifts

01-11-1 A/T - 5R55W Soft/Harsh 2nd - 3rd & 3rd - 4th Gear Shifts

RoyLPita
06-25-2004, 02:19 PM
I checked out the TSBs and they are all for reprogramming the PCM. The clunk noise could be from the driveshaft U-joints and/or driveshaft. If the vehicle is still available, then take it to another dealer to see if they can do the repair.

just my .02 and then some.

RCSignals
06-25-2004, 03:42 PM
Is it a 4X4? May seem odd but have them also check the front axle, mounting points etc.
But as RoyLPita says, sounds like drive shaft or U-joints.

ADE 1000
06-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I figured the TSBs were for programming, which is what I feared. It is full time AWD and I agree that it is probably related to something in the drive line.

I would let another dealer take a stab at it, but the problem is that the truck is due back by the end of the month and I am not sure I can get someone to take a good look at it by then. I think I might advise my cousin to pass on it. Which is a shame, because otherwise it is a great SUV.

Garfield
06-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Any Ford dealer should be able to access TSB.

All you need is a vin#

You can go to the National Trasportation safety board web site and look up any recalls.

Sorry I don't have the link just do a google search:)

FiveO
06-26-2004, 07:45 AM
http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=539&scid=98

FiveO
06-26-2004, 07:45 AM
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm